PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Con Class Suggestions

PhotoGirl_2010
09-08-2010, 04:14 PM
I am struggling between The Secrets To Turning Pro and The Business of Portrait Photography. I fall into both categories...starting a portrait business. Would doing the Turning Pro with Speed Shoot be the best? Any info would be great!!

Thanks

GregYager
09-09-2010, 01:13 AM
That's a tough one girl. Where do you feel the strongest, shooting ability or business skills?

Rick_Massarini
09-09-2010, 03:15 AM
Take Ann Monteith's program. She's a great lady, fun to be around, and she's an incredible wealth of knowledge. She's also an International Juror and a PPA Past President.

PhotoGirl_2010
09-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks Rick! I will run/click over and sign up for her class.
Greg, I think the lighting and portrait information would be the most beneficial for bettering my product. But I also don't want to make all the first-timer newbie mistakes when I do start thinking profit over exposure. By the way, the creativity thread suggestion was GREAT!! I loved looking and learning. It has become a regular stop to see what new is said.

GregYager
09-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Glad to hear. Feel free to ask questions there and gather as much knowledge as you can. The latest thread in that series is T12E - Composition.

David_Capano
09-10-2010, 04:12 AM
Take Ann Monteith's program. She's a great lady, fun to be around, and she's an incredible wealth of knowledge. She's also an International Juror and a PPA Past President.

Ann Monteith for sure. I second the motion. ;)

Jim_Lersch
09-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Beth, if you're also going to photograph seniors, be sure to see my pre-con class with Beth Forester on January 14th! Guaranteed to inspire.

Suzy_Roberts
09-26-2010, 04:47 PM
We (TriCoast) is doing a PreCon class as well! :) Lighting (OCF) and some posing! :)

Stan_Lawrence
09-26-2010, 08:51 PM
I am struggling between The Secrets To Turning Pro and The Business of Portrait Photography. I fall into both categories...starting a portrait business. Would doing the Turning Pro with Speed Shoot be the best? Any info would be great!!

Thanks

Business, for sure. Anne Monteith is a great suggestion. If you're just getting started in the business, make your business to photography classes are about 10-1. :cool:

Todd_Reichman
09-26-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm also teaching a pre-con class, but its probably not the one you want to take (Business of Wedding Photography). I will say that you probably can't go wrong with either the Business of Portrait Photography or the Secrets to Success class. The Portrait class might focus a little more on business specifics and benchmarks, which is a great thing.

6 years ago I attended IUSA for the first time. I didn't even own a camera, hadn't started a business or learned anything. I attended the Secrets of Success class with Steve Kozak in order to learn whether or not I actually understood what it took to run a business and to basically take that gut check as to whether or not I had what it took to be a professional. Its a good class for getting that reality check. This business isn't for everyone and Steve did a great job of giving a sense of what it takes. Not everyone who takes that class should opt to go forward, and that's a good thing. 6 years later I'm running a top-performing business and teaching a class of my own, and I wouldn't have made it this far without taking that pre-con class.

Good luck with which ever course you chose. Hard to go wrong with either.

- trr

PhotoGirl_2010
09-29-2010, 03:33 AM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I wish I could be at all of them (seriously, there are so many classes I want to take that are overlapping!).

Todd, I will look at that class. I did plan on attending the Stop Competing on Price.