PDA

View Full Version : International Image Comp

Keith_A_Howe
06-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Well I just had to post from the competition. The first day is done! On day one we were running 3 panels and there have been some incredible images. I wish everyone could be down here to witness the competition for themselves. We are using new judging software, like anything new there is a learning curve. In the long run it is going to make things stronger and probably even quicker to post results. Each judge is assigned an ipod that is used for scoring. It shows a small thumbnail and the title of the image that is being judged so the title is available to the judges (really helpful when you need to reference the title again or in the case of pronounciation problems). This also insures that the image that is up is the correct image that corresponds to the the makers ppa number, case number and image submitted (should be a major help with all the triple checking for accuracy at the end of the competition). I need to get going so until later . . . good luck to all and start thinking about images for your district competition. It will be here before you know it.
Keith

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for checking in - sounds like the ipod will help with organization. Keep checking in - this is exciting!

Lori_Clapp
06-15-2010, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the info Keith - sounds like a cool way to do it!

Keith_A_Howe
06-15-2010, 11:20 AM
There are 50 some judges here, 30 plus volunteers and some other staff people. Imagine if you had a business with almost 100 employees. . . and you got new computor equipment and software and tried to teach everyone how to use it in one day. That's what this new program has been like. It's going to be great in the long run but we all are newbies with the program right now, so it's slowing us down. Once everybody learns the ins and outs of the program and the equipment it is going to create huge membership benefits. But for this year, please be patient if results aren't up as quickly as they were past years.

Keith

Jeff_Dachowski
06-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Well, the good thing is it is the last day of judging right? Yay!!!
Jeff

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Well, the good thing is it is the last day of judging right? Yay!!!
Jeff

Wrong. Tomorrow is the last day. ;)

Jeff_Dachowski
06-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Wrong. Tomorrow is the last day. ;)
I thought the judging was Sun, Mon, Tues with a wrap up on Weds?
Jeff

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Sorry - I was just going off the info that judging was June 13-16 - didn't realize a wrap up day was part of the process - my apologies!

Lori_Clapp
06-16-2010, 04:43 AM
So how long does it usually take to get the results, so I can wait longer this year before I check?

Jackie_Haggerty
06-16-2010, 05:16 AM
Lori, that just means we have to wait a few more hours before the official "When will the results be posted?" thread has been started.

Keith_A_Howe
06-16-2010, 11:23 AM
We finsih judging today. Nothing is official yet. I don't even know how my stuff did and Holly and I are here, so you guys shouldn't feel bad! I would start looking for results next Monday or Tuesday with any kind of real expectations they might be there - oh heck who am I kidding! I would probably start looking tomorrow morning but not really expect them to be there till next week. Remember we have a whole new software program this year so while in the long run it will be faster, right now we are all still on a learning curve, so who knows how that will effect the results going up.

Keith

Joe_Campanellie
06-16-2010, 01:35 PM
And then when the results do get posted...I just stare at it for a few days before I get the nerve to actually open it and check the results...!

My wife asks me every year why I keep doing this to myself. After 19 years of PPA print competition you'd think I wouldn't get nervous about this anymore. Already has turned my hair gray...or was that the twins...I forget !

Cheri_MacCallum
06-16-2010, 11:04 PM
I did get to see just a little of the judging being that I took the judges class.I always love to watch print comp but it was really cool to see "history" being made with the new process. I was completely impressed by the computer guys writing code to fix the bugs right as they were happening.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-16-2010, 11:06 PM
I did get to see just a little of the judging being that I took the judges class.I always love to watch print comp but it was really cool to see "history" being made with the new process. I was completely impressed by the computer guys writing code to fix the bugs right as they were happening.

Totally green with envy. I worked a regional print comp a few months ago - I would love to work Internationals. Maybe next year.

Rose_Mary_Cheek
06-17-2010, 12:42 AM
well there are many of us anxiously awaiting results :) guess we will get an e-mail....

TracyeGibson
06-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? (Hee-hee!)

Don't have high hopes for my case this year (last year was my first to compete and though I did quite well then, I just wasn't in the mood this year) but STILL....I am like a kid waiting for Christmas! Even though I 'know' I probably only got the one merit and thats it. 'Hope springs eternal.' Haaa!

