PDA

View Full Version : Prep and Exam in San Francisco 10/29-10/31

Marc_Benjamin
08-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey Gang,

Looking to take the test soon? Want a reason to visit San Francisco? Then this is the class for you!

Golden Gate School and the Professional Photographers of the Greater (San Francisco) Bay Area is offering a 3 day CPP prep and exam in downtown San Francisco. The test itself will be administered on the third day after lunch.

The class will be taught by Glen Cope, Cr. Photog CPP who is the Chairman of the Professional Photographic Certification Commission. Like how crazy is that, everyone at this class will be taught by the leading authority on the subject.

The test will be proctored by CPP Liason Jeorg Lehman Cr. Photog CPP who is the Chairman of PPGBA and an active member at the Certify with Sandy Puc' forums.

CLICK HERE for cost and more info (http://www.ppgba.org/calendar/certification/)

Hope to see you there!

Keith_A_Howe
08-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Hey Marc! Not interested in the CPP thing but we will be in San Francisco the week before that. Maybe we can meet up for lunch or something.

Keith

Michael_Gan
08-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Just a quick bit of information...

The course is a "Certification Preparation Course" and is NOT a cram course. That is, it is not a course that tells you what will be in the exam and is NOT a guarantee that you will pass the exam.

Marc_Benjamin
08-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Just a quick bit of information...

The course is a "Certification Preparation Course" and is NOT a cram course. That is, it is not a course that tells you what will be in the exam and is NOT a guarantee that you will pass the exam.

Agreed, the tittle should be Prep and Exam though this is probably the closest that it can get by basic definition of "cram". Additionally, while there are obviously no guarantees (who would think that any course guarantees a pass anyway?) of course, Glen mentions that a recent session like this yielded a 93% pass rate so chances are pretty darn good.

Hey Marc! Not interested in the CPP thing but we will be in San Francisco the week before that. Maybe we can meet up for lunch or something.

Keith

Absolutely, and it would be soo cool if a few of our friends here on the forums who will be taking the course would fly in a few days early and go out for lunch well.

GregYager
08-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Very tempting! What's the weather usually like around that time?

Michael_Gan
08-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Prime time! When I do portraits on the beach, I am booked solid because of the perfect weather conditions, coupled with the sunset low tides.

GregYager
08-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Sounds like I need to check my schedule and make sure I don't have a wedding that weekend!

GregYager
08-25-2010, 04:05 AM
Pricing airfare and hotels now. Any suggestions on a nearby hotel?

Marc_Benjamin
08-25-2010, 04:08 AM
Pricing airfare and hotels now. Any suggestions on a nearby hotel?

Depends, are you looking for a SF boutique hotel experience or would the run of the mill HoJo type work?

Actually, If it was me (and I'm adventurous with hotels) I would Priceline $69 for a 3 or 4 star hotel in the Mission District (that's the area where class/exam will be) of SF.

Keith_A_Howe
08-25-2010, 04:14 AM
Don't forget, San Francisco hotel rates do not include parking your car. Expect to pay $45 a night to park in the hotel parking lot. I am not kidding.

Keith

Marc_Benjamin
08-25-2010, 04:16 AM
Don't forget, San Francisco hotel rates do not include parking your car. Expect to pay $45 a night to park in the hotel parking lot. I am not kidding.

Keith

Dude, I'm trying to sell a class here.

Actually it depends, some hotels outside of the Financial district offer free parking.

GregYager
08-25-2010, 04:24 AM
Thanks guys. We're adventurous with hotels as well so I'm gonna see what I can come up with in that area. Not looking to drive around much so we're thinking about getting close enough to walk/cab everywhere.

GregYager
08-25-2010, 04:29 AM
I just realized you can't look up hotels by districts(Mission District) Is that in the Mission Bay area?

Keith_A_Howe
08-25-2010, 04:36 AM
Dude, I'm trying to sell a class here.

Actually it depends, some hotels outside of the Financial district offer free parking.

I've never found one! We never stay in the financial district either. $35 is the least we have ever paid for parking. If you know of a decent place that has free parking, let me know because we still haven't booked our hotel for the San Francisco part of our vacation. Evan lives in Pacific Heights on Scott Street just off of California, so we like to be somewhat close to his place.

Keith

Marc_Benjamin
08-25-2010, 04:45 AM
I just realized you can't look up hotels by districts(Mission District) Is that in the Mission Bay area?

Ok, when it tried today (not sure if they realign the areas often) the closest Priceline name your price area's would be San Francisco Areas 1, 7, 11 and 10. If you don't intend to rent a car, I suggest tying for area 2 which is in the Financial district. If you're bringing a lady friend, I suggest trying to get something in area 10. This is where the shops are.

If you are not renting a car, stay away from anywhere close to the (SFO) airport.

As it is right now, the location can be reached by a short cab ride from anywhere in the city. I myself think that I can take the bus but I'm not that patient with schedules and connections.

I've never found one! We never stay in the financial district either. $35 is the least we have ever paid for parking. If you know of a decent place that has free parking, let me know because we still haven't booked our hotel for the San Francisco part of our vacation. Evan lives in Pacific Heights on Scott Street just off of California, so we like to be somewhat close to his place.

