PDA

View Full Version : Returned Competition Images

idyphoto
07-15-2010, 06:04 PM
I just received my images back from the competition and am disappointed that they weren't packed well and there are fingerprints/marks on them that were not on them when I sent them. I understand that volunteers take care of the images, but I am worried that the images were judged with the fingerprints/marks on them. I mean, how would I know? I'm not upset that nothing 'placed' in the comp because I know I still have a lot to learn, but I am disappointed that now I can't even hang the images because of the marks.

Keith_A_Howe
07-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Amy,

I judged this year and Holly worked print crew, so even though we may not have seen your specific prints, I literally saw thousands of prints and Holly literally handled thousands.

Anyone who touches a print wears print gloves. The print crew uses their gloves to wipe off every print as they place it in the turn table. If finger prints show up we as judges DO NOT count it against the print. I am 100% certain that any finger prints or marks that appeared on your prints did not affect your score in any way. Remember to be a judge you have to have a minimum of 25 print merits. So we have all had our prints go through national judging many many times and we are all very familar with the accidental marks that occur from shipping and print handling.

As far as using those prints as samples, I understand why you many want to use them, after all we assume you entered the work you were most proud of. And this same issue has come up on this forum dozens of times. Everyone who handles your prints treats them like they were their own. Every surface they set on is covered with soft cloth. The inside of the shipping crates are felt lined. But they still have to pass through something like 7 or 8 or more sets of hands from the time your case is opened in Lincoln until it comes back to you. Plus they get shipped first to Lincoln, then to wherever the judging is held, then back to Lincoln and then to you. You are not going to get perfect prints back. That's expecting too much. Consider the cost of your prints as part of your investment in your education. If you want to use them as samples then plan to order new prints.

Keith

Stephanie_Millner
07-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Keith - had a Q. about that (the merits I mean). I see there's a judging class at Imaging this year and it says attendees with 10 merits get PEC credit. Does this mean you're not a judge, or is it a different level? Just curious.

And as a side note: my dad got my case in (empty, woo hoo!) - so at least ONE of my cases has reappeared!

Keith_A_Howe
07-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Keith - had a Q. about that (the merits I mean). I see there's a judging class at Imaging this year and it says attendees with 10 merits get PEC credit. Does this mean you're not a judge, or is it a different level? Just curious.

Ok Steff - I checked with Ding to make sure I told you right. First off, I said it wrong. I knew this but I was thinking about something else when I typed 25. You have to have 18 exhibition merits to apply to be an approved juror. And Jim confirmed what I thought about the class. If you have 10 exhibition merits then the class will count toward the requirment to become a juror. If you have less then 10, you can still take the class but would have to repeat it again once you are ready to apply. The reasoning behind this is they don't want someone to apply as a juror and have taken the class several years in the past. Most people who attend the class are not approved judges. We have to take a refresher class once every three years that is also held at IUSA but that is seperate from the judging class. Occassionally PEC will recommend a juror take the whole class instead of just the refresher course if they feel it would be beneficial for that juror. Hope this answers your question.

Keith

Jeff_Dachowski
07-15-2010, 08:37 PM

And as a side note: my dad got my case in (empty, woo hoo!) - so at least ONE of my cases has reappeared!

Steph,
The process to be an Approved District Judge can be quite long. They allow you to take the class with 10 merits or more since you could possibly get all the requirements done before the two year deadline. Once you have taken the class you have to have achieved all the requirement within 24 months.

You need: Master of Photography Degree-
Judges workshop class
Reviews from a min of 5 Affiliated Jurors from 3 different
State Print comps
10 Prints of your best work
24( or 18) Print merits

You have to have all of this completed within two years.
Jeff