PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Get Certified?

Gregory_Aide
07-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Interested in working towards your Certified Professional Photographer (CPP) designation? Preparation is key, so take advantage of the following new resources this year:

PPA's intensive, three-day Certification Preparation Class (http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/../../education-events/cert-prep-class.php?utm_source=click_thru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ppatoday100706) (August 22-24, 2010) on the exam topics, Image Submission Review and more. Fees are $299, and the CPP Certification Exam will be offered August 24th.
Certify with Sandy Puc' (http://certify.sandypuctours.com/?utm_source=click_thru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ppatoday100706), a free motivational and support program developed by Sandy Puc, M.Photog.Cr., CPP, API to encourage other photographers to complete the certification process.

Make this the year you get certified—it's the crazy smart thing to do. Read more about these opportunities here (http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/../../ppa-today-blog/certification/are-you-certifiable.php?utm_source=click_thru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ppatoday100706).

Roger_Williams
07-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I took the Certification Preparation Class at Imaging this year and passed the test with ease (I did study on my own with "the book" for a year). I highly recommend this to anyone that is sitting on the fence, it is money/time well spent.:)

artsinfotos
07-28-2010, 01:53 PM
I took the Certification Preparation Class at Imaging this year and passed the test with ease (I did study on my own with "the book" for a year). I highly recommend this to anyone that is sitting on the fence, it is money/time well spent.:)
Hello...sorry for the question, but what is the "book "
thank you

Roger_Williams
07-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Photography (9th Edition) by London, Stone and Upton

You can find it here: http://www.certifiedphotographer.com/resources/cpp-resources/ then then under the heading Certified Professional Photographer Candidate Resources click on the Photography by London Book. Even if you never take the test, there is so much valuable information in that book it is worth the price.

Missy50
07-28-2010, 05:55 PM
And of course, I have the "magic book", all registered for the workshop and the test. :)

Roger_Williams
07-28-2010, 06:53 PM
And of course, I have the "magic book", all registered for the workshop and the test. :)

Good luck, but of course you are NOT going to need luck ;).

artsinfotos
07-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Thank you... I was thinking it was that book ( photography by London), but I was not 100% sure.... Thanks again

pete_rezac
07-30-2010, 08:49 PM
I agree with Roger. I took the class at Imaging this past year and Gary Meek is a wonderful instructor. You will be glad you took the class!

Good luck on your journey!

Pete

CindyShaver
08-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Can we take the test on the 24th if we don't take the prep class?

rkord4
08-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I took my certification in June and while I didn't pass my first time around, it really didn't seem that bad. I'm retaking it in Oct. and I know it will be a different test. But it really helped me tremendously to get the nerve to take it when I was really only 3/4 prepared.

I've studied photography for years but my common sense didn't kick in...I should have FULLY prepared before taking the test.

I'm really hoping that the PPA will take steps in marketing that a CPP is the way to go. Every client I talk to has never heard of a CPP but they have all heard of a CPA...that's how our industry should be noted.

I'm willing to do everything I can to learn everything about photography I can, but I'm guessing that clients still may not see the value. I know images speak for themselves but...

Thanks for listening, wish me luck in Oct.

Robyn Kord

Roger_Williams
08-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Can we take the test on the 24th if we don't take the prep class?

Cindy, I'm sure you can, the prep class is not required to take the test. You can call PPA to double check.

Good Luck

Angela_Mildon
08-13-2010, 04:03 AM
Does anyone know how often the certification prep class is offered? It only has the one date online (Aug. 22-24th), but I am wondering if it will be offered again in a few months.

Leweverling
08-13-2010, 06:32 AM
Hey Robyn great to see you here, you will pass it I know you can!

Christel
08-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Does anyone know how often the certification prep class is offered? It only has the one date online (Aug. 22-24th), but I am wondering if it will be offered again in a few months.

Angela,
The next CPP Preparation class will be held at Imaging USA in San Antonio, Texas. It's a three day pre-conference course - you can register for it (and Imaging USA too!) by going to http://imagingusa.org/registration/

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
Christel

GregYager
10-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Angela,
This is a late reply but I just noticed the post. There are actually several prep classes and tests offered prior to the one in San Antonio. There's one in San Francisco the end of this month. There's a thread on here about it if you want to check it out. I found a lot of them by looking at the testing dates then researching to see of a class was offered before. Turns out there are many. I'll be taking my test in Springfield, IL on Oct 24th. Good luck and I hope this helps.

lmphotosdesign
02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Hello All

I have recently declared my candidacy for CPP.
And I have a question about a resource book.
Would, "Success in Print Completion" by Patrick Rice be a helpful tool.

