PDA

View Full Version : Details on earning degrees

TracyeGibson
06-24-2010, 04:21 PM
I really must say there isn't alot of detail on the 'specifics' of earning the degrees and it is like searching for a needle in a haystack. I just started competing 2 years ago and I finally contacted a friend who has been doing this for awhile to find out, since there isn't alot on the website. I know that for a Masters, or Master EI, you have to have 13 print merits in each and an additional 12 service merits for each. Craftsman is 13 speaking? and 12 service? I couldn't find any of this info on the website and had to ask. Fortunately, I am not shy so I had no problem with this but I do know alot of photographers hide behind their camera, and lack of ready info could be VERY discouraging to the more introverted. That is IF we want more people to enter print competitions and earn degrees (note the sarcasm;)).

Here are some of my questions:
#1:Can you use 'speaking' points towards your 'service' for another degree if you aren't going for Craftsman any time soon? (I know you won't be able to reuse them later)
#2: There is nothing about earning a gold bar for your Masters. I found out you have to have 25 additional merits to earn this. Are these print merits or service? If you have your Masters and are going for your Master EI, I assume you have to place the merits towards either Master EI or your bar and they can't go towards both? Do you have to have all three 'degrees' before you can earn towards your bar?
#3: The Imaging Excellence Award is for 13 loan prints. Can they be loans in both PO & EI or would that be 2 different 'Excellence"awards?

I am 2 print merits and 4 service from earning my Masters and just wondered what direction to head into next with future merits earned.

Thanks!

Keith_A_Howe
06-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Here are some of my questions:
#1:Can you use 'speaking' points towards your 'service' for another degree if you aren't going for Craftsman any time soon? (I know you won't be able to reuse them later)

The extra 12 merits can be any kind - they don't have to be service. So yes you can use speaking merits toward your Master's or you can use extra print merits over 13 if you have them.

#2: There is nothing about earning a gold bar for your Masters. I found out you have to have 25 additional merits to earn this. Are these print merits or service? If you have your Masters and are going for your Master EI, I assume you have to place the merits towards either Master EI or your bar and they can't go towards both? Do you have to have all three 'degrees' before you can earn towards your bar?

The gold bars are for 25 additional after your degree - in any combination of print/service/speaking merits. If you have a Master's and are working toward Craftsman - or vice versus obviously you would not want to use up any merits on a gold bar. Unless say you were working toward a masters and you had 37 speaking merits above and beyond what you used for your craftsmen. You would have 25 to use on a gold bar and still have the 12 "other" merits you would need for the Master's once you earned 13 print. No you do not have to have all three degrees before you get gold bars. Some people never speak or never enter but still earn gold bars toward which ever degree they do have.

#3: The Imaging Excellence Award is for 13 loan prints. Can they be loans in both PO & EI or would that be 2 different 'Excellence"awards?

Imaging Excellance can be any combination of loan prints. I earned mine with a combination of photographic open prints, art tech prints and EI prints. So no, there is not a seperate Imaging Excellance award for each degree. Once you get the Imaging Excellance award you can earn a gold bar with a diamond in it for an additional 13 loan - 26 total loan prints. It's a pretty small group that has that bar.

Keith

TracyeGibson
06-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Thank you soooo much Keith! I am going to write all of this down and share with my guild. I know we have newbies that are confused and have the feeling there are some old timers that don't know either! ;)

BTW, I am going to set my goal for the Imaging Excellence gold bar with the diamond!....guess I need to earn my Master's first but I just need 22 more loans!...ok...so it might take me awhile.....;)

kslonaker
07-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Wow, Tracye, LOVE your digital artwork!!!

Jeff_Dachowski
07-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Trayce,
Dont forget there is also a photo 50 bar for when you have 50 print merits.

I know you have specific questions that Keith answered, but most questions are covered here....http://www.ppa.com/findaphotographer/degrees.php

Jeff

TracyeGibson
08-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks Kim & Jeff!
Obviously it has been awhile since I checked back with the forum.

Hey Jeff, is the Photo 50 bar in addition to 'just' getting 25 more merits in whatever field?

Jeff_Dachowski
08-28-2010, 01:59 AM
Tracye
THe photo 50 bar is given when you get a total of 50 print merits.
Jeff

TracyeGibson
08-31-2010, 02:32 AM
Can it be a combo of EI and Masters prints?

Keith_A_Howe
08-31-2010, 04:59 AM
Can it be a combo of EI and Masters prints?

Yes

FWIW they don't give you a second 50 bar when you go over 100.