Keith_A_Howe
06-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Judging finished yesterday. The judges who were not leaving till today then helped the hard working print crew do final sort, final check and packing the crates. We finished up around 10 last night so it was a 14 hour day. Everyone is mentally and physically exhausted. In answer to the question on the top of everyone's mind - Yes, between Holly and myself we saw a lot of people's prints. NO I can't tell you any results. With the new system, in the future results should go up faster then ever, but because it is so new, give the tech guys a little space to make sure everything is right. I would start checking tomorrow but not really expect anything till Monday.
Keith

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Thank you, Keith.

Rose_Mary_Cheek
06-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks Keith.... whew, wiping my brow..... sure am anxious :)

Rick_Massarini
06-18-2010, 01:23 AM
I heard the same thing. The tech guys want to check that everything is right before posting the results, but with the new system where the results are entered into the computer by the Room Captain at the time of judging, I doubt that there will be any major data correction required. And yes, last night was indeed a long one...

Regarding results, I can say that I know that at least a couple of our forum members will be surprised in a good way, since I did notice a few names on the prints during the sorting processes (but way too many went by to actually remember all of them)... But, like Keith, I can't say anything until the results are posted - but I just want to be the first one to say congratulations! I'll fill in the names later !!!

Joe_Campanellie
06-18-2010, 01:49 AM
You guys just love to tease...!

Keith_A_Howe
06-18-2010, 02:11 AM
You guys just love to tease...!

Joe,

We called your doctor and he said the stress of waiting was just too much for you, so you need to hear your results for strictly medical reasons. For medical reasons only can we divulge results, so don't anybody else ask for this special consideration. Holly did see all of your prints somewhere in the sorting room, so we can say with some factual certainty, your prints did make it to Atlanta and did get judged. Glad I could relieve that unhealthy stress level for you.

Keith

Lori_Clapp
06-18-2010, 02:14 AM
Well Joe, you got more information out of Keith and Holly than I was able to get. They wouldn't even acknowledge seeing any of my prints!!

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-18-2010, 02:26 AM
Every time I see a new post to this thread I think that someone is saying the results are posted. Gah!

Joe_Campanellie
06-18-2010, 05:20 AM
Well...that's a relief. Especially after last year when my case went MIA with the post office. My doctor says no stress while recovering from this surgery. So...I'll just try to forget about it for the time being.

Hope your enjoying Florida. Daughter and grandaughter are there now visiting our twins and have had really good weather. Hope it stays the same for your wedding.

Sunshine_Sommers
06-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Oh Lord this is killing me

Lori_Clapp
06-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Someone wake me up if you find anything out :)

Jessica_Edwards
06-18-2010, 06:35 AM
This is totally a newbie question, but since this is my first year entering national print comp, where will the results be posted?

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-18-2010, 11:00 AM
This is totally a newbie question, but since this is my first year entering national print comp, where will the results be posted?

According to THIS (http://www.ppa.com/ppa-today-blog/competitions/international-judging-underway.php#more) PPA Blog post, the results will be posted HERE (http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international.php).

Heather_L._Smith
06-18-2010, 02:45 PM
I had the humbling opportunity to volunteer on print crew this year and it was remarkable. I went as a spectator last year and THAT was great... but this was a whole different world! It was amazing to see all of those phenomenal images and get inspired to be better and work harder. It was a lot of hard work, long days, and a lot of average cafeteria food, but it was amazing.

Rose_Mary_Cheek
06-22-2010, 02:02 AM
still waiting are we? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Rose_Mary_Cheek
06-22-2010, 02:03 AM
oh! my Achin' . . . . . .

Joe_Campanellie
06-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah...still waiting...and then once the results do get posted I wonder how long it will be before I open the file up !

Mark_Levesque
06-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Yeah...still waiting...and then once the results do get posted I wonder how long it will be before I open the file up !
You just going to wait until the congratulatory emails start coming in?

Richard_J._Carpenter
06-22-2010, 06:33 PM
KH,
You said in a earlier post, Once everybody learns the ins and outs of the program and the equipment it is going to create huge membership benefits.

I am curious what will be the huge membership benefits?

Rick Carpenter

Sunshine_Sommers
06-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Good Heavens what is Taking so long?

Sunshine PPA Certified, M.Photo., A.A.S.,A.A.B

and certifiable now....

Barbi_Barnum
06-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Waiting for Godot who evidently has the list.

Joe_Campanellie
06-22-2010, 07:43 PM
I can wait...it's still a lot more efficient than in the "old days". Then the results came by snail mail and took forever. There was no internet, no electronic posting of the results and we had to read the results by the one candle we had...

