PDA

View Full Version : Wedding detail shots. Good idea or not?

GregYager
10-16-2010, 05:27 AM
I'm getting my 20 images ready for submission this week and I was curious if using detail shots was a good idea or not. I have some good shots of things like the champagne bottle and glasses, cakes, centerpieces etc... I was thinking I read somewhere that it was best to stick with "people" shots but I can't find it now. Anybody with advice here would be appreciated.

Marc_Benjamin
10-16-2010, 06:59 AM
I don't see why a detail shot done upto standard wouldn't be acceptable. FWIW, here's my set back in 05 http://www.kickstep.com/ppa/cpp/

Keith_A_Howe
10-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Greg, Remember the purpose of the 20 images is to show ability. So yes a detail image would be fine, but don't sumit 7 or 8 detail images. You want to show that you can do a wide range of things. I helped someone who was having a challenge passing a few years ago. She had great work but she chose her favorites to submit for CPP. They were all scenic portraits of brides and grooms, all good but the same thing 20 times over. She mixed it up the next time she submitted and passed with no problem. Take this with a grain of salt because I am not involved with the CPP committee and am no longer certified. I let it drop a long time ago, so what do I know.

Keith

GregYager
10-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks Marc. I really didn't expect the link but that's a huge help! Gives me a great idea of how the body of work should appear.

I would ask Keith if I could see his but I understand cave drawings are tough to upload. :D

GregYager
10-16-2010, 01:24 PM
I typed that before I realized you had responded Keith.

Thanks for the advice. I just had one I was going to include to show the range of what I do.

I considered adding 20 seniors and 20 wedding to get my specialty but to me my work is still a bit weak. Can I apply for the specialties during any review period or just when I certify?

tina0979
10-16-2010, 10:18 PM
I don't see why a detail shot done upto standard wouldn't be acceptable. FWIW, here's my set back in 05 http://www.kickstep.com/ppa/cpp/

I love #3, Marc!!!

GregYager
10-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Marc has got some incredible work Tina. I highly recommend you take a long look at his web site.

George_Hawkins
10-16-2010, 11:30 PM
They used to say "as you'd submit to a client". For a while I did set up the sets for the "judging", and I'd hear them say that phrase. I've been CPP for long time and do the continuing education & print entry to maintain each five years!

Rick_Massarini
10-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Nice stuff, Marc !

GregYager
10-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Thank you to everyone for your input and advice.

I have my 20 selected and edited...and edited...and edited.:D I went for a variety that closely resembles the gamut of what I do. I got some feedback from a couple of awesome photographers and I think I have all the details nailed down.

Taking my test Sunday and hope to be able to call myself Certified by Imaging. This is not the end though but rather the beginning of a long yet entertaining journey.