PDA

View Full Version : Advertising Rules

Howard_Kier
05-12-2006, 04:56 AM
I was wondering what the rules are for using the CPP logo in a Photographer's promotional material.

What are the general rules?
How are the rules enforced?
Are there procedures in place to report suspected misuse of the CPP logo?

Jackie_Haggerty
05-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Howard,

When you download the zip file of PPA logos from the site, there is a file included that shows acceptable uses of the PPA logo. Have you accessed this file yet?

Jackie

P.S. From Chicago burbs huh? Heard of Haggerty Chev., Pontiac, and Ford? I might just know them.... :) ;)

Howard_Kier
05-13-2006, 03:59 AM
All right, rather than beating around the bush, let me get straight to the point. I suspect a photographer or two are claiming in print advertising to be CPPs when they may in fact not be or may have let their CPPs expire.

What should I do?

P.S. I drive a Montana and my wife drives a Malibu. Both will need to be replaced in the near future.. Hint Hint, Nudge Nudge ;):D

Jackie_Haggerty
05-13-2006, 04:20 AM
Howard,

If that is the case, let PPA know if that is the case. If they feel it is necessary to address, I am sure they will get the job done.

Jackie

P.S. Go to the Glen Ellyn Haggerty Chevy and ask for Mike (Haggerty,of course). He's the new car manager. Tell him I sent ya. ;)

Howard_Kier
05-13-2006, 05:42 AM
Is there a specific person or department which should be contacted with my concerns?

D._Craig_Flory
05-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi Howard;

You could first go to www.ppa.com and look at the lists. I'm listed under Certified and under Craftsman. So you can look to see if you can find the names. If you do ... they are still certified. If not there ... call PPA and ask for certification.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, PPA Liaison, Cr.Photog., ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

Jackie_Haggerty
05-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Howard,

Also, under the PPA site, if you look under the consumers tab, there is a link to report trademark abuse. If you click on the link, it is a quick online form to report trademark abuse.

Jackie

Howard_Kier
05-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Jackie, Craig,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Please rest assured that I am very careful when dealing with somebody else's reputation. However, in this case, I was not able to find the photographers who claim to be CPP (and in two cases a Master), in the current PPA membership directory!

While I do not go out of my way to police these matters, this just fell into my lap. A videographer friend in another part of Illinois sent me a copy of a wedding magazine with her ad. Out of curiosity (since I primarily photograph weddings) I checked out the photography section and noticed a large number of CPPs advertised and a logo I didn't recognize which turned out to be the Master Photographer logo.

Knowing, in Illinois, with thousands of photographers there are less than 100 CPPs (at last check) and according to PPA, CPPs account for 3% or less of the photographer population, something seems strange when over 50% of the ads display the CPP logo and 25% of the ads display the Master Photographer logo.

Now I understand there might be a legitimate reason such as a local association which pushes certification so I investigated further. My first stop was both the PPA and the Certification Commission websites. When I couldn't find either the photographers or the studios in either list, I started this thread looking for further guidance.

As one who has already earned my CPP and recently been awarded my wedding endorsement, I do not want the value of my or anybody elses accomplishments to be diluted by those who may be falsely claiming rights and honors not due to them.

Jack_Reznicki
05-14-2006, 08:04 PM
I was not able to find the photographers who claim to be CPP (and in two cases a Master), in the current PPA membership directory!

Howard,

Please pass on your information to PPA headquarters, either via phone or email.
PPA takes these issues very, very seriously and we aggressively pursue them.

Don_Chick
05-15-2006, 04:13 AM
Howard,

All my dealings with PPA regarding Certification have been with,

David Mithofer
Manager, Member Services

Mithofer, David (PPA) [dmithofer@PPA.com]

I let him know of an indivudual claiming to be certified and wasn't, he took care of it.

Howard_Kier
05-27-2006, 06:41 PM
I spoke with David Mithofer yesterday about this situation. He apologized for not having somebody get back to me based on my comments in this thread and via the PPA website. Unfortunately, he indicated the Masters degree does not enjoy the same level of protection as the CPP. After receiving my documentation (which was resent to David ASAP) David indicated there was a multistep process in place to protect the Certified logos.

A letter will be sent to the photographer reiterating the protected status of the CPP logos. If the letter was sent in error to please contact the PPA to resolve the issue.
If there is no response to the first letter, the lawyers write a cease and desist letter.
Legal action is initiated.

I was assured PPA does take misuse of the Certified logos very seriously and will vigorously protect them.

Howard_Kier
05-30-2006, 05:49 PM
I just received an e-mail reply from PPA regarding the logo use violations:

The xxxx's were PPA members up until very recently; we will be contacting them and reminding them to remove the certified logo from their next round of ads and immediately from their website.

aaaa and bbbb zzzz are both members in good standing with PPA; bbbb is certified.

xyx Photography and Video's owner, xxxx xxxx, is a PPA member -- however, he is not certified. We will remind him to use the appropriate logo.

As always, thanks for keeping an eye out for these things; spotting improper uses is one of the key ways to preserve the value and integrity of the program.

Sincerely,
Stephen Morris
PPA Copyright and Government Affairs