Keith

Marc_Benjamin
08-31-2010, 05:26 AM
Yes

Keith

I wonder if they'll start handing out world series of poker like Bracelets.

Better yet, Superbowl style Rings!

Rick_Massarini
08-31-2010, 05:38 AM
Yes

Keith

Maybe we need to lobby for a Photo100 bar - we do have quite a few members who have more than 100 print merits...

Zack_Davis
08-31-2010, 06:14 AM
Better yet, Superbowl style Rings!

Wonder Twin rings would be cooler! haha :p

Keith_A_Howe
08-31-2010, 01:46 PM
I'd like a Secret Decoder ring.

Keith

Joe_Campanellie
08-31-2010, 04:11 PM
That sounds cool...I'm in!

100 print merits...that's a pretty big accomplishment. Shows that someone has not only been competing for a fairly long time but that you have also been able to grow and change as time and styles dictate.

Keith_A_Howe
08-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Shows that someone has not only been competing for a fairly long time.

I think Joe just called me an old fart??????

Keith

GregYager
08-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Yes but he followed it with pretty words:)

TracyeGibson
08-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Haaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! And to think, this started with a post of 'earning degrees'.

Joe_Campanellie
08-31-2010, 06:24 PM
I did follow it with pretty words though like Greg pointed out. Heck...I know I'm an old fart too. Just been playing catch up for many years because I didn't discover PPA until fairly late in my career.

Marc_Benjamin
08-31-2010, 06:31 PM
No seriously, whoever hits 100+ print merits should really be given a free pass + lodging at the conventions. A sort of rebate for the last 30+ years of print case fees.

Rick_Massarini
08-31-2010, 06:50 PM
When you mention high numbers of print merits, I couldn't help but think about a friend who I just had down here for our state convention - Dave Swoboda - he has 157 print merits including 47 Loans. So what do they get for 150 - Do they have something for hitting the 50 Loan mark?

Christel
09-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Rick,

We do have something to celebrate those who have achieved this amazing status: the Imaging Excellence Award and the Imaging Excellence Bar.

Imaging Excellence Award
This award is presented to those who have achieved not only the Master of Photography degree, but have continued to excel in the International Print Competition. These individuals have placed 13 images in the renowned Loan Collection.

Imaging Excellence Bar
This bar is presented to those who have achieved not only the Master of Photography degree and the Imaging Excellence Award, but have continued to excel in the International Print Competition. These individuals have placed an additional 13 images in the renowned Loan Collection after receiving their Imaging Excellence Award.

Dave received his Imaging Excellence Award and a few bars as well! We have several of our PPA members who now have their Imaging Excellence Awards and bars and several will be receiving them this year at the Award & Degree ceremony.

Hope that helps!

Joe_Campanellie
09-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Dave was one of the first people who mentioned to me about trying for Fellowship a few years back. He does some amazing work. 47 loan prints is pretty incredible.

Until recently most of my work kind of slipped under the radar when it came to selection for loan. Probably just not enough impact. And the way I understand the process for loan selection the image really has to have that wow factor and good impact for the short amount of time the images are on the turntable.

Rick_Massarini
09-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Dave is an incredble guy. We had him down here last year to judge and do an early bird safari in the French Quarter. After last year's safari, I had so many people request that we bring him back for an encore that we brought him back again this year !

I knew about the Imaging Excellence Award and the bars, but I was just wondering if they had something super special for someone who had hit the 50 LOAN mark or the 150 merit mark? I guess it's 3 Photo50 bars and 3 Imaging Excellence bars ! that's still very impressive... But I've found that once those people get to that point, it stops being about what they can get for themselves, the awards no longer matter - it becomes all about what they can give to those they are teaching... it seems like those with the most awards on their ribbons are always among those who are the most giving.

Steven_Yahr
11-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Just looked up my merits and I have 5 print merits, 12 speaking merits and 42 service merits
do I only need one more speaking merit for my craftsmen?
as far as masters 7 more print merits ?
I too tried to find this info on the web site and can't anywhere ??

KirkDarling
11-15-2010, 03:30 AM
Stephen, check this page toward the bottom, post #57.

http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/showthread.php?t=20916&page=2

Steven_Yahr
11-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks Kirk
so if I understand this correctly I can use service merits toward my Craftsmen + my speaking merits
and not use the print merits which i would rather not so i can a some time use toward my masters?

KirkDarling
11-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks Kirk
so if I understand this correctly I can use service merits toward my Craftsmen + my speaking merits
and not use the print merits which i would rather not so i can a some time use toward my masters?

Yes. Any merits you use for a particular degree "uses them up," so if you can conserve print merits, that would be the thing to do.