PDA

View Full Version : New memeber and overwhelmed!

photopam
08-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi all! I am a new member and this Imaging stuff is overwhelming!
Any tips, etc for me? What to see when to get there, all that great stuff
Also, I will be needed a roommate as well.

Thanks!

I am excited! :)

Pam

Rick_Massarini
08-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Just be really careful when advertising for a roommate on this forum - Remember - you are not in a "members only" section, so you don't have any idea who is responding to you. It might be better if you at least know or meet in advance with whomever you decide to share a room with... but, then again, I might be just a bit paranoid or a little too overprotective of our members... If you know them, it's cool... If it's another first time poster... I'd be cautious... But that is just me...but I used to teach ladies self defense classes many years ago, and I live in New Orleans, so my perspective may be just a bit warped ... but then again, San Antonio is also not New Orleans...

Keith_A_Howe
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Wear comfortable shoes. The trade show is huge and you will be on your feet for hours. Take some cereal bars or some fruit. It's usually hard to find a quick, cheap or good healthy place to eat, especially for breakfast when you are in a hurry to get going. Take a point and shoot camera, you won't want to lug your real equipment around with you all day but there are things you might want a snapshot of to help you remember. Every booth in the trade show will want to load you up with printed materials. If it's something you are really interested in write a quick note on the front of the catologue before you toss it in your bag. When you get back to your room at night sort through the stuff and toss what you don't want right away. If you lug it all home it will be overwhelming and you will never remember what vendors you really were interested in. While the classes are good, allow yourself enough time to just wander through the trade show and print show which will be just as educational as attending a class. Sign up for the mentoring in the print show. Even if you are not interested in entering print competition right now ( but you should be!) it's still chance to get a one on one consult about your work with some of the most successful photographers in PPA. On the way home go over in your head the 3 or 4 key ideas you want to implement immediately. My first boss always told me "3 things in 3 days". He said if you try to implement more then three new things right away it will be overwhelming and if you don't do it within three days you never will. So we still try to do that even after 30 years in business. There will be way more then three ideas you want to use, but my point is prioritize the changes you want to make and then get started on it right away.

Have fun and look me up.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
08-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Pam, I just saw that you are from Texas. Will you be attending SWPPA convention in TX next month? If so be sure to introduce yourself, I am judging there. I will only be there Friday and Saturday.

Keith

Rick_Massarini
08-15-2010, 04:29 PM
What Keith said about bringing something to eat is important - it reminded me that at the last convention in San Antonio, there was only a single small snack bar in the Convention Center and the lines were very long.

Stephanie_Millner
08-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the 3-Things technique too. At the end of the class, during the wrap-up (usually during the "buy my stuff" part) I write 3 things+ from that class on the inside front cover of the notebook. (3 to 6, but no more, or you won't do em'!)

Might I also recommend... BYOCM (bring your own coffee maker!)

photopam
08-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Pam, I just saw that you are from Texas. Will you be attending SWPPA convention in TX next month? If so be sure to introduce yourself, I am judging there. I will only be there Friday and Saturday.

Keith

Keith, I will be at SWPPA! It will be my first time to attend that convention as well. Where/how might I find you?

Thank you for all the pointers! :)

photopam
08-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Thank you everyone for all the tips! I'll be sure to wear my sneakers and bring some snacks and lots of notebooks. :)
I like the 3 in 3 idea too. I'll have to give it a try.

ChontelleBrown
08-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Pretty much what everyone else said. :)

* I highly recommend the print mentoring. It is definitely one of the highlights for me.

* Print exhibition - so much inspiration there. Schedule time on several different days to browse.

* Choose your classes ahead of time. Don't go to someone just because they are a big name, choose content which you feel will be helpful. Don't be afraid to choose something outside your 'norm', it may help you grow new ideas.

* Don't feel as if you have to implement an idea just because someone is doing it. Listen and garner ideas to implement in your own way.

* I really like the smaller half sheet spiral notebooks. I use the Mead 5 star because they have pockets and are easy to carry around. Now is a great time to pick them up on sale.

* Take a bag to carry around the tradeshow. You'll need it for all the goodies...and yes, definitely cull through before you go home.

* Map out the vendors you know you want to visit. You will receive emails in the week or so prior with specials.

* Snacks, snacks and more snacks. Food is usually limited, not that great and expensive.

* Allow yourself time in the evening to process everything you've heard and seen during the day.

* Have fun and meet new people. :)

I hope you have a great experience.

