PDA

View Full Version : I need some critique.

studio_H
09-17-2010, 02:38 AM
First, my apologies if I'm going about this the wrong way. I've been searching the forums for the proper way to post a photo and I now think my head is going to explode. I'm working on some images to enter in print competition. This is one. Does it have a chance?

GregYager
09-17-2010, 03:17 AM
Welcome aboard. Searching through these forums and figuring out the system can be quite a brain strain at first but you'll get used to it.

I'm no judge but some things I do know so just consider this an opinion....

Too many catch lights in the eyes. The highlights on her arm seem to be blown out and the window frame in the corner seems distracting. I like the image and I'm sure she did but compared to some of the successful images I've been seeing lately I'd say look for an image with a bit more impact.(My work's no better I've just been getting tons of advice on this lately)

There's an awesome thread running in the Competition category Called the 12 Elements where we're discussing the 12 elements of winning images. Each element has it's own thread and we cover a new element each week. You got here just in time as we're only on the 3rd element. The title of the threads have been shortened btw to T12E-Composition etc...

Take a look at those and feel free to join in.

Once again, welcome to the forum and feel free to jump right in.

Keith_A_Howe
09-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi not trying to put you off but I have to take off to a full day so I will try to get to this maybe tonight...
Keith

studio_H
09-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Greg, Kieth, thank you very much for the response. I appreciate the advice and the help.

Thank you,
Ruben

Keith_A_Howe
09-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Ruben
Sorry it has taken me so long.
While this is a very pleasing image there are some issues that would keep this from meriting in my opinion. This is an excellant model! I would try to do this again with her if possible. You are working with window light which can be dramatic and you have her placed in the right area to get that wonderful light quality. With that said there is still an issue with the lighting, she is broad lit. When you look at her there is a wonderful ratio from highlight to shadow but her face is turned too far to camera left. The result is putting too much attention on her nose, making it look bigger and longer than it needs to. By turning her face just a bit to camera right you would have used a more pleasing short light pattern on her face. This would have softened the ratio on her nose and given more dimension to her right cheek bone and hair. Next I would suggest turning her body a little to camera left instead of straight to camera. While this can be good if you want to flatten out the body or make some one appear broader or larger, most of the time girls would prefer to look slimmer and curvy. I think Greg mentioned the hand up. Some of the reasons this is a problem is that it is closer to the light source, therefor brighter and draws attention away from the face. Cropping the arm where you have is uncomfortable looking, generally if you are going to show the hand, keep the arm at least to the fold of the elbow so that it shows a connection to her body. Lastly I feel the angled drapes in the upper right corner are a distraction that pulls the eye away from this wonderful subject.
I don't want to discourage you with this CC. Please keep working at it. I think this image shows greeat potential.

Keith

studio_H
09-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Keith,
Thank you so very much. I appreciate the critique. I am not discourage but inspired to do better.