PDA

View Full Version : Any study groups getting together ?

dpalme
09-17-2010, 10:28 PM
in preparation for the test at imaging usa?

David_Capano
09-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Sounds like you've got the beginnings of one right here! ;-)

dpalme
10-07-2010, 06:57 PM
LOL Uh huh but nobody else responded! LOL

I suppose we can try this again.....

David_Capano
10-08-2010, 06:53 AM
OK, Doug... let's do this.

To anyone lurking here, jump on in, OK? We're glad to have you on board!

Alright, here's the first thing I want to know about the landscape as it is today...

The official website lists the resource book for certification as Photography by Barbara London, 9th edition here (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0131752014?tag=ppaphotocentr-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0131752014&adid=1MM04174985P1HVCFENZ&). I've followed this and know that a new edition of this book became available here (http://www.amazon.com/Photography-10th-Barbara-London/dp/0205711499/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286517096&sr=1-1). It's the same title, same author, new edition. I wonder if this would be just as good as the 9th edition as a study aide or if there might be something specific about the 9th edition that makes it more applicable?

Anyone? ...anyone?

David_Capano
10-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Doug,

I'd also like to know:

1. Have you declared candidacy yet?
2. Do you intend to take the test or submit images first?
3. Are you working on a preferred timeline to completion? If so, what is your timeline?

David_Capano
10-08-2010, 07:34 AM
To the CPPs: I notice that we can upload our images and I think that's awesome, but it appears that this is the only method of submitting images for certification now. Is that true? I'd be a little bummed if prints were not accepted for submission, though I must admit that submitting digitally would push me even farther in skill, so I can't exactly balk at that. Just wondering.

Linda_Gregory
10-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I would be game too, as soon as we figure out which volumn and get it in my hands. I would think the 9th volume would be outdated, especially since I believe the test to have dropped a bunch of info about film & transparencies (which I'd ace and have a leg up with).

dpalme
10-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I have the 9th edition myself, I bought it late last year and unless I'm told it will not work I would be using that one. I was not even aware of the new edition until you said something.

I do recall though last year people talking about having the 8th and asking if that would work and they were told yes. Not sure if this helps or not.

No, I have not declared my candidacy yet, and I am planning on taking the exam first.

My plan is to take the exam in January at Imaging USA.

David_Capano
10-08-2010, 05:52 PM
OK,

I'll work on an answer to the book and post back here. ...the new version was just released a few months ago.

dpalme
10-08-2010, 06:23 PM
According to the Certified Professional Photographers Commission, either book will work. Apparently there is little change between the two and they recommend using whatever we have.

dpalme
10-08-2010, 07:13 PM
I have another local photographer that is interested in joining the study group as well.

David_Capano
10-08-2010, 10:53 PM
According to the Certified Professional Photographers Commission, either book will work. Apparently there is little change between the two and they recommend using whatever we have.

Excellent! Thanks for beating me to the punch. I plan to purchase the 10th edition within the next couple of weeks, so we can discuss using both sources (never a bad thing to have more information.)

David_Capano
10-08-2010, 10:54 PM
I have another local photographer that is interested in joining the study group as well.

Fantastic!

Have her sign up for an account here and let her join in!

We'll be helping each other quite a bit and by making the discussion available to others we just might help some more reclusive folks. (Shhh! We call them 'lurkers.') :D

David_Capano
10-09-2010, 04:13 AM
OK Doug & Linda,

I don't have the book in hand yet. Please let me know how many chapters there are and we can come up with a tentative reading / discussion schedule so that we're all prepped (as far as study is concerned) by January.

dpalme
10-09-2010, 05:13 AM
1. Getting started
2. camera
3. lens
4. exposure, sensors, and film
5. developing the negative
6. printing in a darkroom
7. color
8. setting up a digital darkroom
9. image editing
10. digital printing
11. organizing and storing your work
12. print finishing and display
13. lighting
14. extending he image
15. view camera
16. the zone system
17. seeing photographs
18. history of photography

dpalme
10-09-2010, 05:15 AM
There are 18 chapters and approximately 14 weeks until Imaging USA 2011. So, we would need to combine a couple of chapters....

David_Capano
10-09-2010, 06:49 AM
I found the chapter list for 10th edition and it's identical. Browsing through, I see some chapters which (in my mind) go together very well. The way I've broken it down, there would be 12 'groups.' If we agree on 12 groups (mine or some other sorting order) I could place my order right away and we could start next week and it would give us a week before Imaging to wrap up and go back over things etc... What do you think?

Here are the groupings I was thinking of:

Chapters 1, 2 & 3 (Getting Started, Camera & Lens)

Chapter 4 (Exposure, Sensors and Film)

Chapters 5 & 6 (Developing the Negative & Printing in a Darkroom)

Chapter 7 (Color)

Chapter 8 (Setting Up a Digital Darkroom)

Chapter 9 (Image Editing)

Chapter 10 (Digital Printing)

Chapters 11 & 12 (Organizing and Storing Your Work & Print Finishing and Display)

Chapter 13 (Lighting)

Chapters 14 & 15 (Extending the Image & View Camera)

Chapter 16 (The Zone System)

Chapters 17 & 18 (Seeing Photographs & History of Photography)

Of course, if you two feel like you're 'under the gun' as it is, start without me and I'll catch up. I should also note that I fully intend to utilize my favorite texts for review during this period as well to supplement this book, those being the Basic & Beyond Basic Manuals by Henry Hornstein.

