PDA

View Full Version : Monitor to be used for digital entry Print Competition 2011

distracted
06-02-2010, 05:02 PM
It was discussed at Mid East States that in 2011 participants would be able to enter print competition is a digital format. Can anyone elaborate on this fact and what monitors will be used to judge?

I believe it was mentioned that they would be NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Many blessings,
Beth E

Keith_A_Howe
06-03-2010, 03:46 AM
Yes, digital submissions are an option, starting this year for commercial and EI and next year for all catergories. It is some kind of NEC moniter, don't know which one for sure, but I do know that PPA/PEC will provide the equipment and a tech support person for the affiliate judgings which will be the new districts in 2011. If it is not an affiliate competition then of course the sponsoring organization is free to use whatever moniter they want. There will be a charge from PPA to use the equipment but my understanding is it will be minimal.

If you are talking about an affiliate judging I have also heard that PEC is going to highly reccomend that the districts chose judges who have judged at the international competition this year ( coming up in about 10 days). Those judges will be trained in judging digital submissions and working with the new equipment and system. FWIW I am judging at international this year and I would love to come judge at Mideast next year.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
06-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Keep in mind. How you choose to enter is how it will be displayed. If you like studying the images in the print show then enter prints. If you enter files they will be run on a monitor slide show style.
Keith

AndrewRodney
06-07-2010, 10:23 PM
IF it is a NEC2690 (or any similar wide gamut display), I sure hope who ever is controlling the viewing uses an application that supports ICC color management and instructs those sending in images to save them in Adobe RGB (1998) with an embedded profile. I’d also hope they know how to properly calibrate the unit with preferable the NEC SpectraView II software and the correct kind of Colorimeter for that kind of display.

Keith_A_Howe
06-07-2010, 10:53 PM
No, I think they will just wing it. . .

Do you think they just randomly picked some moniter out of the blue and said let's use this one? The people who developed this method of judging know what they are doing. They are experts in their field. I don't think you need to worry about this.

Keith

AndrewRodney
06-07-2010, 10:58 PM
No, I think they will just wing it. . .

Do you think they just randomly picked some moniter out of the blue and said let's use this one? The people who developed this method of judging know what they are doing. They are experts in their field. I don't think you need to worry about this.

Keith

Fine. You are aware of course that A: You can purchase this display with zero calibration software or hardware, OR with a matted colorimeter for its wide gamut properties and/or with its own software for calibration? B: its a wide gamut display that depending on the OS and software used to view the images, can make said images look butt awful. And you didn’t even know if this wide gamut NEC was or wasn’t on the list according to your post. Its “some kind of NEC”. The OP is the one who asked about a very specific high end, wide gamut display which can be quite problematic for viewing images when not used to its fullest.

Do I think someone randomly picked the display? Nope. I would certainly hope not. Do I know they purchased it fully when its available with several bundled options? I do not, do you? And you are correct, I don’t need to worry about it a lick.

Keith_A_Howe
06-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Andrew, your original post reads very defensive to me. It didn't come off as just asking questions. The tone I hear in my head when I read it was that you thought the committee who chose this moniter wouldn't know enough to consider all the stuff you asked about. I am not on PEC and no, I don't know exactly which moniter it is and no I can't respond to your doubts but I don't need to know. I am not in a position to need to know. I am an approved juror, not a tech support for affiliate competitions. What I do know is this. PEC have considered every question you asked, plus ones you will never think of. They have asked every question and worked out every foreseeable issue. I forwarded a link to this thread to Ron Nichols. I think he is in Atlanta at a board meeting this week but hopefully he will get my email and respond to your concerns. Ron is the expert on this topic.

My comment about you not needing to worry was not meant that you shouldn't care but that you should have faith in the caliber of the PEC to make sure it's done right. When people phrase their concerns with what PEC does as statements about what should be done, rather then as questions of how something will be handled, it reads as deragatory. So yes I was insulted by your first post because it suggested ignorance on the part of a group of people who work very hard for no money, no recognition and a lot of verbal bashing they don't deserve. I think very highly of PEC and of course I would come to the defense of people I admire.

Keith

AndrewRodney
06-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Well if you are offended, my apologies.

Still be nice if whoever is moderating would at least post my reply to yours above. As I said in what appears to be a censored post, there are many possible configurations with this NEC that affect its qualities and, as I fully admitted in the apparently censored post, you are correct, I don’t care. And FWIW, I have in the past been asked by your committee about display technology. I have just a tiny amount of expertise in this area. Again, if you are upset by my post, my sincerest apologies.

RonNichols
06-08-2010, 03:43 AM
First, yes, for the 2011 competition year you will be able to enter digital files or prints in all categories for the district and the international competition.

The monitors used will be NEC 3090-BK-SV

The PPA Board of Directors, the Photographic Exhibition Committee, a PEC Task Force and PPA staff has done much study and research on this project. We have consulted with many industry experts in an effort utilize today’s technology in a new and improved judging system all while insuring the integrity of the PPA Exhibition Merit. This has been evolving from nearly two years.

So, the short answers…

Yes, this NEC is wide gamut.
Yes, matted colorimeter
Yes, SpectraView II software
Yes, display software is designed to read embedded profiles
Yes, entrants were directed to embed profiles
Yes, specific processes are in place for proper calibration procedures

The equipment and procedures in place are the result of research, contact with industry experts, testing, more research and refinements. We will continue to refine the processes as technologies change. Andrew, I believe if you think back you’ll remember that you and I spent quite a while on the phone a year or so ago discussing the options and considerations, and, you also provided me with other resources and people to consult with.

I’m currently in Atlanta now working with the PPA technology staff in doing the final assembly, testing, calibrating and documenting procedures getting ready for next weeks judging. Although this year’s digital judging will only take place in the commercial, EI and album categories, the total process is getting an overhaul.

The traditional wired judging keypads are gone and iPod touch devices will reside in the judges hands. Scores are now auto calculated, logged and audit trails are created. Prints now bear barcodes and images appear are a verified prior to spinning on a turnstyle. Competition management will have up to the minute information fed from multiple judging rooms. Comments from the actual judging panel can now be captured and sent to critique rooms to provide members better information.

These changes are far beyond the ability to enter digital files. With this begins a new era in PPA photographic competition to better serve our members needs, embrace new technology and provide increased support to our district competitions.

It’s a very exciting time for PPA.

Keith_A_Howe
06-08-2010, 04:13 AM
Well if you are offended, my apologies.

Still be nice if whoever is moderating would at least post my reply to yours above. .

I would be one of the people who moderate this thread. When I responded the last time, I clicked your last post as approved to show up. For me it shows approved. I don't know why it's not showing up for you. I will try approving it again and see if it fixes it.

Joe_Campanellie
06-08-2010, 01:16 PM
And...you could just enter prints if you don't feel digital entries are for you. For me I will probably stay with entering prints. The exception to that being when I enter albums.

With this transition in technology I sure hope that more people will take advantage of such a great benefit. It definitely deals with a lot of the reasons I have heard over the years why people do not enter.