PDA

View Full Version : T12E - Center of Interest

Keith_A_Howe
11-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Center of Interest is the point or points on the image where the maker wants the viewer to stop as they view the image. There can be primary and secondary centers of interest. Occasionally there will be no specific center of interest, when the entire scene collectively serves as the center of interest.

I am really swamped this week so maybe somebody else can comment on center of interest to get us started.

Keith

GregYager
11-06-2010, 10:17 PM
I just wanted to drop in and say I've been putting a lot of thought into this one and I plan to shoot and upload some tomorrow so we have something to use as an example. As usual it won't be perfect but I learn a lot when people are willing to really look into the image and tear it apart.

GregYager
11-15-2010, 04:27 AM
Here is an image that I think might work as a portrait example of center of interest. The goal here was to draw attention to the simple confidence of the boy's expression. I used a center composition to add to the simplicity while using the lines of his shoulders and the brim of his hat to bring the viewers eyes to the expression. The goal was to hold the viewer's attention in the center rather than wandering around the image as though your gaze is locked with his.
http://www.mymorganfield.com/competitionimages/PO_CamoKid_Yager_op.jpg

GregYager
11-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Now that everyone has become fat and happy by munching on some Thanksgiving turkey this would be a good time to chime in and show some examples of how you use center of interest in your work.

Now would be a good time to revive this process with all the upcoming competitions to prepare for.

On another note, the image I posted here received an above average score but did not make it to the merit category. It received many compliments but the judges felt it was a little blown out in the highlights on the face. The center composition was mentioned but they stated that it seemed to work in this case. They also noticed a color shift of some sort going on in the skin.

Keith_A_Howe
12-28-2010, 04:20 AM
The holidays are over so I thought maybe we could get going on these discussions again. Here is an example of a strong center of interest. The white lines are just to show the rule of thirds.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/FishyThinking.jpg

I used composition and leading lines to keep the viewers eye where I wanted it to go. It was a loan image in the photographic open category.

Here is an example of a primary ( church) and secondary (tornado) center of interest. The eye is drawn to the tornado but still returns to the church. I used leading lines, contrast, lighting and composition to get the viewer to keep returning to the primary center of interest.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Ever_Since_The_Applesmall.jpg
This was a loan image in the EI category this year.

Keith

Linda_Gregory
12-28-2010, 01:18 PM
OMGoodenss! I did not see this one before? I would love to hear the story on it. taken at one time??? Did Holly chastise you for getting so close to that thing??

GregYager
12-28-2010, 02:49 PM
El category Linda. Fake tornado.

Keith_A_Howe
12-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Greg is correct. It is actually about 7 or 8 images put together. The tornado is completely created in PS.

Keith

Linda_Gregory
12-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks for that but Greg, it doesn't automatically mean it's fake.

GregYager
12-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Linda...you live in Kansas. Tornadoes are not that peaceful.

Linda_Gregory
12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Ah Greg, yes, some are. The ones we hear about are the monster ones, the ones that cause tons of damage, threaten or do take lives. They are like the merit prints. so, so many, only a few make the news..or are worthy to.

Keith_A_Howe
12-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Here in the midwest we feel about tornados like people in Florida view hurricanes or people in California think about earthquakes. We only pay attention to the big ones.

Keith

alicjacolon
12-30-2010, 08:06 PM
is this a good example od center of interest

http://www.miamitaken.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/nat3.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
01-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Alicja
I'm not sure what you are meaning by "od center of interest". It is a unique area to photograph in providing it's own set of challanges. I would suggest looking at this upside down.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/libertycouple.jpg
Notice how there are actually 3 centers of interest. The very bright shirts get the most attention followed by the window areas of the image and the couple (who I assume should be the center of interest) actually comes in 3rd. Not sure how to answer your actual question of "odd".
Keith

KirkDarling
01-01-2011, 06:25 PM
On another note, the image I posted here received an above average score but did not make it to the merit category. It received many compliments but the judges felt it was a little blown out in the highlights on the face. The center composition was mentioned but they stated that it seemed to work in this case. They also noticed a color shift of some sort going on in the skin.

That must have been an issue with that print, Greg. From what I can see on the web image, there is plenty of real tone in the skin highlights, and the same for the color shift.

GregYager
01-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks for looking at that Kirk. It was a digital submission so there was no actual print but I do plan to enter it at our state convention this month as a print. I felt the review they gave it was pretty accurate but I couldn't see the blown highlights they talked about. I can enter 6 so I plan to choose those today and have them ready to go to the lab by morning.

Keith_A_Howe
01-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Greg
As I look at your image of the boy I do see some of the color shift. I don't really see blown highlights on his skin tone though I do feel that from just below his eyes on down the image appears muddy, kind of like there is some lens flare that is making the image weaker. I think it could be improved by darkening the entire image below the eye line. I personally feel that it would be a little stronger by cropping everything to the right of his hat off. I had not posted on this image earlier because it was on this thread about center of interest and it does have a good center of interest.
Good Luck
Keith

alicjacolon
01-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Alicja
I'm not sure what you are meaning by "od center of interest". It is a unique area to photograph in providing it's own set of challanges. I would suggest looking at this upside down.

Turning the image upside down is really helpful. Originally I thought all the lines were pointing down to the couple, which I thought was the center of interest. Thanks for the insight!