PDA

View Full Version : Degree Requirement Discussions

Karen_Linsley
03-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I have 19 service merits and 9 speaker merits. Do I qualify to apply for a Craftsman degree?

Keith_A_Howe
03-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Karen, To get the Craftsman degree at least 13 must be speaking merits, so you need 4 more speaking merits to qualify. But then all the leftover service merits can start adding up to your Master's.

jilllove
11-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Do you earn merits attending classes at Imaging USA?

Michael_Gan
11-23-2009, 05:32 PM
You will receive one service merit for attending IUSA.

Mark_Levesque
11-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Additional merits are possible if you take the pre-convention classes (you pay extra for those.)

Jeff_Dachowski
11-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Or..you could volunteer and I believe you can earn a service merit for that as well.
Jeff

Linda_Gregory
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Yes, the year I attended I had scheduled to help put up the print display. While there, I offered to take down, also. I did not expect a second merit but got one so....got three for that week.

MarcHathaway
12-10-2009, 05:05 PM
I've had a hard time finding information about the degrees on the website. How are the degrees awarded? Do you apply after meeting some requirements or is it automatic after you complete the requirements?

I'm interested in the Master of Photography degree but I don't know what it entails entirely. Where can I find more detailed information about the degrees, their requirements, how merits are awarded and for what?

Michael_Gan
12-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Marc, when you have received all the proper merits for your degree, PPA will notify you that you qualify and will send you the proper papers to fill out to receive your degree. You need, for the Masters, 13 Exhibition merits and 12 additional merits, such as attending Imaging USA, attending Super Mondays, speaking, attending affiliate schools, and volunteering for PPA events, just to name a very few. Once you reach the 25 merits, Cristel's office will contact you.

Then, once you accept/confirm your degree, your name will show up for voting at the council meeting during IUSA and you're in!

For more information, go to the top of this web page, click on Benefits and select Merits and Degrees.

Keith_A_Howe
12-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Marc,

Once you have met the requirments and are eligible for the degree, you will recieve a letter from PPA. It's been awhile since I got my last degree so I don't remember exactly but I do believe there is a sort of application - but it's more just a registration that you are attending the ceremony or not - how your name should be written on the certificate, who your sponsor is etc. The PPA council does vote on the list of degree recipients each year. The actual degree is presented at an awards ceremony at IUSA. Your sponsor accompanies you on stage and actually hangs the ribbon around your neck. The sponsor is traditionally someone you feel has been instrumental in your reaching your degree. It does NOT have to be a PPA member but it is required to be an adult - no children.

To be eligible, you must have 13 print merits and 12 other merits. It used to be a challenge to earn those 12 other merits but now they practically give them away for attending certain seminars etc. I think you also have to have been a member for 2 or 3 years. You can earn those extra 12 merits by service, speaking, education or additional print merits. Print merits are received from having prints accepted for the exhibition at IUSA. Judging for that takes place in June or July every year. Each accepted print earns one merit. A print selected for Loan collection gets 2 merits.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions just ask.

Keith

MarcHathaway
12-10-2009, 06:21 PM
For more information, go to the top of this web page, click on Benefits and select Merits and Degrees.

I've looked at that and it really isn't helpful. There is more information on the credential programs page.

Where or at what level of print competition are the merits awarded that are needed for the degree?

Todd_Reichman
12-10-2009, 06:40 PM
What is the significance of purpose of the voting stage? Just curious as to why that apparent formality is included.

Also, what is the history or significance of the sponsor thing?

- trr

Betsy_Finn
12-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Todd, the voting, as I understand it, is where any objections can be raised (and the degree applicant has the chance for rebuttal if there is an objection).

Marc, if you are going to Imaging, you should sign up for an Image Critique -- this would be a great way to get you started in the process of figuring out what images to enter. Also, you should check out the Exhibition while you are there... it has on display most of the merit images (except any that couldn't be safely hung).

Jeff_Dachowski
12-11-2009, 12:33 AM
I get that, but the requirements for degrees are pretty well-defined - what would cause objections?

- trr
Todd,
one big no- no is saying you have achieved the degree prior to receiving it. Another might be an ethics situation.
Jeff

Marc_Benjamin
12-11-2009, 12:34 AM
I get that, but the requirements for degrees are pretty well-defined - what would cause objections?

- trr

I've heard in the past that objections would come up due to some ethics such and so...

Oh and when a recipient starts claiming (attaching the initials/advertising that they are) that they've earned the degree already during that year that you earned the merits but not marched yet.

Also, if new evidence of say cheating were to come into light. Example, turns out you did same subject in the same year but no one caught it. Or the instructor of the class you were in would object since you entered a print created during a class.

Complainers then calls their councilor, now that councilor has to bring it up. It would be really mean though if this happens during imaging week and the recipient and their families have already there room/flight/vacation already vested.

Those are the situations I could think of. I've attended 4 of the last council meetings and I've never seen a complaint. I've seen a last minute addition though last year. Something about a miscount on the merits and it turns out whoever it was had enough so they added her name to the list and let her March.

