PDA

View Full Version : Images for Certification... Quick

Mark_Katz
06-24-2010, 06:49 PM
I had never really intended on getting certified (certifiable maybe), but I took the test at the last minute on Tuesday, and now find the need to locate images. I've gone through many folders and narrowed it down to 34 images, which are located here: Mark Katz Possible CPP images (http://gallery.me.com/daveedo)

I need to narrow it down further to 20 images. If I can get some advice, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Stephanie_Millner
06-24-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm sure there are better people to answer this than me. I just know I found it frustrating when no one responded to my threads on this! So hopefully this is good info. :)

Yes:
89, 80 (retouch eyes), 71, 66 (beautiful!), 55,
54, 48, 45, 34 (looks very bright on my screen), 22
17, 12, 11, 9, 2 (make sure whites aren't blown out)

There are more you can stick in too, but the ones above should all be fine. Some of the studio ones that I didn't put are good, but the background is wrinkled or there's weird vignetting.

Hope that helps!

Mark_Katz
06-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks Steff.
This is a great help. 2 of the images that you chose (which I happen to like as well) are of the same subject. 9 and 11. They were taken about 5 weeks apart but were for the same event. Unfortunately the rules say that I can only use 1 of them. Do you have a preference?

Heather_L._Smith
06-24-2010, 09:15 PM
My two cents, Mark...

Yes
054 (though, would like to see the background toned down a bit by her legs)
017* I like this image, but it doesn't fit at all with any of the other subjects you've shown us. The judges could see this one image and think 'why didn't he show us any other commercial stuff?' For that reason alone, even though I think it's well done, I would NOT use it.

Other comments:
075 - I don't love this perspective - looks like too wide an angle lens, but not wide enough to be comical
080 - this one feels very candid/borderline snapshot, without great control of light
076 - the harsh shadow created by the edge of the book makes this a maybe for me
068 - good high key white, but the expressions from the dogs kills this one
034 - the wider angle on this one is not flattering to the people in the image
012 - Oh... This one was so close - posing is good, light is good, but all I see is that darn yellow jewelry!!
011 and 009 appear to be the same girl - if so, I'd use 011
003 - there are two things that jump out primarily in this image - first, the woman in the middle back row is not actually in the middle and is either shorter than the rest or is leaning in (it looks like she's leaning in), which really messes with the composition. Second, all the hands on the shoulders are actually a bit distracting - with all the black clothing, my eye is drawn directly to the largest part of all of those hands. Also, in the future, with a group like this where everyone is dressed alike, I'd place short sleeves in the back, and long sleeves in the front to create uniformity in the front and use bodies to hide the shorter sleeves - the lady in the front with the sleeveless draws a lot of attention because there's a lot of bare arm against that black fabric.
002 - couple of things on this image - first, there's a super bright patch of light on her hair, and second, this would be a much stronger image if your background were toned down quite a bit - a better balance between the light on her and the light on your background. It competes too much for attention.

Sorry.. I know that's a quick nutshell version, but I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Heather

KellyErin
06-24-2010, 09:31 PM
34, 66 and 71 all catch my eye

Mark_Katz
06-24-2010, 09:35 PM
My two cents, Mark...

017* I like this image, but it doesn't fit at all with any of the other subjects you've shown us. The judges could see this one image and think 'why didn't he show us any other commercial stuff?' For that reason alone, even though I think it's well done, I would NOT use it.

5% of my work is commercial. I need 1 image out of the 20 to represent it.

Other comments:
080 - this one feels very candid/borderline snapshot, without great control of light

Candid taken at the party. Flash was actually bounced off a wall to make the light more even. The client actually used this image for the cover of her album.

034 - the wider angle on this one is not flattering to the people in the image[/QUOTE]

But if you only saw WHERE I had to stand to get the image! Actually I have other images from better viewpoints. I'll use one of those.

012 - Oh... This one was so close - posing is good, light is good, but all I see is that darn yellow jewelry!!

