PDA

View Full Version : Color Correction

Howard_Kier
10-08-2010, 05:43 AM
As I get ready for my recertification image submission, I've been looking at the image galleries to get an idea of what is being commented on and the types of images being submitted. Looking at some of the images in the gallery, I've immediately noticed a lack of proper color correction.

While you might be able to submit "close enough" images to your lab and receive properly corrected images, I don't think that will cut it with the judges. Any image submitted for judging must be properly color and exposure corrected. This means you're going to need to work from a calibrated monitor OR be able to correct by the "numbers" but preferably both.

I would strongly urge any photographer who has posted a photo for critique and received comments about color correction to take a closer look at all of their images. For I know I quickly tired of posting the same comment about color correction over and over and over.... I'm willing to bet other commentators feel the same way.

GregYager
10-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Type it once... Then use copy/paste

That should help take the stress out of it. :D

Howard_Kier
10-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Actually, I was going to program my Logitech G13 programmable keyboard to do it for me. Then I won't even have to type it out the first time for cut/paste.

GregYager
10-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Good thinking Howard. I'm really thinking I need to buy one of those.

Joe_Campanellie
10-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Well...I grew up in a darkroom making custom color murals when I worked for my Dad. So...for me correct color and density has never been much of a problem. It's what I grew up with in photography.

With today's technology it has brought everything to the doorstep of the masses. The problem is if you don't know how to use that technology to get optimum results...it won't do you a bit of good. Too many people trying to do everything themselves now and they aren't equipped with the knowledge or the tools.

Just my opinion from what I see.

GregYager
10-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Very true Joe. I've always said "I'm a photographer. Not a printer."

I remember the day when I used to print all of my work in the darkroom and my thought was "If I don't print it then it's not my work."

Age has given this hippy a bit of wisdom and I shudder at the thought of using a darkroom again for the masses. That's what I have a lab for.

The one good thing that came out of it was a firm knowledge in color and density. The main reason I'm considering X-keys is for speed in repetitious work. I shoot 1000-1500 images per wedding and have the edited versions ready for the bride to see within 2 days. Reducing that to one day would be awesome. Keystrokes and mouse clicks add up when you're dealing with that many images at a time.

Joe_Campanellie
10-13-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm an old hippie too I guess. Gave up my darkroom some years ago but still enjoy printing my own work. Especially my competition prints as well as my fine art and nature work on my new 44" HP printer.

Client work looks great. Haven't had any free time to test some alternate media for my nature work.

GregYager
10-14-2010, 10:13 PM
I get jealous every time you mention that 44" printer Joe.

I'm toying with the idea of going back to doing some of my own printing but I wasn't sure it I would really be saving much over the RC prints I currently get from my lab. Would you mind sharing a bit about what it costs you to print?

Joe_Campanellie
10-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Not sure with the new printer. It does have software in it that will allow me to calculate each print and what the costs are depending on the material used. Have not set that up yet unfortunately.

For me it's never been about the costs...more of the control over my final product. Especially when it comes to our fine art prints and competition prints. All the decisions are mine and not somebody who was not behind the camera.

GregYager
10-15-2010, 12:16 AM
For me it's never been about the costs...more of the control over my final product. Especially when it comes to our fine art prints and competition prints. All the decisions are mine and not somebody who was not behind the camera.

That's the part I want back soooooo bad. I always said that sending images to a lab was like Leonardo DaVinci sending a sketch to a one hour oil painting lab and selling them. It's not really his work if he didn't put the oil to the canvas.

As I mentioned earlier I convinced myself I was a photographer and not a printer which is why I leave that part to my lab.

This train of thought is great and it means less work for me but I'm ready to go back to being an artist.

I have to be practical though so if it doubles my cost I would be shooting myself in the foot and that hurts.

Joe_Campanellie
10-15-2010, 01:59 AM
Well...you don't have to do "all" your own printing. Let your lab do what they do well and leave the more custom work to yourself.

The main reason for the 44" printer was to be able to print some of my own large canvas pieces.

GregYager
10-15-2010, 02:24 AM
Not to mention that you got a sweet deal on it. I'll start small at first. Probably nothing wider than 20". I've learned not to jump too deep too fast.

When it comes to inkjet I've always been an Epson fan but I've never had a printer that was more than a consumer model. I have a small 4x6 printer of theirs that I bought for passport, concealed weapons permits etc... I absolutely love the images it makes. Amazes me the quality I get out of a $99 printer. Their paper makes a big difference I think.

Betsy_Finn
10-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Moderator Note: guys, there has been a request or two to keep this thread on topic (color correction as relates to CPP = original topic)... fwiw.

GregYager
10-15-2010, 07:14 PM
We did kind of get off on a printer thing huh.

Joe_Campanellie
10-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Thought I addressed that...the problem is that too many people are making decisions about color and density that do not have the knowledge or experience to do so. Doesn't matter if it's for CPP or for client delivery. It's all part of the same problem in this "I can do it all myself" mentality. Take the time to find out what is involved in providing good color...no matter if it's digital...or print.

In the old days we judged color prints within the confines of a controlled environment with color calibrated lighting conditions. It should be no different now with digital. You can't expect to send in images on a non calibrated system and expect the results to be perfect in a judging situation.

GregYager
10-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Joe,
Do you use a monitor calibration tool or do you do it by eye? I've done both and I seem to get more accurate results when I do it by eye. Using the calibrator made my screen bright which in turn made my images dull and dark.

Joe_Campanellie
10-15-2010, 09:23 PM
I have an older X-rite. I hear good things about the color monkeys because you can calibrate your whole system with that. Including your monitor as well as your digital projector.