Joe_Campanellie
12-11-2009, 02:51 PM
All degree candidates must be approved by council.

Once the names have been sent out there is a time limit as to when objection have to be made to a recipient. Usually it's on the basis of an ethics issues. There might be other situations.

Phillip_Colwart
01-19-2010, 04:16 AM
Where do I look on the PPA website to see how many merits I have earned? Can't find it...

David_Capano
01-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Where do I look on the PPA website to see how many merits I have earned? Can't find it...

Phillip,

When you log in at www.ppa.com, you should see a section on the left hand side of the screen (you must be logged in to see this) with links like 'My Merits,' 'Edit My Membership Record' etc... Click on My Merits to display (and possibly print) your merit record.

Joe_Campanellie
01-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Just what I need...more merits !

It's a pretty easy system to understand...each degree has it's own colored ribbon. When you see people with multi colored ribbons then it signifies that they have multiple PPA degrees.

Master Photographer - gold ribbon
Craftsman - blue ribbon
Master Artist - white ribbon
Master of EI - red

Then each state has it's own degree system and it's own colored ribbons on top of all that. You just have to assume that when you see someone with a lot of bling that they have worked pretty hard to get where they are. Orin my case...bought some stuff on ebay... :) !

Joe_Campanellie
01-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Imaging Excellence is for 13 loan prints. I think that has to be above your master's degree...I think. Not sure on that point. Once you get your first 13 you get a different colored medallion (black) with a diamond in the center.

Each 13 after that you get a bar.

The arrowheads are for photographer of the year. Each has a different level and different designation. From meriting all four prints up to the diamond which is the highest for all four prints going loan.

Master's Degree 13 print merits and 12 service or speaking or judging merits for a total of 25

Craftsman Degree 13 speaking merits with another 12 from other sources such as above for a total of 25

EI Degree 13 EI print merits with the other 12 from a variety of service, speaking, and judging for a total of 25.

Each 25 after that you get a gold bar.

That's the short version...

Michael_Gan
01-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Pretty much correct Mike. The 12 merits can be including, or any other merits (Most will reserve their degree merits though - for example, not use exhibition merits towards the Craftsman, etc.).

Oh, BTW, and this goes for all certifieds. There is no "PPA Certified" anymore. We are trying to get the word out to all CPPs that it is now "CPP". You are all certified under the CPPC (Certified Professional Photography Commission).

Ed_Sharp
02-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I was reading vital signs and remembered this thread and thought I would post the link to this article, in case anyone missed it. This gives detailed information about what is need for each degree.
http://www.ppa.com/articles/310/Vital-Signs-Merits-and-Degrees-How-You-Get-There.php

ninabeheim
02-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Interesting degree discussion - I joined last year, taking my CPP in March, and heading for the Master, and eventually Craftsman degrees.

I noticed a degree no one has spoken of... MASTER ARTIST. See here:
http://www.ppa.com/findaphotographer/degrees.php#DiffDegrees

Photographic Craftsman
Master of Photography
Master Artist
Master of Electronic Imaging

Now, I checked out the link Ed Provided and guess what? Master Artist isn't there! Anyone know what's up with this?

Additionally, ASSUMING I host 2 Super Mondays a year, and Present a program at my State conf. (which I assume would be an affiliate program) and am LUCKY enough to get an article published... I might pull off six meits in one year - if I got REALLY lucky!!!
I would just like to understand more about creating opportunities and finding ways to share/present - make the degree more of a reality. I'm more than willing to work for it, just wish there were more ops to speak/teach. Are there no other ways to gain these points outside of Super Mondays, and/or Prof. Photog magazine articles? My state's newsletter is sewn up... :O) I'm looking for opportunities to help with IUSA to gain points also...

I have a background in corporate training, and am comfy in front of a crowd and LOVE LOVE LOVE to teach.
Thanks!

(BTW - I had planned to add the CPP info just like Phillip did when I get the official nod... Glad I read this post!)

Rick_Massarini
02-14-2010, 02:56 AM
Interesting degree discussion - I joined last year, taking my CPP in March, and heading for the Master, and eventually Craftsman degrees.

I noticed a degree no one has spoken of... MASTER ARTIST. See here:
http://www.ppa.com/findaphotographer/degrees.php#DiffDegrees

Photographic Craftsman
Master of Photography
Master Artist
Master of Electronic Imaging

Now, I checked out the link Ed Provided and guess what? Master Artist isn't there! Anyone know what's up with this?

Additionally, ASSUMING I host 2 Super Mondays a year, and Present a program at my State conf. (which I assume would be an affiliate program) and am LUCKY enough to get an article published... I might pull off six meits in one year - if I got REALLY lucky!!!
I would just like to understand more about creating opportunities and finding ways to share/present - make the degree more of a reality. I'm more than willing to work for it, just wish there were more ops to speak/teach. Are there no other ways to gain these points outside of Super Mondays, and/or Prof. Photog magazine articles? My state's newsletter is sewn up... :O) I'm looking for opportunities to help with IUSA to gain points also...

I have a background in corporate training, and am comfy in front of a crowd and LOVE LOVE LOVE to teach.
Thanks!