Joe_Campanellie
06-22-2010, 07:45 PM
You just going to wait until the congratulatory emails start coming in?

Well...last year would be impossible to top...or even come close to again. I'll just be happy with what ever happens.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-22-2010, 07:48 PM
O can wait...it's still a lot more efficient than in the "old days". Then the results came by snail mail and took forever. There was no internet, no electronic posting of the results and we had to read the results by the one candle we had...

Don't forget the part about walking 2 miles both ways up hill in 3 feet of snow to the mailbox every day to check for the results. ;)

Stephanie_Millner
06-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Don't forget the part about walking 2 miles both ways up hill in 3 feet of snow to the mailbox every day to check for the results. ;)

...uphill... BOTH WAYS!

Joe_Campanellie
06-22-2010, 09:15 PM
I used to use that line on my kids all the time. Didn't work so well since I lived in Florida as a kid for awhile. There was no uphill and there certainly wasn't any snow.

Sunshine_Sommers
06-22-2010, 10:03 PM
uggggg I truly hate waiting

Sunshine_Sommers
06-22-2010, 10:06 PM
who has that confounded LIST?

Rick_Massarini
06-22-2010, 10:17 PM
who has that confounded LIST?

I HAD the list for a few hours on Wednesday night

Sunshine_Sommers
06-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Why did you let go of it!

Sunshine_Sommers
06-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Hey Rick I have a twenty burning a hole in my skivies LOL

Rick_Massarini
06-22-2010, 10:35 PM
We checked the prints and then turned the list back over to Jim Dingwell. We go through the list looking at numbers and titles - so trying to remember one particular image is nearly impossible.

Tss1203
06-22-2010, 10:35 PM
so, nobody is going to comment about the results being posted? Or is everyone too busy looking?

No luck for me this year, but it's all good. Next time I won't wait until the last minute to decide to enter so I can better prepare ;)

Joe_Campanellie
06-22-2010, 10:41 PM
I heard the results are up...just don't know where to look...!

Tss1203
06-22-2010, 10:43 PM
http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international/results.php

Gregory_Aide
06-22-2010, 10:52 PM
The International Photographic Competition results are posted. You can download the List of Accepted Prints here (http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/../../competitions/international/results.php).

Mark_Levesque
06-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Only 3 loan, Joe. Quelle bummer. ;)

tnhillbillytoo
06-23-2010, 12:32 AM
My first year to enter. I'm stunned! One general, one showcase. ::thud::

Barbi_Barnum
06-23-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm doing the happy dance!!!

Christine_Walsh-Newton
06-23-2010, 12:51 AM
My first year as well: 4/4!!!!

Joe_Campanellie
06-23-2010, 01:17 AM
First year and 4/4...that's awesome. Congrats to everyone...!

Ron_Jackson
06-23-2010, 01:33 AM
Wow Stephanie Milner went 4 for 4 loan! You rock girl! Keith, another 4 for 4 loan! Well done! Congrats to all! I can't wait to get the critique to see what a judge had to say. A fun first year for me and exciting to see everyone did so well.

Keith_A_Howe
06-23-2010, 03:25 AM
Wow Stephanie Milner went 4 for 4 loan! You rock girl! Keith, another 4 for 4 loan!

Heather Smith and Holly were working crew on the loan panel that all 4 of Steff's images went through. Unless you have been at a national judging you cannot imagine what a huge fluke that is, that all four images would come through the same loan panel within a couple hours. Holly said she and Heather were about to have heart attacks. Three of Steff's prints just went loan swift and sweet with no discussion. The other one got challenged but after the challenger talked - Holly said the rest of the panel was pretty much just - yep, you're right lets just re-vote. Steff's images were that strong! Holly and I had a feeling about this way back before Steff's regionals when she let us look at what she was entering. We knew she was gonna rock. If you guys remember, her case got lost in shipping on the way to regional. So she had no seals and had to order new prints and a new case for nationals. She never got to see these actual prints before they were judged. This is an amazing accomplishment. I am proud to say I am her friend.

Ron - I did not go 4 for 4 loan. I went platinum in the open which is 3 loan and 1 general. In EI I got one loan.

I haven't looked at the results yet, we just got home. We went directly from Atlanta to Florida for a wedding. So I don't know who gets congratulations - but congrats if you do - you know who you are! LOL!

Keith

Ron_Jackson
06-23-2010, 04:01 AM
Keith that is a great accomplisment. You are so solid every year. Just amazing.

