PDA

View Full Version : Input on this one? (Paris)

Stephanie_Millner
11-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Considering entering 4 different "pano" type prints of 4 different European cities this year. Overall, I need at least 3 merits this year... So, just processed this one.

Two things I noticed. The screen cap I used here doesn't look clear - but everything is in focus all the way to the horizon. I can see detail all the way back. Secondly, I know I need to remove the crosswalk at the bottom of the image. Didn't notice it until I added the keyline.

What do we think?
http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/paris_comp_presentation.JPG

detail:
http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/paris_detail.JPG

Joe_Campanellie
11-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Steff...could just be me but the horizon looks a little crocked. That or it's just the meds for this bronchitis.

As far as the crosswalk at the bottom I think I would just crop it a little more to remove it. Rather than retouching it out. Don't think the crop will hurt the image.

Judging from what's on my monitor might also take the mat down just a little bit darker. It's just about the same shade as the tower and you don't want the mat top compete for attention.

With the new size rules that will go into effect I think there will be an overabundance of panos this year.

Hope that helps...

Ron_Jackson
11-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Yes the horizon is crooked. Sorry Steff. Just one of my pet peeves when I see uneven horizons.

That tall tower thing is dominating the photo. Maybe you could clone it out. :) Love the image and I am so jealous you are getting to go and photograph all these wonderful places. Yeah you!

Stephanie_Millner
11-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks for catching that. Yeah, I can straighten that out. I had to look at it with guides in photoshop to see what you saw (guess my head is just naturally crooked!)

Does it bother you that the horizon is centered?

P.S. - Ron you can always come visit!

photosbybobby
11-06-2010, 11:01 AM
(guess my head is just naturally crooked!)

Bahahahaha! :)

Doesn't bother me that the horizon is centered. Probably because the tower extends beyond the horizon. But I too noticed the crookedness of the 2nd one ;) I also agree with Joe about darkening the mat a bit.

Stephanie_Millner
11-06-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm between the one above, and this one. I just can't figure out how to present these panos, which is the main problem...

This is like 22x4" to remain proportionate.

http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/paris_pano_comp_pres.JPG

Joe_Galioto
11-06-2010, 01:29 PM
wow steph.
your making me so jealous, i want to get back to europe.
there both awesome images.
joe

Ron_Jackson
11-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Love this second one as well. This one would be a crazy awesome HDR night shot beginning with an exposure about this time of day going into dark night with all the lights on then blended.

I love pano work. I have some great panos that I would love to submit for comp but with the current size restrictions, they just wouldn't have a chance due to the ratio. I hope you submit this one as well as the first one.

Tss1203
11-06-2010, 01:46 PM
love them both, the first is my favorite. Definitely could see this as a beautiful piece of art hanging in a home :)

Joe_Campanellie
11-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Steff...I like the second one better.I would also push it to 24"(including presentation) to get as much image on the board as possible

Ron...what do you mean about the current size restrictions? Those will all become a mute point with the 2011 PPA competition when everyone (masters and non masters) will be able to submit prints up to 20x24". In fact, the Southwest district already adapted the new size rules. So you can present your images as panos as long as they are no longer than 24".

I have to admit. I shyed away from panos for a long time. But, when I started entering my nature and avian images they just seem to naturally fall into that kind of format.

Jack_Reznicki
11-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Steff,

CC- the first one looks too much like a post card to me. The second one is more a photographer's eye, IMO. The first one is "nice", but you bring more to the party with the second one.
The first one has too much sky for me which centers the horizon line right in the middle. Would like to see it off set more by losing some of the sky. Breaks it into two different photographs for me otherwise.
The contrast/color boost is also a bit over the top for me. Would like to see it scaled back at least 50% so it isn't the first thing I see. I'd rather let the image come through first and have the effect be more subtle. The images are both strong enough without needing so much PS help.

Great shots. But then how can you go wrong in Paree <s>
Have you taken any shots at the Musee D'Orsay's clock from inside? One of my favorite spots to shoot for some reason. Always hits me.

GregYager
11-06-2010, 02:42 PM
That tall tower thing is dominating the photo. Maybe you could clone it out. :)

Yeah that all tower thingy is a bit dominating.

I like the idea of HDR blended with a night shot. I too would say I'm jealous but that would be an understatement.

Missy50
11-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Now that looks good.

Missy50
11-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Can you put the tower in there somewhere? Over to the right. Middle right in place of the other building. Or in the area right of it. Not being picky or anything. Just curious to see what it would look like.

Stephanie_Millner
11-06-2010, 03:27 PM
@Ron - new size restrictions let you submit panos. You can submit anything up to 24" by whatever crop you want.

@Jack - actually I stretched the sky higher in the first one, but I totally see what you're saying. I don't think I can enter both (and I have 3 other cities - Rome, Oslo, and Luzern - I think I want to use anyway) because they're the same "subject" I suppose.