(BTW - I had planned to add the CPP info just like Phillip did when I get the official nod... Glad I read this post!)

You won't find the Master Artist requirements on the web site since the degree is no longer available. Master Artist was a degree for Artists and retouchers working in "conventional" media - those being pencils, oils, dyes, etc. As conventional retouching and artwork has been replaced by digital artwork, the Master Artist degree has been replaced by the Master of Electronic Imaging degree. Interest in the conventional Art-Tech competition waned and the last year it was offered, there were no entrants in the Art-Tech category. Art-Tech merits were required for the Master Artist degree.

There are a lot of ways to earn merits within PPA. You already know about merits for speaking at conventions, Super Mondays, and articles in the Professional Photographer magazine. You can also earn service merits by volunteering to work at the PPA National Convention assisting the Program Talent and assisting the staff do other necessary jobs to run the convention. You can also receive a (1) service merit for serving as a member of the PPA Council for your state. If you become your State association's President or State Convention Chairman, you receive 2 PPA service merits for your service to the profession by leading your state association (but no one takes on these kinds of jobs just for the merits, since being a PPA Councilor or an Association President or Convention Chairman takes up a heck of a lot of your time). If you are selected to be a judge at one of the annual state convention print competitions, you will receive a merit for that service. Another opportunity is to volunteer to work at the PPA International Print Judging, or at the convention putting up and taking down the print exhibit. There are lots of opportunities to earn PPA merits, but accumulating merits is not a quick thing - it takes time and dedicated service...

LianaBanana
05-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Some of you may be able to answer this - is there a particular department that handles these degrees?

I just looked up my merits and I have 15 speaking merits (actually should be 17 but one of the state PPA conventions are not listed on there - though I do have the paper certificate) and also have 18 service merits. This should qualify me for Craftsman Degree, correct?

I'm wondering if the application or something got lost in the mail or mixed up with my name change (got married last year).

Thanks for any guidance!

Keith_A_Howe
05-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Yes you have enough, but as the degrees won't be confered till IUSA next January you won't be contacted until probably October or November. If you want confirmation call PPA and ask for the merits and degrees coordinator.

Keith

LianaBanana
05-28-2010, 07:12 PM
When was the PA event? I suspect if you have the paper merit though that means it was ordered from PPA and the mix up is probably at PPA not in PA. If it's only been a couple weeks, then give it another week or two and then call PPA and ask for the merits and degrees coordinator. The other thing is you can only get a certain number of speaking merits from any one association in a year. So if you gave more then one program in PA in the same year, you might not have been eligible for speaking merits the second time around.

Keith

Thanks Keith for the info!!

I actually had most of these since 2007/2008 so I'm not sure why I was not contacted back then? I got married in 2009 and my last name changed, but not my address so I would have still received stuff in the mail but I honestly do not remember anything ever coming.

Here's what I have (or should have) for speaking/authoring:

1/16/07 - Imaging USA Speaker - 5 merits
6/27/07 - Chicks that Click Speaker - 5 merits
10/9/07 - PPA SC Conference Speaker - 2 merits
12/1/07 - Article Professional Photographer Magazine - 1 merit
2/5/08 - PPA Michigan Speaker - 2 merits

1/20/08 - PPA Nebraska Speaker - should have merits for this but I don't see any listed. I have my speakers contract and the wooden plaque in the shape of Nebraska, but no merits shown on my merits page. I think I have the certificate around here somewhere too. I remember this one quite clearly. On 1/19 we had a flight canceled an the entire ATL/SE area airports shut down for a snow storm. We rented a car and drove 20+ hours to get from Atlanta to Nebraska in time for me to speak, no only 1-3 hr sleep. I was very grateful for a friend there to help me drive through the snow all day Saturday. We only had 25 hrs or so to get there and the drive was about 20 hrs in the snow.

Then I've got the various 18 service merits.

I suppose there is some confusion on my account due to my name change perhaps I'll just call next week and find out. They're supposed to consolidating my accounts right now (so my maiden name PPA stuff goes with my PPA records since I got married).

I honestly never paid much attention to the merit part of all this until this year - I just spoke where called to. Now there's so many photographers coming into the market - it makes sense to pursue these degrees to set yourself apart.

Thanks for your help!!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
05-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I have to admit I'm a tad discouraged lately because although I have enough speaking engagements to earn my merits, I always seem to have a problem actually getting the merits! I always ask for them up front and remind them about my ppa # just prior to the event, but so many of the guilds simply don't request them in time... It's driving me crazy because I've gotten in my car and driven up to 7 hours for one engagement and still haven't gotten that merit! I've actually considered giving up on the whole thing because there's really no recourse to get the merits that I've already worked for or at least it's my understanding that speakers are really at the mercy of the guilds...

Christine_Walsh-Newton
05-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Cindi - Thank you for bringing this up. I just did my first speaking engagement last week. My merits for that were showing on my record when I checked 2 days later, which was amazing to me. Since it seems that other groups may not request the merit in such a timely manner - I would like to know how this whole "request a merit" thing works so that I may keep abreast of what should be happening within what timeline.