Joe_Campanellie
06-23-2010, 04:08 AM
Platinum ain't too bad Keith !

Haven't tried EI yet...I think if I try and go down that path and chase after another degree my wife just might dis-own me...!

Ron_Jackson
06-23-2010, 04:45 AM
So Joe does that also make you Platinum?

Rick_Massarini
06-23-2010, 07:00 AM

Hey Ron, I just looked at the results - you did pretty well yourself - one General and one Loan. Congratulations.

Erin_L._Clark
06-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Heather Smith and Holly were working crew on the loan panel that all 4 of Steff's images went through. Unless you have been at a national judging you cannot imagine what a huge fluke that is, that all four images would come through the same loan panel within a couple hours. Holly said she and Heather were about to have heart attacks. Three of Steff's prints just went loan swift and sweet with no discussion. The other one got challenged but after the challenger talked - Holly said the rest of the panel was pretty much just - yep, you're right lets just re-vote. Steff's images were that strong! Holly and I had a feeling about this way back before Steff's regionals when she let us look at what she was entering. We knew she was gonna rock. If you guys remember, her case got lost in shipping on the way to regional. So she had no seals and had to order new prints and a new case for nationals. She never got to see these actual prints before they were judged. This is an amazing accomplishment. I am proud to say I am her friend.

Keith

Fantastic!! Congrats to everyone! Esp. the ones I can call my friend! :) Proud to know you.

Marc_Benjamin
06-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Wow Stephanie Milner went 4 for 4 loan! You rock girl!

That is just amazing!

Just shows that the ourppa gang are indeed major players at the comp!

Ron_Jackson
06-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks Rick. I was happy to see that. Now I am anxious to see the critique. I entered my case in EI.

Joe_Campanellie
06-23-2010, 12:59 PM

Yes...another very good year for me...!

And some of my friends said my avian photography wasn't going to amount to anything. Oh well...

Stephanie_Millner
06-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Awww... thank you guys! *blush* I'm SOOOO excited. Couldn't look at the list - made Dave do it. Due to the time difference here, other people got to see it before I did, with cryptic emails like "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" (you know who you are.)

Keith & Holly - thank you thank you thank you for being such an inspiration, and I could go on and on, but let's leave it with: and also for naming the dog print!

Love my friends. Wish I could hug you guys, so settle for a virtual hug e bacci da Roma!
_____
A serendipitous story:

Like Keith said, I didn't see the prints, and I guess that was REAAAAAALLY lucky. PosteItaliane (the Italian "Post Office" - I use that term loosely) lost my case for regionals. It still hasn't shown up. Anywhere. Here's why: I got a print back and it had a post-processing smudge so I ordered a new one. But it took longer than expected to get the replacement from Bay (due to APO postage) so it was an over-night rush ship to PPSNYS - except, like I said - prints are gone now... Never made it to Regionals. (And don't even get me started on tracking a package using Italian websites... ) But, if they HAD gotten to Regionals and didn't seal, I probably would have changed the prints!

So I ordered a whole new set. But I wouldn't have had time to get them to Italy, check them, and then ship them back. So I BEGGED Bay Photo to use some extra love and care and to ship them to my dad, who put them in last year's print case, assembled the paperwork, and shipped off the case to Nationals.

Anyway, if it costs me $500 in print fees and lost cases and postage, and annoying my dad with over-night turn around prints and shipping, and all the other drama involving Italian civil service - WELL WORTH IT!

:)

Cassandra_Sullivan
06-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Anyway, if it costs me $500 in print fees and lost cases and postage, and annoying my dad with over-night turn around prints and shipping, and all the other drama involving Italian civil service - WELL WORTH IT!

Definitely a bargain for diamonds! ;)
I'm so happy for you Steff!

Cassandra_Sullivan
06-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I got my first print merit :)
It was a print that scored 77 at my state comp in Feb...I sent straight to National (no seal from affiliate judging) as a case filler. Go figure. I'll take it tho!

Joe_Campanellie
06-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Steff...congrats again. Must be something in losing your case. last year my case went MIA compliments of the post office. Never knew if they got there or not until all the prints were checked in.

Final result was diamond POY for me last year. So...maybe instead of hating our cases like Jeff suggests...maybe we should just lose them. Seems to be working...!

Keith_A_Howe
06-23-2010, 08:12 PM
So...maybe instead of hating our cases like Jeff suggests...!