Thank you

Joe

Howard_Kier
02-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Everything you need to know is in the "Photography" by London, Et al. The other book might give you some further insights but I'm not sure it is worth the time or money.

Angela_Lawson
02-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Joe - As Howard stated, the book to study is "Photography" by London, Et al. I also own the book "Success in Print Competition", which will give you some insight into competing, but the judging for certification vs. competition is different. Certification judging makes sure that you are competent in Lighting, Posing, etc. and can do it on a consistant basis for a paid clientele. Competition judging follows The 12 Elements of Competition (which you can find on PPA's website, or are in fact, in the book by Rice).

Hope that helps clear things up a little. And congratulations on declaring your candidacy! Welcome to a great group here on the forum, where you can learn lots, and meet lots of new people.

Sincerely,
Angela Lawson CPP

P.S. Also there is another forum resource out there called Certify with Sandy that is helping people become certified. It's a great place for questions, discussion, and any other help you might need.

lmphotosdesign
02-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi Howard and Angela

Thank you both for your replies. I do have a copy of "Photography". I have also found the Certify with Sandy site. Down the road I am sure I will pick up a copy of the "Success in Print Competition". So again thank you both for your incites.

Thank you
Joe

danarm7
03-24-2011, 05:01 PM
I saw the answer to my question some time ago, but don't know where the old thread is. I tried to register with "Certify with Sandy" but was rejected. I read that it was simply a space issue/number of people?? And that there was a simple fix to this? Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Also my question is: what benefits are there to joining the "Certify with Sandy" group? Thanks!!

GregYager
03-24-2011, 05:44 PM
One major benefit to joining the Certify with Sandy group is the webinars they have available. They help you make sense out of the many subjects that are found on the test.

The number of people on the site is not an issue. She said the site will be up until 1,000 are certified. It has nothing to do with how many join. I can't remember all of the criteria but make sure you meet all of them without exception and try again. It's worth it.

heritage
03-24-2011, 11:14 PM
I saw the answer to my question some time ago, but don't know where the old thread is. I tried to register with "Certify with Sandy" but was rejected. I read that it was simply a space issue/number of people?? And that there was a simple fix to this? Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Also my question is: what benefits are there to joining the "Certify with Sandy" group? Thanks!!

The same thing happened to me. Reply to the email that rejected you. They sent a message right back explaining that their "spam filters sometimes work a little too well" and got me in right away.

And the benefits...learning a ton. I am a pretty good on-my-own studier (for lack of a better term) but having the forum and webinars seriously is priceless.

Good luck!

dpalme
06-11-2011, 06:47 AM
I joined the certify with sandy site but never was able to post in the forum at all

Still can't almost a year later

Canupp
06-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I joined the certify with sandy site but never was able to post in the forum at all

Still can't almost a year later

Have you tried contacting them since? That happened to me and I shot em an email - it was fixed asap. I find it interesting to go one there and look at the images other folks are posting and the critiques. Other than that, i havent really gotten much from it

GregYager
06-11-2011, 05:09 PM
After being overwhelmed with requests for help with certification(which to me is a good thing) I have started working on a proposal to get much better training resources right here on our site. I feel it's a bit absurd that we should have to resort to an outside source for our members to receive training that will bring them up to certification standards. If I get my way we'll have state of the art image galleries in which to critique candidates submissions and a team of liaisons dedicated to keeping that task up to date. I'm also hoping to bring about tutorials that teach all aspects of lighting as well as the fundamental knowledge necessary to be a professional photographer. There's no doubt that this is needed so hopefully we'll see these changes in the very near future.

dpalme
06-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Well if you can get that done Greg, more power to ya my friend. I mentioned that to the call center four or five times and so far nada.

Let me know if you need any help.

dpalme
06-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Melanie,
Yep, I have several times. I sent a final one today.

Mind you, I'm not complaining, just disappointed is all :) Then again, I'm more disappointed in the state of the insurance industry right now LOL

sphimages
10-28-2011, 04:14 AM
An interesting question came up in a photography group today. Does the testing process make provisions for a candidate with a learning disability such as Dyslexia or ADD when taking the written exam?
Thank you for any info you can provide!