I have just enough engagements scheduled this year to earn my Craftsman and have it awarded in Jan 2011. I would surely hate for one group to hold that up.

Can you or anyone explain how this process works?

Thank you.

Rick_Massarini
05-31-2010, 01:31 AM
There's no big secret to how requesting a merit works. The association manager fills in a form and sends it to PPA. PPA will check the group's merit allocation to assure that they have the merits to give, then PPA Headquarters issues the merit. Some associations order the merits in advance of the program and have the certificates on hand to award at the conclusion of the program. Some associations request the merit after the program has been presented in which case PPA will credit the merit to the members account and mail them the certificate.

Also be aware that just because you have not received a merit certificate, it does not mean that you did not receive the merit. I have some service merits (from the PPA-PEC for working at the national judging) credited to my account that I have never received the certificates for (maybe they just got lost in the paper shuffle or lost in the mail) - but the merits were credited to me on my merit report, so I did get the merits.

Cindi - you may want to check your merit report to see if they were credited to your merit record - you may have the merit and just be missing the paper certificate.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
05-31-2010, 01:25 PM
I have never received a paper certificate for any merits I've earned. I heard recently that the PPA was discontinuing issuing paper certificates. (Just photographer gossip - nothing official.)

How does one get the paper certificates and is that important to have?

Keith_A_Howe
05-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Nobody has ever asked me to see my paper merits. The only thing I ever use the paper ones for is to copy and send to my state fellowship chairman so I get my state credits towards my state degrees. The only time a paper merit might be important is if you have one but it never shows up on PPA records.

As far as not getting merits from different associations that promised them. I assume you have a contract with the association? It should state in the contract how many merits you should get. It's not a great idea to speak without a contract. If you have sponsorship, they will want a copy of the contract for verification. If you don't get your merit from the association get on the phone and call them once a week until you do get it. That's not harrasment, that's making them do what they have promised in your contract.

I do know that sometimes I get a paper merit and sometimes I don't. I am not sure what the difference is, except it seems like if PPA is giving you the merits directly ( like from national comp, working print crew at national judging etc etc) you don't get the paper copy, it just shows up on your record. If you are getting a merit from an affiliate association ( speaking for them, being a state or local president) then PPA sends them a paper merit to present to you. Not sure if this is right but that's what it seems like to me.

Keith

Heather_L._Smith
05-31-2010, 06:29 PM
If you don't get your merit from the association get on the phone and call them once a week until you do get it. That's not harrasment, that's making them do what they have promised in your contract.

I've had to do this in the past. Kind of a pain, but sometimes necessary. Keep in mind that these associations, especially if you're speaking for a small guild, are all operated by volunteers, and sometimes some folks bite off more than they can chew :)

I'm not saying it's right, just saying it's not uncommon. I haven't had issues like that at state or regional levels, only with the small guilds. If they don't get it done, become the squeaky wheel. One set of merits took me 4 months to receive - and that was after lots of emails and phone calls. And, as a side note, PPA national can't really do anything to help in that situation - it's between you and the guild.

Cindi_Delaney
06-01-2010, 12:42 AM
For speaking gigs to count, do they have to be to other photographers?
Like in October I'm speaking to our local artists association about copyright.
Would things like that count?

Rick_Massarini
06-01-2010, 01:54 AM
For speaking gigs to count, do they have to be to other photographers?
Like in October I'm speaking to our local artists association about copyright.
Would things like that count?

The only way that you can receive a merit is to do a program for a PPA affiliated organization or for an event that is sponsored by a PPA affiliate. Your local artists association is probably not a PPA affiliate. The PPA affiliate organization has to send in the merit request to PPA in order for you to receive a merit for speaking before their group.

Jeff_Dachowski
06-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Keep in mind as well that you local affiliate is limited to the amount of merits they recieve from PPA per year. It is proportional to the amount of PPA members that are in your local affiliate to some degree.
Jeff

Jeff_Dachowski
06-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Unless it's for the convention. Unless things have changed you can get as many merits as you need if it's for your convention.

But...it's been a long time since I chaired a convention. I know it worked like Jeff stated for our monthly events but I thought convention was different.

Joe,
Conventions are unlimited in the sense that they dont count against your allocation. I did not bring that up so as to not confuse anyone!!

Rick_Massarini
06-03-2010, 03:18 AM
Yes, for an annual convention by a state affiliate, the merits are basically unlimited and do not count against your yearly merit allocation. But some local affiliates, like guilds, don't have annual conventions, so for those groups, they have to operate on their yearly allotment of merits based on their membership numbers...

Christel
06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
To clarify ways in which one can receive merits:

For PPA members who participate (speak or volunteer) at a state annual convention, a PPA member can receive a maximum of four merits per person, per annual meeting for non-state members and a maximum of two merits in any one calendar year to a member of the state issuing merits.

While the state affiliate does not use their allotment for annual conventions, there are PPA by-law rules governing the number of merits that a PPA member can receive at an annual convention.

Hope that clears up any confusion!