GregYager
10-09-2010, 04:15 PM
OK, count me in. Ordered my book today and ready to get this thing behind me. Declaring my candidacy this week as well and plan to submit my 20 images for review this month.

dpalme
10-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I have some additional info that as soon as I find it :) I will pass it along.

Welcome Greg, glad to have ya on board!

dpalme
10-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Here is a useful link that provides a summary of each chapter (9th edition) and study questions.

I remember last year it was mentioned that the questions are not taken directly from the book, but are real world examples based upon the principles in the book. I am not sure if they are still working from the same pool of 300 questions or not, I know that some of them were going to be retired.

Anyway, I thought this link would be useful:

http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_london_photo_9/68/17418/4459031.cw/index.html

GregYager
10-09-2010, 07:59 PM
OK, I just took the practice exams on all chapters and did rather well. I'm curious if anyone found out how much of the test has changed to reflect modern photography though. I suffered considerable brain strain on the exams because the bulk of the questions referred techniques I haven't used in 10 years.

I worked with transparencies for many years but I think it's safe to say that they are now out dated.

I've never used a view camera but luckily my guessing skills were pretty good in that category.

The pinhole camera questions were quite entertaining when you consider this is a test geared toward professional photographers. Fortunately I had built one as a child so I had at least some knowledge in this area.

I've been searching but I haven't found a list of categories covered in the current test. Has anyone had more luck than me on this?

David_Capano
10-09-2010, 10:57 PM
One can find a list of sample questions directly from the exams here (http://www.certifiedphotographer.com/images/uploads/Sample%20Test%20Questions.pdf). The questions are current.

I don't know about categories, but think that those of us coming from the 'old school' are good to go either way. I have used a view camera, but it's been a long time. Regardless, I remember a lot. Younger folks that got into photography well after the digital revolution might have a harder time... dunno.

GregYager
10-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Yeah I'm familiar with that sample test. Managed to ace it when I first signed up here so that was rather motivating.

What I was hoping to avoid was going back and brushing up on darkroom techniques and chemistry that I'll never again use now that digital has taken over.

I would love to have a view camera but I couldn't imagine what practical use I would have for it in my business.

Is version 10 of "The Book" geared more towards modern photography techniques? Holding off on my order til I know I have the best resource for the test.

David_Capano
10-10-2010, 12:04 AM
I might be kicking myself later for this, but I just ordered the book.

Anyone have thoughts / feelings regarding the schedule of study?

dpalme
10-10-2010, 01:37 AM
The schedule looks fine to me. Would it help if we had a separate thread for each week?

dpalme
10-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Greg,
From what I was told by the commission, there is little difference between the 9th and 10th editions.

I found this information on the commissions website:

CAMERA, LENSES AND ATTACHMENTS (15%)

Items relating to this category will include digital and film cameras as well as the various lenses and attachments that might be utilized on either type of camera.

1. Select the appropriate camera for subject matter and output requirements.
2. Select the appropriate lens based upon size and distance of subject matter as well as desired perspective.
3. Use camera, camera menu settings, and camera supports to create a quality image.
4. Select and use the appropriate lens attachment

COMPOSITION AND DESIGN (17%)

Items relating to this area will focus on the following topics: (1) Subject placement within image area; (2) Special effects, including props; (3) location; (4) clothing; (5) posing; (6) color harmony/color wheel; and (7) coordination of background and subject.

1. Determine the best color relationship to complement subject(s) to achieve the desired effects.
2. Analyze the environment to complement subject(s) to achieve the desired effects.
3. Frame or crop the picture within the camera’s viewfinder.
4. Use angle of view to produce the desired effect (mood, power, size, strength, etc).
5. Position and pose subject(s) with selected background, special effects, and props to achieve the desired effect.

DIGITAL POST PRODUCTION (13%)

Items measuring this specification will include: (1) color space; (2) file formats and resolution; (3) calibration; and (4) storage. Basic knowledge of PhotoShop will be necessary.

1. Determine best color space in which to work.
2. Select appropriate file format.
3. Create/employ a color management system.
4. Select appropriate file management and archival systems.
5. Manipulate digital images

EXPOSURE AND METERS (20%)

Items measuring this set of specifications will include (1) h ow to meter for the correct exposure; and (2) the relationship between shutter speed and f-stop.

1. Employ a light meter properly to achieve desired exposures.
2. Set f/stops and shutter speed based upon exposure and desired effects.
3. Verify proper exposure.