Keith

Most of the ones that say "inn" are likely to have free parking tough those tend to be in the lower 2 star area. If you guys are checking in on a weekday, most of the four stars and above have packages (if reserved direct) that include parking. Tip there are hidden local residents rates that are pretty good and Evan could do the reservation (have to call the actual hotel) for you. I once stayed at the Fairmont on a Friday for $160 with the parking included.

Ok, I found one, Hotel Kabuki (http://www.jdvhotels.com/specials/region/sanfrancisco#hotelkabuki) (which used to be the Hyatt Mikayo SF in J-town) is really close to Pac Heights, they're doing parking included starting at $129.

GregYager
08-25-2010, 04:52 AM
Yes I'm bringing a lady friend, my wife. She's a photographer as well and will be taking the class and test also. Looking to experience the city, shoot some awesome pictures and get some education/certification. Won't be doing much shopping. I was searching through Orbitz and there's just says things like .8 miles SW of SF etc... I'll try Priceline and see what I can find in area 2.

GregYager
08-25-2010, 05:14 AM
OK, found several in the Union Square area. Round trip from Nashville plus room for around $800(2 people). Would Union Square put us close enough?

Marc_Benjamin
08-25-2010, 05:19 AM
OK, found several in the Union Square area. Round trip from Nashville plus room for around $800(2 people). Would Union Square put us close enough?

It's close enough, so this means that you guys are not naming your own price then.

GregYager
08-25-2010, 05:26 AM
I'm sure we will but not locking anything in til next week. Got some schedule shuffling we need to do but it looks like we are gonna be able to pull it off. I'll let you know as soon as we have the schedule cleared. That price was for 2 round trip tickets from Nashville and 4 nights hotel.

GregYager
08-25-2010, 05:44 AM
OK, about this parking thing Keith brought up. We found out we can get 2 tickets, 4 night hotel stay and a car for around $800 if we stay about 12 miles south of downtown. Is there any free parking within walking distance of the class if we go this route?

Are ya feeling a bit like a travel agent yet dude?

Marc_Benjamin
08-25-2010, 08:16 AM
OK, about this parking thing Keith brought up. We found out we can get 2 tickets, 4 night hotel stay and a car for around $800 if we stay about 12 miles south of downtown. Is there any free parking within walking distance of the class if we go this route?

Are ya feeling a bit like a travel agent yet dude?

I really should take a commission from this.

Yes, there's free parking where the class/exam will be held.

You guys ready for dining selections?

GregYager
08-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Cindy(the wife) has a better idea. She said we should hitch hike to California, name our own price on the class, skip the hotel and crash at your pad. :D

Zack_Davis
08-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Oh man Marc, 2 days earlier and I would have been able to come! But I'm leaving to see the shuttle launch on the 29th!

Missy50
08-25-2010, 08:03 PM
This past weekend, in Atlanta, I stayed a few blocks from the Peachtree Center Towers (where PPA is headquartered). Last week I did a priceline bid on a room in zone 14. Got a Courtyard Mariotte Hotel w/free parking. Sunday they did not have a shuttle, so I had to drive 4-5 blocks (the hotel staff suggested I not walk...) I just drove and parked in a garage. The rest of the time they shuttled me to the towers every morning and picked me up. I saved a ton, especially when you add in parking. I probably paid for the CPP workshop with what I saved in Hotel and parking fees. I just added all that together. If I had a roomate, I would have saved more, but would not have been able to go to my room, read and study w/out distractions.

I learned about making bids on price line on this forum btw. :) Never used it before Imaging USA.

DianeDavis
08-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Dang it, that weekend is Hopland Passport weekend and I have to drive drunks (as well as be the official photographer).

Please do it again soon or (maybe?) move it to another weekend- you know you want to see me.

GregYager
08-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Looks like if you moved it to November you could add Zack and Diane.

Seems like John Mellencamp said something similar to that. :cool:

Marc_Benjamin
09-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Dang it, that weekend is Hopland Passport weekend and I have to drive drunks (as well as be the official photographer).

Please do it again soon or (maybe?) move it to another weekend- you know you want to see me.

I thought Hopland Passport ended on the 24th this year.

Anyways, PPGBA/Golden Gate School holds the exam at least once a year. There's always an active PPGBA member who volunteers to be a CPP liaison/proctor so if any of our members are ready to take the exam, the San Francisco group can put one together.

The class itself is a different story since it's hard to sponsor a prep course on an annual basis. The next class would probably be held sometime 2012/13.

Try to take advantage of this one, it's considerably cheaper for you vs say going to nationals to take the prep/exam.

Zack_Davis
09-24-2010, 06:58 PM
There's still space Marc? I'm considering doing it just so I can have a jump on my CPP. Just have to make sure I don't have a mid-term or anything sneaking up any of those days.

Marc_Benjamin
09-26-2010, 03:27 PM
There's still space Marc? I'm considering doing it just so I can have a jump on my CPP. Just have to make sure I don't have a mid-term or anything sneaking up any of those days.

Yep there is. Act soon cause the price goes up after the 29th.

http://www.ppgba.org/calendar/certification/

Your mom I think still has my lucky London (9th) book, use it!

DianeDavis
10-12-2010, 09:57 PM
You were right and I'm embarrassed about assuming.

And I lose out :(. That'll teach me to look at my calendar instead of guessing what it says.