Cheers,
Christel

zmierski
06-24-2010, 01:40 AM
I attended WPPI (gasp) in 2008 and 2009. Is it possible to get a merit for that? Is there a form to fill out? What is the process... Thanks

Keith_A_Howe
06-24-2010, 02:24 AM
WPPI is NOT a part of PPA, so no you cannot get a merit for attending their conventions.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
06-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Here are some of my questions:
#1:Can you use 'speaking' points towards your 'service' for another degree if you aren't going for Craftsman any time soon? (I know you won't be able to reuse them later)

The extra 12 merits can be any kind - they don't have to be service. So yes you can use speaking merits toward your Master's or you can use extra print merits over 13 if you have them.

#2: There is nothing about earning a gold bar for your Masters. I found out you have to have 25 additional merits to earn this. Are these print merits or service? If you have your Masters and are going for your Master EI, I assume you have to place the merits towards either Master EI or your bar and they can't go towards both? Do you have to have all three 'degrees' before you can earn towards your bar?

The gold bars are for 25 additional after your degree - in any combination of print/service/speaking merits. If you have a Master's and are working toward Craftsman - or vice versus obviously you would not want to use up any merits on a gold bar. Unless say you were working toward a masters and you had 37 speaking merits above and beyond what you used for your craftsmen. You would have 25 to use on a gold bar and still have the 12 "other" merits you would need for the Master's once you earned 13 print. No you do not have to have all three degrees before you get gold bars. Some people never speak or never enter but still earn gold bars toward which ever degree they do have.

#3: The Imaging Excellence Award is for 13 loan prints. Can they be loans in both PO & EI or would that be 2 different 'Excellence"awards?

Imaging Excellance can be any combination of loan prints. I earned mine with a combination of photographic open prints, art tech prints and EI prints. So no, there is not a seperate Imaging Excellance award for each degree. Once you get the Imaging Excellance award you can earn a gold bar with a diamond in it for an additional 13 loan - 26 total loan prints. It's a pretty small group that has that bar.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
06-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Here are some of my questions:
#1:Can you use 'speaking' points towards your 'service' for another degree if you aren't going for Craftsman any time soon? (I know you won't be able to reuse them later)

The extra 12 merits can be any kind - they don't have to be service. So yes you can use speaking merits toward your Master's or you can use extra print merits over 13 if you have them.

#2: There is nothing about earning a gold bar for your Masters. I found out you have to have 25 additional merits to earn this. Are these print merits or service? If you have your Masters and are going for your Master EI, I assume you have to place the merits towards either Master EI or your bar and they can't go towards both? Do you have to have all three 'degrees' before you can earn towards your bar?

The gold bars are for 25 additional after your degree - in any combination of print/service/speaking merits. If you have a Master's and are working toward Craftsman - or vice versus obviously you would not want to use up any merits on a gold bar. Unless say you were working toward a masters and you had 37 speaking merits above and beyond what you used for your craftsmen. You would have 25 to use on a gold bar and still have the 12 "other" merits you would need for the Master's once you earned 13 print. No you do not have to have all three degrees before you get gold bars. Some people never speak or never enter but still earn gold bars toward which ever degree they do have.

#3: The Imaging Excellence Award is for 13 loan prints. Can they be loans in both PO & EI or would that be 2 different 'Excellence"awards?

Imaging Excellance can be any combination of loan prints. I earned mine with a combination of photographic open prints, art tech prints and EI prints. So no, there is not a seperate Imaging Excellance award for each degree. Once you get the Imaging Excellance award you can earn a gold bar with a diamond in it for an additional 13 loan - 26 total loan prints. It's a pretty small group that has that bar.

Keith

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-30-2010, 11:33 PM
This was my first year in print competition, so I'm very happy with the PPA *bling* I got in the mail today: :)

Keith_A_Howe
06-30-2010, 11:55 PM
That's odd. In the past you got those pins when you checked in for the Awards ceremony at IUSA - at least that's where I always got mine. I know last year there was some contraversy because people arrived at IUSA and were told that only the Diamond POTY's would actually walk up on stage and be recognized. A lot of people were really upset that they had spent the money to come, bought a dress or rented a tux and then found out they were just gonna have their name read while they stayed seated in the audience. At the last minute, I think literally at the awards ceremony, it was changed and all POTY levels were recognized on stage. So now I am wondering if they are sending the pins out in advance and won't be announcing those names at all this year. Maybe they are just sending out the pins so people don't have to wait so long to get them.

Keith

Jeff_Dachowski
06-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Christine,
Congrats! That came in the mail today? Usually you get those at the convention. Do you have a degree to put that on?
Jeff

Christine_Walsh-Newton
07-01-2010, 12:21 AM
The letter said...

"...While we will celebrate your accomplishment officially at Imaging USA in San Antonio, Texas, we want you to share this news immediately with the rest of the photographic community and the general public. Therefore, we are enclosing your certificate and your pin, which you can wear immediately."

Thanks guys!

No - no degree ribbon to pin it on. These are my first 4 print merits towards the Master's. At current count, I will be one merit shy of the Craftsman by the end of October, so I may have to wait until 2012 to get it. So - no ribbon for the bling...