FILM, DIGITAL CAPTURE, AND OUTPUT (15%)

Items included in this section will measure of (1) digital capture; (2) film; and (3) output options (paper, electronic, web, etc.).

1. Considering lighting conditions, select the type of film based upon the final product needed (e.g. black and white, color, transparency, etc.) and desired result.
2. Select the appropriate capture media for subject matter, format requirements, and final job requirements.
3. Identify and correct problems in images.
4. Output/Print image to desired medium.

LIGHTING (20%)

This portion of the examination will measure (1) how to best light the subject; (2) possible types of lighting (Studio, Ambient, Flash, Daylight); (3) lighting design; and (4) lighting equipment.

1. Evaluate the source(s) of light at the location where subject(s) will be photographed to determine the tools necessary to complete the assignment.
2. Determine the lighting ratio.
3. Understand light modifiers (gobos, gels, spots, flags, etc.) and their uses.
4. Determine the type of lighting design (Rembrandt, split, broad, short, etc.) to be used with the given subject(s).
5. Determine the appropriate lighting usage (main, fill, etc) for subject(s).
6. Understand the theory of light.
7. Select the appropriate filter for color correction of the light source.
8. Use lighting techniques as composition and design elements.

David_Capano
10-10-2010, 01:53 AM
The schedule looks fine to me. Would it help if we had a separate thread for each week?

Not a bad idea. I was thinking we could set up a conference call and discuss in person first, then post here. Those posts could be in different threads and it might be very helpful to organize that way for folks learning by lurking. ;)

GregYager
10-10-2010, 02:26 AM
That's exactly what I was looking for Doug! That's very different from the London study guide link. Nothing on emulsions, chemistry, view cameras, traditional darkrooms, history etc...

What's the web address for that?

dpalme
10-10-2010, 03:39 AM
http://www.certifiedphotographer.com/resources/cpp-resources/

GregYager
10-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Ok. I have officially declared my candidacy. I'm seriously considering going to Springfield Illinois on the 24th to take the exam. Narrowing down my image submissions this week and should have my final 20 selected in time for this month's deadline.

dpalme
10-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Is everyone ready to get started? Or are some still waiting on their book?

GregYager
10-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Go for it. If you have the book in hand that should be all that's needed to begin.

dpalme
10-12-2010, 06:42 PM
How about if we set the schedule as follows, I made a change by combining the first four chapters, which really should be easy to get through I would suspect.

We'll start a new thread each week for questions, comments, etc. and everyone can take that london assessment and post their results....we can then see how we are all doing and help where needed.

Week of October 17th - Chapters 1, 2 & 3 & 4(Getting Started, Camera & Lens, Exposure, Sensors and Film)

Week of October 24th - Chapters 5 & 6 (Developing the Negative & Printing in a Darkroom)

Week of October 31st - Chapter 7 (Color)

Week of November 7th - Chapter 8 (Setting Up a Digital Darkroom)

Week of November 14th - Chapter 9 (Image Editing)

Week of November 21st - Chapter 10 (Digital Printing)

Week of November 28th - Chapters 11 & 12 (Organizing and Storing Your Work & Print Finishing and Display)

Week of December 5th - Chapter 13 (Lighting)

Week of December 12th - Chapters 14 & 15 (Extending the Image & View Camera)

Week of December 19th - Chapter 16 (The Zone System)

Week of December 26th - Chapters 17 & 18 (Seeing Photographs & History of Photography)

The following week ( one week before exam time ) we just review, etc.

GregYager
10-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Works for me. I'll be testing on the 24th of this month but I'll stay with you guys til all subjects are covered.

dpalme
10-13-2010, 01:10 AM
David, Linda is everyone still game?

GregYager
10-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey guys, I found an incredible link that was put together by Heather Smith. It's study guide flash cards and you can find it here:
http://quizlet.com/2059436/certified-professional-photographer-flash-cards/

I found it on Certify with Sandy which is a great resource for anyone looking to become certified.

David_Capano
09-19-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm such a tool! I got the book way back when we were talking about this, but life took over in some pretty ugly ways... to make it worse, this isn't the first time.

At any rate, how did everyone do? Everybody certified now except me? lol

I'm studying the book again, but honestly I'm considering taking the test without getting through the book. Yes, it's about a subject of great interest to me, but going through 'Basic Photography' all over again is getting a little boring.

Anyway... resurrecting this thread from the ashes... Where's everyone at in the journey to certification?

photophan
09-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Hi Guys
I guess I will hop on the ride too. But I got to order the book ! I will go with 10th edition
You guys are such good sports starting this.

David_Capano
09-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Catalin,

Let me know when your book arrives. I've got a feeling everyone else in the thread has already been certified and moved on, which is AWESOME.

Speaking of which... if any of them are listening, do you market your certification?

I'm asking because I believe in marketing everything you have to market... BUT for ME, I'm not seeking certification for marketing purposes, I'm seeking it for myself and myself alone. It's just a personal challenge. I've got a feeling that my clients wouldn't really care about it. Of course, it couldn't hurt either as long as it's not overdone. Thoughts?