FWIW, Jeff had 4 seals going in. His results show only three accepted entries but his 4th was sealed. Jim Dingwell is aware of the issue and islooking into it. So Jeff will recieve a POTY award - gold level I believe. Unless he hated his case so much he forgot to send that entry . . .

Keith

Louise_St_Romain
06-23-2010, 08:46 PM
I got my first print merit :)
It was a print that scored 77 at my state comp in Feb...I sent straight to National (no seal from affiliate judging) as a case filler. Go figure. I'll take it tho!

Congrats on your first print merit, Cassandra! may you get many more :)
One of my prints merited as well, I'm looking forward to seeing the critque on my entries.

Tss1203
06-24-2010, 07:03 PM
so, who's willing to share their great images?

Louise_St_Romain
06-24-2010, 08:08 PM
I'll share :) ... "Loves Me, Loves Me Not"
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs093.snc1/5128_95827794629_95714154629_1896348_4754919_n.jpg

Heather_L._Smith
06-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Oh, I remember that image, Louise! I saw it go around on the table! Congrats, my dear!

I would've been oh-so-happy to share my images this year, but we're chalking it up to a learning experience this time around. I think I got a little high on myself and thought I could just grab anything on my hard drive and turn it into a competition print, but that wasn't really the case. While I think I turned in solid prints, I went 0/4. But, I learned something very important.... while my images were good, solid images, they lacked IMPACT. And, let me tell you, I think that's probably one of the the MOST important of the 12 elements. If it doesn't have impact, there isn't anything to keep the judges looking longer - it becomes a ho-hum image that doesn't draw them in.

I've already started thinking about prints for next year.

Louise_St_Romain
06-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks Heather! :) If International stays in the Atlanta area, I am going to have to make an effort to be there (I have family in the area so it not like I'd have to pay for a room). It sounds like you picked up a bit even though you went 0/4.

I'm looking forward to seeing my critique so that I know what I can improve for next year.

Missy50
06-25-2010, 12:35 AM
Very pretty!

Again, congrats everyone! Looking forward to seeing more images!

Jackie_Haggerty
06-25-2010, 08:44 PM
I'll share! I chose my images this year based on the "those that need the least amount of time to work up" plan - I sent them in a cardboard box and at the last minute because I was WAY too close to the deadline.

I went 2/4 this year, but that was exactly what I needed to be eligible for my Master of Photography degree. Goal achieved! :)

'Earths Children'
http://www.studiojphotography.net/webimages/Earths_ChildrenWEB.jpg

'The Champion'
http://www.studiojphotography.net/webimages/The_ChampionWEB.jpg

Jackie_Haggerty
06-25-2010, 08:59 PM
I'll share :) ... "Loves Me, Loves Me Not"
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs093.snc1/5128_95827794629_95714154629_1896348_4754919_n.jpg

Love this one, Louise!

Tss1203
06-25-2010, 11:15 PM
beautiful images!

Congrats on your accomplishment Jackie!

Mark_Levesque
06-26-2010, 03:12 PM
I went 3/4. Here are my meriting entries:

My sealed image, from PPANE. "Record Pace"
http://www.studiomarkemile.com/images/Record_Pace.jpg

"Copydog", Showcase book (my first)
http://www.studiomarkemile.com/images/Copydog.jpg

"Inner Workings", Loan Collection (my first)
http://www.studiomarkemile.com/images/Inner_Workings.jpg

All in all, a reasonably successful competition, but I will be bothered by "the one that got away." I really wanted to put a new date on my window next to POTY. Maybe next year.

wberry
06-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi all, I got 3/4 with two loans and one general. My wife is giving me the I told you so over the print that didn't go. Guess I'll listen to her next year. I knew one was a loan, it had already given me the first shock at affiliate judging. It gave me the highest scoring print of my life, my first 100. Here are my prints that went, the first two went loan. Can't wait to see my print critique, anyone now when and how we will get those?

Joe_Campanellie
06-27-2010, 05:25 PM
I learned a long time ago to listen to my wife. When I don't it usually backfires on me and then I get the "I told you so".

Made that mistake at a recent annual competition and it cost me Photographer of the Year for highest print case. Next time...I listen. I should know by now with all the good advice she and the Emmerichs gave me for my Fellowship portfolio.

Linda_Gregory
06-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Waldo,

I understand you'll be emailed a link to download your critique when they get it ready. Time estimate is unknown but guessed at 2 weeks to a month.