Keith_A_Howe
07-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Officially you are not supposed to pin anything to your degree ribbon. FWIW.

Keith

Stephanie_Millner
07-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Yep, mine came in too (or at least to my parents' house - address on file with PPA). Note to self: buy more frames.

Which brings up another point... they also sent a press-release. Um, why has no one run a grammar check on this thing? I need to completely re-write it (and will be happy to share if anyone needs). There's some case mistakes, a "his/her"-->"their" tense error, and the quote that really gets me is something about "achieving a prestigious achievement" - I see we couldn't find a thesaurus?

Plus, still need to get it translated. Riccardo, are you reading this? :)

Michael_Gan
07-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Officially you are not supposed to pin anything to your degree ribbon. FWIW.

KeithHmm, as I understood it, you aren't supposed to pin non-PPA pins on the degree ribbons, like the kodak/fuji awards and even the certification pin. It would be good to research this.

Rick_Massarini
07-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Hmm, as I understood it, you aren't supposed to pin non-PPA pins on the degree ribbons, like the kodak/fuji awards and even the certification pin. It would be good to research this.

I've searched all over the PPA website and can't find anything official on this.
I've always understood it to be the same as Michael said - PPA awards only on PPA degree ribbons - No Kodaks, Fuji's or state or local award pins. But it would only seem sensible that such items as a PPA National Award pin, a 30 year PPA membership pin, or a PTY pin would rightly belong on the PPA degree ribbon. Where else should something like that be displayed? After all, they give special bars for certain numbers of print merits and they give an Imaging Excellence Award for a certain number of Loan Collection prints, so it would seem reasonable that if you put four in the Loan Collection in one year, that that accomplishment should be displayed on your ribbon... But I'm still searching for something official...

Keith_A_Howe
07-01-2010, 10:18 PM
I could be all wet. I know on our state degrees it says you are not supposed to put any other pins etc on the ribbon with the exception of a past presidents gavel. I always thought it was the same with PPA degrees and I KNOW I have heard others say the same. I have a lanyard I got at Imaging a bunch of years ago that has all my Kodaks, Fuji's, POTY, state 4 for 4 pins etc. I keep it with my national and state degrees and just take it with me when I am taking my other ribbons. I think I heard somewhere that the National awrd is the only pin that is supposed to go on your national degree ribbons. Maybe all these years I've had it all wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
07-01-2010, 10:30 PM
So I went to the expert! Helen Yancy. I was wrong. Any PPA pins such at National Award, CPP or POTY are considered ok. No other pins like Fuji or Kodak. I think I will still continue to keep my POTY on the lanyard because I still need that for the Gallery awrds and Masterpiece awards.

Keith

Christine_Walsh-Newton
07-02-2010, 12:26 AM
This is a little humorous for me to read, because all I have is my CPP pin and now the Bronze POTY pin - but I have no ribbon at all - SO - if you have no ribbon - how do you display these? Or do they just have to hang out in the jewelry box until a ribbon/medallion is earned?

Wen I was at the MidEast regionals I had a nametag with ribbons attached to it showing my CPP and volunteer status and I attached my Presidents pins to those - is that where I should display the "award" pins? And other pins that are not allowed to be on a degree medallion ribbon?

Marc_Benjamin
07-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Ok the no pins on the ribbon thing seems to be an urban legend. It's not written anywhere and people through the generations (I asked masters who got theirs in the 70's and 80's about pin rules and they looked at me like I'm making things up) and non of their letters stated anything about do/dont's on the thing. The only rule that anyone remembers is that you need to wear it during photographic functions and to not put them in frames which quite a few did anyways.

I'm thinking this is more of a soft unwritten policy a couple of past presidents came up in the 90's. Might have came out of the ridiculous display (almost restaurant "flair" pin proportions) of pins out there. I agree that the amount of pins (and I have three POTY so I do my share of "flair") out there on peoples ribbons in addition to the merit bars just looks outright silly.

So I propose that the "ribbon and medals" committee sits down and write down a ten-commandment type thing for the ribbon. I for one would propose that it's mandatory to wash and iron those darn things at least every quarter. Oh you know who you guys are. That yellow is bright yellow not mango.

Keith_A_Howe
07-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Robert,

PPA is for the most part a group of independant business people. It stands to reason that those independent businessmen & women are also very independent thinkers. If we wanted someone to tell us exactly how to do something, we probably would not like being self employeed. So thinking of the majority of the membership in that light, you can understand why maybe they wouldn't take so kindly to a regimented process to gain a degree. So I will try to answer what seems to be your questions. First off there is no application or fee to pay. The merit and degree coordinator at PPA keeps track of your merits and will send you the proper paperwork when you have compelted all the requirments for a degree. Basically the paperwork is just so they get your name the way you want it on your certificate and to let them know if you will come to IUSA to the awards ceremony or they should just mail it to you. The Craftsmen degree is not a prereq to teh Masters. Each degree is a stand alone degree.