Unfortunately, I'm partial to this shade of yellow. Especially when it comes in the form of a Ferrari or Lamborghini. :(

011 and 009 appear to be the same girl - if so, I'd use 011

They are.

003 - there are two things that jump out primarily in this image - first, ...

Sorry.. I know that's a quick nutshell version, but I hope it helps.

Sorry? Are you kidding me? This was a great help and I know that it wasn't "a quick nutshell version". It took time to write so I definitely appreciate it.

Stephanie_Millner
06-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Of the new ones: 125, 120 (resolution appears low on both of these)
121 and 123 are probably ok to use, but they're selective color... personally not a fan and I'm afraid the judges will question why you're submitting them. Now... if you had them in pure color or pure black and white (original files perhaps?) that would be a definite yes in my book.
Between 9 and 11, I prefer 11.

Heather_L._Smith
06-25-2010, 05:27 PM
5% of my work is commercial. I need 1 image out of the 20 to represent it.

Hmmm... only 5%? I would still be inclined to not include it at all.

Candid taken at the party. Flash was actually bounced off a wall to make the light more even. The client actually used this image for the cover of her album.

This is a great example of a situation where a client purchases something, loves an image, but it's not actually the best example of your work. I can see how the family would love this image, but for certification, I think you have better. Remember, certification is about using the very, very best of what you have... and just because a client buys it doesn't mean it's your very best :)

034 - the wider angle on this one is not flattering to the people in the image

But if you only saw WHERE I had to stand to get the image! Actually I have other images from better viewpoints. I'll use one of those.

Hahahaha... yes, but you can't explain that to the judges :)

Unfortunately, I'm partial to this shade of yellow. Especially when it comes in the form of a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Haha! Now, if it were actually ON a Ferrari or Lamborghini, then I'd say go for it!

Okay, on the new images, here are my thoughts:

125 - this one is probably okay - the flash seems a bit harsh (sharp shadows),
124 - cute girl and flattering pose, but there isn't a discernible lighting pattern on her face (appearing flat), and I personally find the light vignette a distraction to the image.
123 - I would love to see this in full color - I think it could work, but with the selective color
122 - there is a lot going on in this image. I assume you created the image she's standing next to? If you did - use that one.
121 - With the selective color, I'd say no. However, you already have an image very similar to this in full color with beautiful browns - I'd use that one and not a second one that's so similar.
120 - We've seen a number of these similar images in your gallery, and I think my biggest challenge with this type of image is that all of the children appear to be in mid-sentence, creating a challenging facial expression. Just like we wouldn't want to use an image of someone just about to put food in their mouth (like at a wedding reception, for example), I think we should stay away from images where the subject is speaking. These images are priceless to the family, but not for certification.

I know... picky, picky, picky :)

Stephanie_Millner
06-25-2010, 05:54 PM
120 - We've seen a number of these similar images in your gallery, and I think my biggest challenge with this type of image is that all of the children appear to be in mid-sentence, creating a challenging facial expression. Just like we wouldn't want to use an image of someone just about to put food in their mouth (like at a wedding reception, for example), I think we should stay away from images where the subject is speaking. These images are priceless to the family, but not for certification.

Yes, but for bar/bat mitzvah type of photography, they actually are supposed to be mid-sentence. They're reading from the Torah. If it were a wedding, it would be like photographing during someone saying the vows, instead of just standing there posed - action shots. I don't do Mitzvah Photography (had one though!), but this is exactly what the client is looking for. I get what you're saying, and if it were a posed portrait, I would totally agree with you.

Mark_Katz
06-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Thank you both for taking the time to review them all. I've uploaded the best, but I'm having a problem with image #11. It will not show up on the CPP website. All I get is a spinning wheel. I've tried re-saving, renaming, reloading. Nothing. Although the CPP site says the image is loaded, it will not appear. Should I just use #9 of the same girl?

Joe_Campanellie
06-25-2010, 07:48 PM
You've already gotten some detailed responses and suggestions. As a general comment I would be very careful about using the images that seem to have some "extreme" vignetting on them. A technique that's not used to much these days and when it is it's usually much more sutle.

Hope that helps some.