Chontelle

George_Hawkins
08-16-2010, 01:35 AM
I have not looked recently, but often on line there is trade show "plan". I've printed in advance with notes of who I wanted to look at.

photopam
08-17-2010, 02:35 AM
Thanks again guys!
I'll look for the trade show plan. I have already printed out the class schedule and the vendors that are listed.

I am looking forward to meeting new people :)
:)

Brian_Dunn
08-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Set a budget limit. The vendors want you to sign up and buy something right now. Don't buy anything until you've scanned competing booths first. After $XXX, stop buying things!

For food, we found it invaluable to have an ice chest in the room with enough stuff to replace dinner if necessary. Some of those late night sessions can go past when convenient food has closed.

At some point, sleep and sanity become more important than one more session.

If they give you a room next to an outdoor park with a band stage which rattles your windows on the tenth floor next to a sports stadium which runs games after ten at night, DEMAND another room on the other side of the building!

mchumley
08-19-2010, 03:54 PM
We need another roommate. Pam Check your private messages.....

Peter_Finger
09-22-2010, 02:00 AM
I'm also a new member and a bit confused. All new members do get a free pass to the Imaging USA Convention, yes? If yes do I have to pick which classes I want to go to ( not the before convention stuff or Sepcon(??)) but for the Imaging USA classes?

Do these classes fill up on a first come first in basis?

Is a charge related for the classes?

Do they really start at 7:00AM??

Thanks

David_Capano
09-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey Pam,

Don't let scheduling rule your time at Imaging. IMHO the best part of Imaging is meeting new friends and catching up with old friends... so some of my absolute best Imaging experiences have been a result of a missed seminar! On the other hand, I've thoroughly enjoyed the seminars as well.

I do recommend the pre-convention classes if you can make it. Above all, don't take yourself or anything else too seriously, that way you can enjoy Imaging in the moment while you're there without worrying about what you might be missing etc... (The more you worry about missing something, the more you miss. ;))

Keith_A_Howe
09-22-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm also a new member and a bit confused. All new members do get a free pass to the Imaging USA Convention, yes? If yes do I have to pick which classes I want to go to ( not the before convention stuff or Sepcon(??)) but for the Imaging USA classes?

Do these classes fill up on a first come first in basis?

Is a charge related for the classes?

Do they really start at 7:00AM??

Thanks

There is not a charge for the regular convention classes. Mostly they are auditorium style so there isn't a question of filling up. But if you get there late to a popular speaker you might have to stand.
Yes they really do start at 7:00.

Keith

GregYager
09-22-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm also a new member and a bit confused. All new members do get a free pass to the Imaging USA Convention, yes?

I think what he's asking is does he have to pay anything to attend his first convention? I was wondering that as well.

I didn't see the offer for a years membership with the purchase of a convention buddy pass until after I joined. Either way is fine with me because my wife will be joining this week and we can go that route to get her membership.

sarahalbin
09-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Is it really worth the money to go?

Keith_A_Howe
09-29-2010, 06:07 PM

Yes, even if you just go to the trade show and the print show you will come home with more new information then you can possibly implement. There are always a lot of mini program in the trade show booths by some very high powered names.

Keith

RobertArt
09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
I can't wait to be there!!

David_Capano
10-02-2010, 06:18 AM

123456789... Yep.

studio220
10-19-2010, 01:56 AM
Hi all! I am a new member and this Imaging stuff is overwhelming!
Any tips, etc for me? What to see when to get there, all that great stuff
Also, I will be needed a roommate as well.

Thanks!

I am excited! :)

Pam

Hi Pam,
I am new too! Female, non-smoker, non-partier, but do like to have fun. Need sleep.
I need a roommate and to share a buddy pass.
Drop me an email:
studio220s@yahoo.com
my website is: www.lifeimagesstudio.com
Marlee Fitzgerald

Good luck!

Ed_Sharp
12-31-2013, 03:47 PM
I know this is an older thread, but it is full of good advice.

One thing I would ad is you may be in a class and it may seem like they are talking about something you already know and you start to feel like you "already know all this stuff", keep an open mind and don't bail on the class or zone out. The speakers often have to gear their lessons toward a wide audience with many experience levels, and may start out going over the basics that most people know. You may have to sit through half of a class that is reviewing "stuff you already know" before you get to the good stuff that is new to you.

Jim_Bolen
12-31-2013, 08:17 PM
This will be my first IUSA! On the way down, we're stopping at Zion N.P. for a few days, then off to Phoenix.
Can't wait!

Jayme__Benabides
01-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Hi Keith!
How exactly do you sign up for the mentoring in the print show, and what size/how many prints should I bring? I am excited about attending as it will be my first time as well.