GregYager
10-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Sue, I'm not aware of any such provisions but I'm sure a call to the PPCC would benefit a person in these circumstances. I'm not sure what solution they would come up with but I do believe they would try to accommodate the applicant to the best of their abilities within the guidelines of the certification process.

sphimages
10-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks Greg!

sphimages
10-31-2011, 09:52 PM
I sent an email asking what provisions are made for learning disabilities but no answer yet. I'll post the response when I receive it!

Joe_Galioto
10-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Susan, Really...
most of the photographers I know are add
maybe we should give a few extra points for photographers who are left handed!, would that make you happy Susan?

GregYager
11-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Susan, Really...
most of the photographers I know are add
maybe we should give a few extra points for photographers who are left handed!, would that make you happy Susan?

Gotta love that Jersey humor.

Joe_Galioto
11-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Greg
I don't think it's funny

Ed_Sharp
11-02-2011, 12:22 AM
When I took the test in Nashville at IUSA there was a guy directly in back of me who had a bad cold and about every 20 seconds he would have to sniff real hard. The way the tables were set up he was about 3 feet from my head. I don't know if I have a touch of ADD,OCD or ASG( Attention Span of A Gerbel), but it was so bad that I just had to get out of there after the first run through of the 100 questions. I passed the test, but it was a struggle to get through it and the questions were not that difficult (Except for the mathy ones:confused:).

dablan
11-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Happy to be newly certified. :)

GregYager
11-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Way to go Dan!!

Make sure you take advantage of the first benefit of your new title by submitting a press release to your local paper(s).

Janie_Montoya
01-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Awesome, Keep working on it.

I am planning to start the process myself. I wish the preperation classes were held in Houston though.

Good Luck!

Terrance_Michaels
01-27-2012, 03:38 PM
After being overwhelmed with requests for help with certification(which to me is a good thing) I have started working on a proposal to get much better training resources right here on our site. I feel it's a bit absurd that we should have to resort to an outside source for our members to receive training that will bring them up to certification standards. If I get my way we'll have state of the art image galleries in which to critique candidates submissions and a team of liaisons dedicated to keeping that task up to date. I'm also hoping to bring about tutorials that teach all aspects of lighting as well as the fundamental knowledge necessary to be a professional photographer. There's no doubt that this is needed so hopefully we'll see these changes in the very near future.
That would be nice.... hope Ya all hurry, I'm almost 55 and would like to experience this before I die.....T.

Rick_Massarini
01-27-2012, 09:29 PM
While Greg is working on getting better training resources, I'm trying to get interest up in certain circles to get a better book written as a CPP educational resource - one written by industry experts in their respective fields - that London book is horrible - it contains errors, and it's just kinda "OK" for teaching the mere basics to the uninititated, but as a benchmark textbook for professional knowledge, it's sadly lacking. It's looking like it's going to probably be a long term project...

MWatson
01-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Rick, I couldn't agree with you more. I was highly disappointed when I received my London book in the mail. The need for quality education in all aspects of photography, including certification could be made more attainable by PPA. Myself, I have greatly enjoyed the "Online Learning" pass. If PPA offered an Online Learning program geared just for certification, I think it would be very successful. If certification material could be downloaded to an ipad, the price of the London book would more than pay for a 6 month learning pass certification. PPA does offer free legal forms and copyright stuff. However, I think PPA could follow the direction of the online Apple store and offer ibooks, DVD's, legal forms and material, signs, tie clips, ect. Remember the days of old when Peterson Photographic offered the belt buckle? I wore that for years. Today, I would wear the PPA logo on a shirt with pride. In short, with all the talent in PPA, they could do this.

GregYager
01-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Rick, I couldn't agree with you more. I was highly disappointed when I received my London book in the mail. The need for quality education in all aspects of photography, including certification could be made more attainable by PPA. Myself, I have greatly enjoyed the "Online Learning" pass. If PPA offered an Online Learning program geared just for certification, I think it would be very successful. If certification material could be downloaded to an ipad, the price of the London book would more than pay for a 6 month learning pass certification. PPA does offer free legal forms and copyright stuff. However, I think PPA could follow the direction of the online Apple store and offer ibooks, DVD's, legal forms and material, signs, tie clips, ect. Remember the days of old when Peterson Photographic offered the belt buckle? I wore that for years. Today, I would wear the PPA logo on a shirt with pride. In short, with all the talent in PPA, they could do this.

I'm currently working to resolve this issue Jerry.

