PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait to submit images?

Tss1203
08-12-2010, 03:44 PM
so I've declared my candidacy and have been studying for the written exam. I got notification that there is an image review deadline for August 20th. Is it okay to just submit a portfolio whenever there is a chance? I'm aware that there will be many more opportunities, but I just figure it may be worth the experience to jump in feet first and see what I can learn :) So what is recommended?

Roger_Williams
08-12-2010, 04:12 PM
If your 20 images are top notch, yes go ahead as submit them. Your time frame for both the image review and the test doesn't start until one or the other is passed. If your images don't pass the first time, make sure you ask for a consultation on them. I did not pass the first image submission and the feedback really made the difference on the second submission (where I passed).

Tss1203
08-12-2010, 04:43 PM
That was my philosophy Roger. I'm really looking for the feedback, so I'm not even expecting to pass the first time. I guess I should submit w/the intention of passing, but I'd almost rather submit now and not pass to get the feedback so I'm really ready next time :) Sounds a little backwards, but it's making sense in my head.

Roger_Williams
08-12-2010, 06:13 PM
That was my philosophy Roger. I'm really looking for the feedback, so I'm not even expecting to pass the first time. I guess I should submit w/the intention of passing, but I'd almost rather submit now and not pass to get the feedback so I'm really ready next time :) Sounds a little backwards, but it's making sense in my head.

When you do submit, take the time to really explain each image, what you were doing and why you did it the way you did. Also, be very critical of yourself and apply everything you are learning from the book, rule of thirds, the type of lighting used, posing, etc. Also go through the comments in the CPP Image gallery.

Best of luck.
Roger

Missy50
08-12-2010, 07:04 PM
I am taking the written test later on this month. I still have not made my file of images. I guess I need to get busy.

Heather_L._Smith
08-13-2010, 12:10 AM
If you want to post a link, you can get some feedback prior to submission. And, just as a quick clarification, your 3-year window actually starts when you declare your candidacy, not when you pass the first thing (images or test).