PDA

View Full Version : CPP Image Challenge

Roger_Williams
06-02-2010, 06:39 PM
I submitted images for the last review and was not successful. PPA offers a free consultation with a judge to discuss the problems with your images when you aren't successful. This was really a great thing and because of it, I'm sure this next set will be much better.

After this "learning" experience with the judge I now look at images differently.

So here is my challenge to the judges and any other experts. This will help everyone, especially those trying for the CPP. Using the May issue of Professional Photographer, list every image in the mag, including advertisements that WOULD pass the image submission and explain why each would pass. With the information you provide, everyone will better understand what is really required to produce the quality of images to be considered "Professional". Using the mag images, we will all have the same set of images to discuss.

Missy50
06-02-2010, 08:13 PM
This is a good idea Roger!

Betsy_Finn
06-02-2010, 08:17 PM
That sounds like a huge time commitment you are asking of the judges (and any other experts).

When someone posts an image on the forum... it is likewise there for all to see. It would probably be more beneficial to critique those working on their CPP, or ask the experts/masters to share an image that would meet criteria.

Missy50
06-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I stand corrected. After reading Betsy's post, I re-read Roger's post. Expert judges who are volunteering their time (which is busy judging nationals), running a business (and hopefully they are busy right now). I thought Roger meant it to be like an open discussion for those of us working on cpp and an expert chime in to tell us if we are correct or not.

Y'all know I don't like the bottoms of shoes, or anything 'chopped' off. And I am not classified as an 'expert'. I had a busy April and May and have not looked at the issues. Therefore am clueless as to what is in them.

Roger_Williams
06-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the comments but after talking to the judge and all the minor errors that took a bunch of my images out of the "professional" category I really did not think that there would be all that many images in the mag that would actually pass the CPP review. I thought of the ones that were really CPP worthy, we could learn a lot of what is good and by default, the rest of the images that are not up to the CPP standards, we could examine them to see why they are not up to CPP standards. I'm not dissing any ones work because as it was explained to me, there is a difference between sellable images and CPP quality images. I just thought that we have a collection of images that everyone had access to that could be discussed and only the judges could really provide the insight that is needed.

Maybe we could have them pick one or two that would pass and comment on them.