PDA

View Full Version : Images accepted

Michael_Broyles
09-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Received notice today that my images were accepted - first time submitting them. However, have taken written test twice and I received a 68 each time.

My current plan is to take certification class at Imaging with test to follow. It is my understanding others have found the three day class helpful. Any feedback welcome.

NOTE: Yes, I studied "THE BOOK" and took a one day class. AND, yes I am a poor test taker lol

GregYager
09-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Look at it this way...3 days has to be better than 1. It gives the information a bit more time to soak in so it's not just fresh in your mind but more like comfortably there.

Missy50
09-16-2010, 09:41 PM
I am a poor test taker as well. Let us just say "I FREAK!"

I also made a 68 my first time 2 weeks ago. And I took the CPP Prep class. I am also not the only one who did not pass.

I did not sleep well for several nights in a hotel, alone, freaking over a test, sitting up all night studying, drinking intirely too much coffee those few days. Too much coffee the day of the test. I changed 4 answers 3 of which I know were right, to wrong answers-(have revisited them on the prentice hall practice test have not run across the 4th one yet).

Things I would do differently.
*Have a roommate~I am just not used to traveling alone
*Sleep in my own bed if possible ~ and next time I just have to get up early and drive
*Don't drink too much caffine or so much your head is just buzzing and whirlling
*Go over all (multiple choice, fill in the blank and T&F) Prentice Hall practice tests before weeks before taking the tests. Find your weak spots and go back and study some more.
*Don't change any answers on the test. Statistics show, especially test freakers like us, our first answer is always right. We do not trust ourselves and will second, third and fourth guess ourselves.
*Try to get some exercise, get rid of some of that nervous energy

Congrats on having your images accepted! You are almost there!

Mark_Katz
09-16-2010, 11:00 PM
...Things I would do differently.
*Have a roommate~I am just not used to traveling alone
*Sleep in my own bed if possible ~ and next time I just have to get up early and drive
*Don't drink too much caffine or so much your head is just buzzing and whirlling
*Go over all (multiple choice, fill in the blank and T&F) Prentice Hall practice tests before weeks before taking the tests. Find your weak spots and go back and study some more.
*Don't change any answers on the test. Statistics show, especially test freakers like us, our first answer is always right. We do not trust ourselves and will second, third and fourth guess ourselves.
*Try to get some exercise, get rid of some of that nervous energy

How about... RELAX and don't STRESS out. Deep breathing helps. It's just a test. If you know the info, it won't help to freak out. :D

Missy50
09-17-2010, 12:02 AM
How about... RELAX and don't STRESS out. Deep breathing helps. It's just a test. If you know the info, it won't help to freak out. :D

TeeHeeHee:D:D

One gal kept hitting her head w/the envelope, then the paper. She never announced her score, just she didn't pass. She announced on FB that her images were accepted today. She is a very good photographer. Seems like there are a couple of others who did not make it. One made the same grade I made. And then another decided not to take the test.

I felt so sick for at least 15 minutes. But if I left the room, I knew the proctor would not allow me to come back in. I will be calmer next time. :) I promise. It is just a test.

Heather_L._Smith
09-17-2010, 02:26 AM
But if I left the room, I knew the proctor would not allow me to come back in.

Hehe... yep... you're right :)

One of the really critical things is to PRACTICE those areas you're weak in. If you really struggle in some key areas, study from the book, and take the online tests, but it's not going to really sink in until you practice, practice, practice. I'm a terrible test taker, but by the time I sat for the exam, I had a very good working knowledge of what they were asking. The good news is that you know what to expect on the exam, and you should have a pretty good idea of where your weaknesses are. Just practice - try stuff, fail at stuff, and figure out how to nail it. That's the best way to get through the exam.

Additionally, if you've passed your image review, then you really need to just take a deep breath and relax. Seriously. Don't freak out. Don't second-guess yourself. Don't over think or over analyze the questions. They're not trying to trick you - they're testing the depth of your knowledge.

Most importantly, don't give up. Get a study buddy if you need it so you're not doing it alone.

Missy50
09-17-2010, 03:22 AM
I did not practice those tests enough. That is for sure. And I only did the multiple choice. School was over 20 years ago. The class was like a textbook refresher of not all the classes I have taken, but a big chunk, all crammed into 3 days. It was fun though. A lot more fun than I thought and I was worried about digital and put all my eggs in that basket. I have not shot film in 4-5 years and it has been a while since I have done any darkroom work. I know I missed some film stuff. I just could not retain what Gary covered in class.

Michael_Broyles
09-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks all for these great insights.

Stephanie_Millner
09-29-2010, 12:27 PM
It also helps before you start to write out a chart of your F-stops, Shutter Speeds, ISOs, and a Color Wheel (RGB & CMYK). Highly recommend doing this, as it will answer at least a quarter of the questions just from these charts! Good luck. 3rd time's a charm!

Cassandra_Sullivan
09-29-2010, 05:51 PM
It also helps before you start to write out a chart of your F-stops, Shutter Speeds, ISOs, and a Color Wheel (RGB & CMYK). Highly recommend doing this, as it will answer at least a quarter of the questions just from these charts!

Yes! That helped me tremendously, too.

Good luck!

Joe_Galioto
09-29-2010, 06:04 PM
micheal,
your not alone, my images were excepted the first round too.
but being a lousy test taker it took me three tries at the written.
67, 69 and then i passed the 3rd time.
i never opened the book before the 1st two and there were things outside my area of photography that i knew nothing about. color chem. view camera etc.
you bet i studied before that 3rd test, it was getting embarrassing.
i would imagine the questions have changed a lot since i took the exam in the mid eighties(i'm dating myself) their was nothing on digital back then.
good luck
joe