Each degree requires a total of 25 merits. The majority of which (13) have to come from the area the degree represents. So the Master's degree which is for photography has to have at least 13 print ( exhibition) merits. The other 12 can be any kind, even more print merits if you want. The Master Electronic Imaging requires 13 EI print merits from entering EI competition. The Craftsman degree is for teaching so at least 13 merits have to come from speaking. The page link Steff gave you has info on some of the ways you can earn merits, basically service to the association.

To say "PPA MASTERS CERTIFICATION IN PHOTOGRAPHY" is inaccurate. The certification program is seperate from the degree program and is administered by a group owned by PPA but under it's own umbrella sorta speak. I am ambivelent about certification so I will let someone who is a proponent of the program tell you more about it.

Cost - who can say what it will cost. If you enter prints and get 4 loan images the first year and 3 general collection and 1 loan image the next year. You would have your 13 print merits in 2 years. (I don't think anyone has ever done that.) So your cost to earn the print merits would be greatly less then someone who only earns 1 or 2 merits a year and has to enter many years to get 13. Also the additional merits can be from attending PPA educational programs ( some but not all give merits). In that case you have the expense of attending those programs. If all your additional merits come from service, like being an affiliate prersident, writing an article for the magazine, etc etc, you wouldn't have any out of pocket expense. And getting back to the prints, if you are doing all your own artwork and printing in house, your actual print cost will be less then someone who pays an artist to enhance their images and then has a lab make prints. You can actually earn the Craftsman degree and make a profit, if you find associations willing to pay you to speak for them.

I know you didn't ask but in the interest of being complete there are additional awards you can earn after the degrees. A gold bar is awarded for each 25 additional merits after you earn your degree. Those addt'l merits can be any combination of type, print, service, etc. Imaging Excellance is awarded for 13 loan prints. Then after that you can earn the diamond bar (I think it's called) for each additional 13 loan - or 26 total loan images for the first diamond bar. Not very many people have those.

I hope this info is helpful. My offer to talk on the phone still stands anytime.

Keith

Stephanie_Millner
07-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Actually I think I understand the confusion, because I just went through it when I applied to grad schools.

The degree program from PPA is a "industry" or a "professional" degree - it is not an accredited university, and thus saying you have a Master's Degree in Photography (MFA) is not the same thing as a Master of Photography from PPA (M.Photog.) Whether it means more or less or the same or whatever - that's a topic for a different thread. However, the M.Photog. and the Cr.Photog (Craftsman) are professional only, and not accepted by universities. (However, they do look good on a professional resume and very respected in the field of professional photography!)

This is why there's no tuition fee, so to speak. Like Keith explained, it could take you many years and much money to merit all your prints for Master or fund your speaking for Craftsman. Or you might do a lot of work for PPA through articles, website, and whatever else and then get those merits with less money but a lot of time dedication.

Anyway, here's the brief list:

Master of Photography (M.Photog)
13 prints merits (from international print competition. feasible to get up to 8 annually)
12 "other" merits - speaking or service.

Photographic Craftsman (Cr.Photog.)
13 speaking merits (from speaking, writing articles for website, writing for PPMag)
12 "other" merits - print merits or service.

Keith already mentioned the other degrees (MEI, gold bars, etc.) so I'll leave that part out. He knows better than I do anyway.

Service merits can be obtained from attending PPA approved courses, such as Imaging, Super Monday, etc. There's a more complete list somewhere. But anything in the magazine that says "merit" - that's generally a service merit.

Does that better answer your question?

Keith_A_Howe
07-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Been thinking about. Certification is probably a little more like what you are expecting. You apply, pay the fee, fulfill the requirments, pass the test and you get the certification. Degrees - in particular the Master's degree - have a higher standard. You don't have to just submit passing prints, you have to enter prints that are merit quality. There are no quotas that judges follow or anything like that but generally about 30-40% of entered prints will earn merit or loan level. Imagine a college course where only the top 30% of the class will pass. When I was in college a long time ago, if you got a D you passed the course and got credit. You could keep getting D's and eventually get a degree. The PPA degrees are not like that. You could enter prints for 30 years and if you never earn a merit ( an A or a B), you will never get a Master's degree. It just really doesn't work to compare the PPA degrees to a college degree. A college degree is about education and learning. A PPA degree is about achievement and performance. The learning that occurs in order to reach that level of achievement is just one of the great side benefits but is not what the degree is recognizing.

Keith

George_Hawkins
07-05-2010, 02:25 AM
To add to the mix, there are a few more ways to receive PPA service & achievement merits; such as being officer (convention chairperson or president) in your affiliated association, attendance at PPA Imaging, and affiliated school (most are five days), and attendance at other affiliated educational events. Good Luck.

BTW. The Certification process has requirements to maintain: every five years one needs to show attendance at continuing education, or submit prints; with the PPA degree program, once a degree is earned, it's with you.

Christel
09-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Rick,

We do have something to celebrate those who have achieved this amazing status: the Imaging Excellence Award and the Imaging Excellence Bar.

Imaging Excellence Award
This award is presented to those who have achieved not only the Master of Photography degree, but have continued to excel in the International Print Competition. These individuals have placed 13 images in the renowned Loan Collection.

