PDA

View Full Version : PPA Certification

nolanc
06-15-2010, 03:12 AM
I have a question regarding the image submission aspect of the certification process.

I realize that the work is rated as a whole where some images may pass and some may fail. With the images that failing being able to be replaced.

I also know that the images submitted must be from 20 different paying clients and in a style that you would deliver to a client.

That aspect is fine however, I have a question regarding the 'style' of the work being submitted,
in that allot of the work that I do has a very heavy 'Annne Geddes' type theme to it.
I have seen nothing in the image submissions that has a similar trend.

Example:http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/nolanc69273/Photography%20by%20Nolan/minlily.jpg

Would this 'type' of work be acceptable, in that it is considerably photoshoped?

Thanks Nolan

Michael_Gan
06-15-2010, 03:56 AM
The style would be acceptable as long as you exhibit a good collection of images that reflect what you studied for in the written exam. That is, a good understanding of how the main light and the fill light interact with each other, color, composition, exposure, etc.

Photographers copy styles all the time. However, if you look at Gedde's work, you will see a delicateness in her lighting technique. Learn how she lights her subjects - which is much more complicated than you think.

For example, many are copying Sandy Puc's "Bellies and Babies" but you can definitely tell the difference between Sam's work, and those trying to copy what she does. This "quality" is what separates the photographers, and what is keeping some photographers from not passing their images.

Stephanie_Millner
06-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Yes, that type of work would be acceptable. The style, so long as it's obviously a consistent style, should not be a problem. The technical competency exhibited in the images is what the judges are looking for - professional lighting, posing, good photoshop merges, etc. FWIW, I passed my portrait endorsement with all pet images (I'm primarily a pet photog.)- so it's not the subject matter, as much as the technical expertise.

Does that answer your question?

Stephanie_Millner
06-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Oops, sorry - did not see this was an Ask The Experts thread - feel free to remove the prior post.

Angela_Lawson
06-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi Nolan.

I see that no one has answered you post, so hopefully this info will help alittle. I know that they will accept photoshopped images. However, with this type of work, everything has to be consistant. Your lighting between both images must show consistancy, as well as your shadows, and highlights. There can't be any artifacting seen either.

I'd have to say that this image would probably not be accepted, as you have a visible mainlight for the child, and an entirely different mainlight on the flower. This doesn't show consistancy between lighting of the child and flower, and would clearly show that it was 1) photoshopped and 2) that you might not know the fundamentals of lighting.

I offer this up from experience as I didn't pass my first round of image submissions, and it was mainly due to lighting issues.

I hope this helps, and hope that this might put your thread back up top, for others to offer any other thoughts.

Angela

Missy50
06-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Angela, I have a question. For you or anyone who has an answer. I have one image I might submit for CPP. It is outdoors w/studio lighting at a client's backyard. In the background there are a couple of pants that have browning on the leaves. For the client, I was going to photoshop them to look pristine. Would this be acceptable for the CPP as well? Or just leave it? The photo calls out sepia to me or hand tint.

Michael_Gan
06-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Missy, post it so we can see what you're talking about.

Missy50
06-19-2010, 01:13 AM
Michael, Do I need to post it under cpp for review? Not for submission.

nolanc
06-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Thank You Angela for your reply.
On your web page its nice to see some portraits in a similar style as to what I am doing allot of. I am learning little by little and thus will make improvements little by little.
I will keep in mind the lighting trends a bit more for images that I may combine, and had not really noticed it in this particular image.

I am sure you will see more stuff from me as I continue my journey towards certification.
Probably have more questions too.
Thanks again
Nolan

Michael_Gan
06-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Missy, just post it here. Not clear on your last message regarding "not for submission".

Heather_L._Smith
06-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Nolan -
Your 'style' can be anything. You can specialize in photographing upside down giraffes... that part doesn't matter. What DOES matter is that you can show a panel of judges that you know how to light your subject in a flattering way, you know how to CONTROL that light, you understand color harmony, and can create pleasing, technically proficient images. Every single one of my images has Photoshop work done to it, so it's not a matter of an image being "photoshopped" - it's, again, showing control, expertise, and proficiency.

Hope that helps.

Missy50
06-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Missy, just post it here. Not clear on your last message regarding "not for submission".

Sorry Michael, I was not clear. I meant did I need to post it anonymously... LOL!