Was GOOD to see you yesterday, will be getting the files ready for you soon. :)

Jessica_Edwards
06-28-2010, 07:51 AM
My first year to enter. I'm stunned! One general, one showcase. ::thud::

Congrats, Michelle! :D

tnhillbillytoo
07-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Congrats, Michelle! :D

Thanks, Jessica :)

Here are my entries...

"Nanny's Hands" went into the general collection
http://www.kindletheheart.com/comp/NannyHands1.jpg

"Let's make a break for it!" went into the showcase book (which is funny because it was scored 78 and challenged then changed to an 80 at regionals!)
http://www.kindletheheart.com/comp/makeabreak1.jpg

Can't wait to enter again next year!

Rick_Massarini
07-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Steff,
Today's PPA "Vital Signs" note is all about pet photography - I dropped Christel a note that she should contact you, considering you're probably the only Diamond PTY pet photographer out there... But somehow (an aside that has nothing to do with the images), I still don't get why people make pets out of rats ... But to anyone who can Loan a rat - twice - I doff my hat !!!

Stephanie_Millner
07-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Hey Rick - thanks. I just saw the Vital Signs in my email too. That's ok, Barbara B. does some mighty fine pet work. :) But thanks for the plug, nonetheless!

Rats are awesome pets! Samantha (the one in the glass) is what the owner calls "the rat ambassador" - even people scared of rats just love her! The owner, Andrea, was deployed to Iraq for a year, and just got home 2 weeks ago. She said Sam ran over to her, scurried up her arm and started licking her face! They're extremely smart animals - Sam is litter trained and comes to her name and can do a few tricks but I don't remember which ones. I would get a rat, but unfortunately they're illegal here... and Hailey's generally scared of anything that's smaller than her. (Bigger, she just loves. Go figure.)

Michele - just love that hand image!!!

Keith_A_Howe
07-02-2010, 12:49 AM
"Let's make a break for it!" went into the showcase book (which is funny because it was scored 78 and challenged then changed to an 80 at regionals!)

You never know! One of my loan prints this year scored an 80 at regionals. I had an album at regional score 88. It was judged in head to head as best of show. There were 3 100 scoring prints as well as many many in the 90's, yet I got best of show with an 88 over all those other higher scoring prints. I had a print score 96 last year at regionals and not go loan at national. So you just never know. Remember at regionals scores effect the results. You could have had a panel score it 80,80,80,80, 70 and ended up with the 78 average - no seal. But at national it's either yes or no so if 4 out of 6 ( 6 on panel at national - 5 at regional) say yes, it doesn't matter if the other two would have been at 60 - it would still merit.

Keith

Keith

Joe_Campanellie
07-02-2010, 05:12 AM
Let's see...last year I went Diamond with my birds. This year Steff does it with her pet portraits. Maybe there's something to this animal thing after all.

Rick_Massarini
07-02-2010, 07:23 AM
Let's see...last year I went Diamond with my birds. This year Steff does it with her pet portraits. Maybe there's something to this animal thing after all.

Hey Joe,
That's a GREAT idea... maybe Animals are what it's all about... Maybe God's animals and the natural Environment are what it's always been about...
Hmmm.. Let's see what kinds of indigenous animals are STILL down here in South Louisiana and the Gulf Coast...
Pelicans ... Nah... most of them are now oiled...
Egrets... Nah... same thing...
Porpoises... Nope...
Whales... Nah...
Ridley Sea Turtles... Not a chance... Not anymore...

So, while living in "The Pelican Sate", in order to photograph them now, I'll probably have to travel to Florida or Texas, where they've been moved and released, or elsewhere, because all of the rookeries have been oiled...

Hey, How about... "Cock-a-roaches" (reference to the movie "Scarface")... We've got a LOT of those down here right about now... If ya' know what I mean...

OK, sorry about the social commentary and the somewhat sarcastic sidetrack... Now... back to our regularly scheduled discussions...

I'll post my congratulations to the successful competitors in another post...

Keith_A_Howe
07-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey, How about... "Cock-a-roaches" (reference to the movie "Scarface")... We've got a LOT of those down here right about now... If ya' know what I mean...

Uhm Rick? About that speaking and judging for you the end of this month . . .

Keith

Rick_Massarini
07-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Uhm Rick? About that speaking and judging for you the end of this month . . .

Keith

I'm talking about the two-legged kind...