@Missy - What?

Missy50
11-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Sorry Steff, I did not make myself clear. I think it would be cool to have the Eiffel Tower sticking up out of the horizon. Or just see what it might look like. Maybe put it where that other building is. Not that you do not have anything else better to do. (But swap buildings and towers around in photos.) And It might not have anything to do w/the scene. I have never been there. I think it might be cool as long as it is not unethical.

Stephanie_Millner
11-06-2010, 05:54 PM
the eiffel tower is already sticking out of the horizon in that image. Scroll right...

Missy50
11-06-2010, 06:20 PM
My bad, I did not scroll over that far. I am w/everyone else, take out the tall solid building and it will be perfect.

GregYager
11-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Hey Steff, is the pano shot a one shot image ore a series of verticals stitched together?

Stephanie_Millner
11-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Ha, no problem Missy. I'm hung on that building - it's an important monument and anyone who knows the Paris skyline will notice that eyesore (Montparnasse) missing immediately. So I don't know what to do... that's a Keith question really.

Greg - 8 horizontals.

GregYager
11-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I was being a bit sarcastic earlier when I mentioned removing the tower thingy btw...I was referring to the Eiffel Tower.

Stitching panos is something I've never done but would love to try some. Has anyone got the time to explain the basics of this to me so I can play around with it and see what I can come up with?

Stephanie_Millner
11-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Here's a quick and dirty tutorial on it. Making panos is easy... they practically make themselves! http://stephaniemillner.net/blog/2010/03/panos-and-other-fun-things

(I may also use that Roman Forum one for comp too...)

GregYager
11-06-2010, 10:20 PM
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for Steff! Thank you!

Missy50
11-06-2010, 10:28 PM
That would fall in the line of being unethical (if I remember my material correctly) if you are using it for a publication, such as newspaper, documenary, I would even think a post card of Paris.

But if you are making something artsy for your home someone like me would not know the difference. And say "awwww, that's pretty!". Now my cousin, who has been there many times would say, "awwww, that's pretty, but where is the Montparnasse?"

Thanks for posting the link!

Joe_Campanellie
11-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Yeah...and if you get a judge or judges who has been there and you have altered the scene beyond reality to the point that they question it's believability...it could affect your score.

It happens...

Mark_Levesque
11-07-2010, 03:26 AM
I am thinking that the way to deal with this one is to crop off some of the left part of the image. You can probably lose a whole street or two. the important part of the image is the right hand side, IMO. Put the Eiffel Tower on the rightmost 1/3 and Montparnasse becomes a repeated vertical element. JMO

Stephanie_Millner
11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Good plan. The only reason I didn't is because I like the balance of Montmartre on the left. But it's kinda small... hmm...

Jeff_Dachowski
11-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Steff,
do you have the whole 360? If so, consider have the tower in at the begining and at the end. It will certainly increase your chances that a judge will notice it is a 360. You are right, you could not enter the stand alone, and the pano as the stand alone literally resides inside the pano. Also Jack mentioned a postcard, this feels like vintage postcard to me, and therefore it might be a direction to consider taking it.
Jeff

Stephanie_Millner
11-07-2010, 10:49 AM
No, this isn't a full 360. It's about 180 actually. Beyond the Eiffel Tour kind of sucks and it wasn't worth shooting. lol

Tiffany_Schmitt
11-07-2010, 09:21 PM
I LOVE the 22x4 the best...And since I am hardly qualified to comment...I'm going to anyway...lol. The one thing is, I keep coming back to the bright blue sky up in the left corner. I know that is something that always seems to catch me up...

Good luck. Do love that one.

George_Hawkins
11-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Great shots. But then how can you go wrong in Paree <s>
Have you taken any shots at the Musee D'Orsay's clock from inside? One of my favorite spots to shoot for some reason. Always hits me.

Clock from inside! Very interesting Jack. However, almost 20 years since I was there, so I do not recall exactly - possibly I shot a slide! I need to browse them, OR return there. When people tell me they plan to go, I always suggest they read up on D'Orsay, which almost was torn down as former rail road station/terminal, before being made to what it is!

Steff, great images!

Stephanie_Millner
11-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Oh, sorry Jack - I didn't see your question. We didn't make it to the Musee d'Orsay this time, but we'll definitely go there next time we're in Paris - Feb perhaps.

George_Hawkins
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Oh, sorry Jack - I didn't see your question. We didn't make it to the Musee d'Orsay this time, but we'll definitely go there next time we're in Paris - Feb perhaps.

The history is interesting: the former railroad station was destined to be demolished; as I remember a group petitioned. After the restoration, almost all impressionist pieces from Louvre were moved there. At the time, I found the Michelin Guides were great.

Stephanie_Millner
11-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I will definitely check it out. While I love the Louvre (who doesn't) I'm a more 19th-20th century art person. :)