PDA

View Full Version : New Size Restrictions?

Stephanie_Millner
10-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Since my last print case is all but missing (THANKS PosteItaliane!), I need to buy a new one anyway. Is the new size maximum 20x24 for everyone or just for Masters?

Keith_A_Howe
10-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Steff, Yes the size is now the same for everyone. But even if it wasn't you are just about to Master aren't you?

Keith

Stephanie_Millner
10-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Nope, it was only my 3rd year entering, so I'm still a few tacos short of a fiesta... er, I mean a few print merits short of Masters.

So that's any size up to 24" wide, correct? Like, say I were to enter 4 panoramics...

GregYager
10-31-2010, 09:00 PM
The way it reads is that the longest dimension can be 24" so I would imagine anything 24x24 and below would work.

Rick_Massarini
10-31-2010, 09:25 PM
The way it reads is that the longest dimension can be 24" so I would imagine anything 24x24 and below would work.

The size limit for Masters has always been any size from 80 square inches to 480 square inches with the longest side being no longer than 24" - so that limits you to a 20x24 at the largest. The shipping carts that are used are 25" deep with the shelves being about 22" apart - so that just fits a 20x24 at the largest size. A 24x24 wouldn't fit in the shipping crates. The size limitations are the same for everyone now.

GregYager
10-31-2010, 11:11 PM
I completely overlooked the square inches part Rick. That's why I'm a photographer though, I hate math. :D

Keith_A_Howe
11-01-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm still a few tacos short of a fiesta... er, I mean a few print merits short of Masters.

You are in Rome, so shouldn't that be a few meatballs short???
I can't remember what you did your first and second year but last year was 8 merits so whatever you did before, you are still pretty close.

Keith

Missy50
11-01-2010, 10:18 PM
This may be a stupid question, and may have been asked before and I missed it. So sorry if I am repeating.

Is it OK to use the card board box that the lab sends the prints in as long as it fits the dimensions and labeled correctly? Makes sense to recycle.

Stephanie_Millner
11-01-2010, 10:36 PM
"A few meatballs short of a mid-afternoon nap" is probably appropriate. 0 and 2 (G & GB) respectively. I'm surprisingly low on service merits after cashing in so many for Cr. last year though.

Missy, you can use a cardboard box to send em' but you won't get your prints back w/o an approved print case.

Missy50
11-01-2010, 10:39 PM
"Missy, you can use a cardboard box to send em' but you won't get your prints back w/o an approved print case.

oic. Tks. I guess you lost yours b/c of shipping overseas.

Stephanie_Millner
11-01-2010, 10:42 PM
I lost my first one when i shipped it from Rome to PPSYNYS regionals last year. It's disappeared. If you read my blog post about it, it goes into details including how to make obscene hand-gestures in Italian!

Missy50
11-01-2010, 11:44 PM
I lost my first one when i shipped it from Rome to PPSYNYS regionals last year. It's disappeared. If you read my blog post about it, it goes into details including how to make obscene hand-gestures in Italian!

Spew alert!

John_Pacetti
11-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Steff

I believe this years print comp will be digital (no detail yet). Less(or nothing) to loose!

Stephanie_Millner
11-02-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm still entering prints. Not confident in the new digital entry system, and I know I can trust my lab sight-unseen now. :)

GregYager
11-02-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm still entering prints. Not confident in the new digital entry system, and I know I can trust my lab sight-unseen now. :)

A woman after my own heart. Print rocks! :D

John_Pacetti
11-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Steff, Greg

I believe National is planning on going digital. (not 100% sure on that). It's the way things are going. I'm sure NJ is digital. Last year was digital also. Since NY & NJ is a combined convention this year, I believe Print Comp will be digital.
I'm trying to verify that as I'm posting this.

Betsy_Finn
11-03-2010, 05:55 PM
John,

National and Districts have *added* digital as an entry option for the 2011 competition. From what I remember of this discussion, prints will always be accepted while there are those who have interest in submitting prints.

SUBMISSION OPTIONS
Entrants may submit either prints (photographic or press printed
images presented for judging under lights) or digital submissions –
(digital files presented for judging on a monitor) or a combination
of either entry type.source: http://www.ppa.com/pec/images/ppa_print_packet.pdf

John_Pacetti
11-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks Betsy

Just received confirmation, Photo North East (NY & NJ Convention) Print Comp will be digital only.

GregYager
11-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks Betsy

Just received confirmation, Photo North East (NY & NJ Convention) Print Comp will be digital only.

That's sad news. Is that a District competition? The reason I ask is what about people from that area that want to submit prints in the international. They can't get seals on their prints if it's digital only.

John_Pacetti
11-03-2010, 07:47 PM
looking into it, I'll get back to you.

Betsy_Finn
11-03-2010, 07:56 PM
"Photo North East" is not a PPA district print competition...

I was in the Mid-East States regional. I am now going to be part of the North East District. I will be submitting prints. The Northeast District competition will be hosted by PPANE in 2011, and it has to follow PPA's print competition rules, which are prints plus option of digital entry. Yes, the names sound similar, but that sounds like a local affiliate association, rather than an approved district competition

Here is the list of districts:
http://www.ppa.com/competitions/districts.php

http://learnwithbetsy.com/wp/files/ppa-print-competition-districts-619x499.jpg

Angela_Lawson
11-04-2010, 05:05 PM
This is totally off thread, but it annoys me that the Upper Peninsula of MICHIGAN is not included with Michigan in the North East District. They are NOT part of Wisconsin.

Sorry, rant over! Back to normally scheduled programming. :)

GregYager
11-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Yes but they are closer to Wisconsin and the bridge connecting them isn't nearly as scary. :D

John_Pacetti
11-04-2010, 06:55 PM
PNE (Photo North East) is the NJ & NY Corp entity set up to run the combined convention.

PNE is not a PPA affiliate (at this time), however NJ & NY states are affiliates. PNE's print comp is just NJ & NY local print comp.

With it getting tougher & tougher to entice vendors to be at our local conventions, NY & NJ decided to combine our conventions. We set up a new corporation (PNE) to run the convention. The plan is to apply for affiliate status after the upcoming convention.
PNE will not have any effect on district print comp.

Hope this helps, I apologize if I caused any confusion.

GregYager
11-04-2010, 07:03 PM
You didn't cause the confusion John. I'm just very new here so I always ask questions when something new pops up to get a better feel for the organization. If anything you sparked my interest and that in turn brought out some helpful information.

Angela_Lawson
11-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Yes but they are closer to Wisconsin and the bridge connecting them isn't nearly as scary. :D

Greg - you mean I can't entice you into a trip to the UP to some of my old haunts when you come in February? They'll have a pile full of snow up there and that big scary bridge will just glisten with frost and icicles. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

GregYager
11-05-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm enticeable....I've actually crossed that bridge a few times...once in a minivan on a windy day.