Robin_Hagan_
01-29-2012, 05:21 AM
Where's the "like" button? ;) I'm thrilled to hear this is being addressed!

ginagardner
05-22-2012, 07:57 PM
ok, I signed up, OH MY GOSH! Scared

pphtg123
05-25-2012, 10:52 AM
I just declared my intentions to gain my CPP through PPA. I have many questions but won't ask them all at the same time. Do I study (yes) for the test, take the test then submit images for judging? What are the image catagories for submission?

pphtg123
05-25-2012, 11:03 AM
I purchased that book so I could study for the CPP test not an inexpensive purchase I might add. I was shocked to see that much of the content is old and outdated. So now what? Can I still use the London book and feel confident it will help me prepare for the test? How close are we to having PPA material for test prep?

Amy_Hall
05-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Paul, you can either take the test or submit images first. Any order. I purchased the book used and that made it much more affordable. My study strategy has been to first read the chapters that I know I have the most learning to do. If something doesn't make sense, I ask a question here or I e-mail one of the very helpful more experienced people that have offered to help me. After reviewing the chapters where I knew the least (and making pertinent notes) I then went back and read the other chapters just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I just read a little bit each night for a few weeks. And now I'm just reviewing my notes until my test date. Good luck and congratulations on taking the first step!

Marie_M
05-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Congrats everyone! I'm hoping to declare early next year-I'd like to finish my NYIP studies before jumping into that. But I have asked my husband for the London book for my birthday!
I'm a little scared too, kinda like the fear one has when you are at the top of a roller coaster ride. LOL! Its been one heck of a journey so far and I'm enjoying it so much.

Rick_Massarini
05-26-2012, 01:36 AM
How close are we to having PPA material for test prep?
Unfortunately, not close at all...
The current "textbook" is that one by London and Upton. I'm not sure how Greg and the PPCC members are coming along with creating a better textbook, but within the circles that I am working, there isn't a whole lot of burning desire to put together a better book - but I'm still working on the project. PPA is separate from the PPCC, and it really does have to be completely separate. By the certification rules, there can be no true textbook from which the test is to be taken - but the London book has been recommended as a "good resource for information". I'm trying to get another group to put together a certification textbook, but getting the notably qualified people that I would like to have involved interested is not moving very quickly - as I've said, it'll be a long term project - so the London book is where you'll have to go for info for the time being.

pphtg123
05-26-2012, 03:55 PM
I guess that's what I'll do then. May as well utilize what I already have.

tpattyphoto
12-14-2012, 08:03 PM
On the test--is it all written? equal written and multiple choice? True/false?
I'm doing the quizzes and tests linked to the Certified photographer site but unsure if written is actually part of the test or not--seems you have to have the wording exact on that part of the test.

Vance_Wagener
12-16-2012, 09:04 AM
The written test is multiple choice and True/False. There is no essay.

Hope it helps and good luck on the test.

Stephan_Gee
12-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Hello, I just ordered Photography (9th Edition) by London, Stone and Upton a couple of days ago from Amazon and just realized a few moments ago that a 10th Edition has already been printed. Will the 9th Edition still be up to date and relevant for preparation of the CPP test? Thanks!

Stephan

Vance_Wagener
12-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I would say your OK with the 9th edition. The book is a pretty extensive reference and will be 99% the same as the 10th edition. Not much has changed the last year.

Have fun studying and good luck on your exam. If you have any other questions we'll be happy to help.

Michael_Gan
12-29-2012, 08:17 AM
The written test is multiple choice and True/False. There is no essay.

Hope it helps and good luck on the test.Just a slight correction. No True/False anymore.

Erin_Denny
01-09-2014, 02:26 AM
I have a question, to which I anticipate a non answer or a placebo answer...where can I find a schedule of the exam dates and locations? No, I do not want to declare (and pay the fee, and yes I am aware I have a year from the time I declare to pass). I prefer to make a decision on when to take the test and where, then decide when to declare and pay the requisite fees. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I am aware of the three test dates at IUSA. However, that is not an option for me this year as flight expenses exceed what I budget for ongoing training.

Erin

rforthofer
01-10-2014, 01:17 AM
Erin.
If you can't find a schedule online you might try contacting your area CPP liaison.
Russ

Anonymous_CPP_Upload
02-08-2014, 05:17 PM
I just submitted anonymous images in the certification gallery. Please rate them if you can.

Anonymous_CPP_Upload
05-19-2014, 09:02 PM
I just submitted anonymous images in the certification gallery. Please rate them if you can. Images are named cpp811-(01-15). Thanks!