Imaging Excellence Bar
This bar is presented to those who have achieved not only the Master of Photography degree and the Imaging Excellence Award, but have continued to excel in the International Print Competition. These individuals have placed an additional 13 images in the renowned Loan Collection after receiving their Imaging Excellence Award.

Dave received his Imaging Excellence Award and a few bars as well! We have several of our PPA members who now have their Imaging Excellence Awards and bars and several will be receiving them this year at the Award & Degree ceremony.

Hope that helps!

KirkDarling
10-11-2010, 07:08 PM
This sticky is a continuing collection of posts copied from various threads identifying and discussing the specifics of attaining PPA degrees and awards.

EdWilson
11-04-2010, 09:01 PM
My wife and I are members of the affiliate AZPPA (Arizona). The AZ affiliate has twice a year formal print judging events where entrants can get a "merit" from the the judges. Last time, about 10 of the 100 or so entries "merited". My question is "what are these merits worth?"
Do they apply towards a degree? are they local only? Do they apply to national PPA degrees?

Keith_A_Howe
11-04-2010, 09:27 PM
No, they are state merits and do not apply to the PPA degrees. I assume AZ has some kind of state degree program that maybe those state merits would apply to.
Keith

GregYager
11-04-2010, 09:36 PM
I assume AZ has some kind of state degree program that maybe those state merits would apply to.
Keith

I had no idea that there was such an animal.

Rick_Massarini
11-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Many, if not most, of the State associations have their own internal recognition programs for their members that is sometimes similar to the national association's program. The programs provide a means for recognition of those who participate and give back to their profession on a state level. State merits earned within your state would be applicable towards your own state's degrees.

We have just revamped our state Fellowship and Merit program to create two new state degrees - a "PPLA Service Degree" which is similar to the PPA Craftsman's degree, and the "PPLA Imaging Artistry Degree" which is similar to the PPA Masters degree. The Service degree rewards members who provide service to the association and the profession. The Imaging Artistry degree rewards those who have excelled in imaging competitions. Our association's program, in certain cases, recognizes contributions done on the national level that is deemed beneficial to our state association. State Merits earned within our state program do not apply to PPA national degrees since they are issued by PPLA and not by PPA. Once you earn both the Service and Artist degrees, you gain the classification of PPLA Associate Fellow. To earn the PPLA Full Fellowship, you must earn twice as many Service and Artistry merits as it took to earn the two initial degrees.

State print merits earned at your state or local association competitions will not apply towards PPA degrees, these can only be earned at the PPA International Competition. You can receive a "seal of approval" at a PPA affililated District judging which will automatically become a merit when the image is submitted to the PPA International Competition.

Your state or local PPA affiliate can also give a specified number of PPA merits each year for Speakers who present educational programs at state conventions or local monthly or quarterly meetings. The number of PPA merits available to the state or local affiliates depends on the number of members in the association and the percentage of those members who are PPA members.

RBrogen
01-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Not sure I put this in the right place but here's a link if it should have been in here

http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/showthread.php?t=21743

LANEPHOTOGRAPHY
05-24-2011, 02:34 AM
how do you submit a pic

Keith_A_Howe
05-24-2011, 04:11 AM
Are you asking about submitting images to print competition? Or how to post photos on this forum?

Keith

Tamgerine
10-07-2011, 12:10 AM
So I'm confused. How do you get your merit on record? If I did say a community event for photography, how would I submit that for a merit? Or if I got an award in a national competition? I can't find anywhere on the website how you GET a merit.

Michael_Gan
10-07-2011, 12:31 AM
Here is the link to the information you want: http://www.ppa.com/education-events/meritsdegrees/earning-merits.php

Keith_A_Howe
10-07-2011, 12:48 AM
So I'm confused. How do you get your merit on record? If I did say a community event for photography, how would I submit that for a merit? Or if I got an award in a national competition? I can't find anywhere on the website how you GET a merit.

Tammy,

If you did a community event for photography it would not earn you a merit - UNLESS it was an approved PPA continuing education class. You have to apply in advance and be approved. But once your class is approved, the instructor and the participants each receive merits. How those merits get posted is by the instructor filling out the proper paperwork for each attendee and paying the $25 per attendee for the merit. So if you undertake a Continuing Education workshop make sure you cover that $25 fee in your registration. If you attend an event billed as a PPA continuing Education workshop, then you will recieve a merit for that. Regular state or local meetings do not earn you PPA merits.

If you get a merit or loan image at the IPC ( International Print Competition) then those merits automatically get posted to your merit record. It takes no further action on your part. The ONLY competition that actual earns you merits is IPC. Some people will say it merited at their state, but that's just a misuse of terminology. What they mean is it scored 80 or above at their state or local competition. At the district level ( several states and Canadian provinces form each of the 5 districts) you can earn a seal for a print scoring 80 or above. Again, people incorrectly say it merited at district. While that is accepted slang, it can be misleading to newcomers. It does not merit at district. It gets a seal. In order to receive the merit it MUST be sent on to IPC. At IPC it is an automatic merit if it is sealed.

Hope this helps.
Keith