PDA

View Full Version : CPP Images- Challenge

Roger_Williams
06-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I submitted images for the last review and was not successful. PPA offers a free consultation with a judge to discuss the problems with your images when you aren't successful. This was really a great thing and because of it, I'm sure this next set will be accepted.

Short story on the submission instructions it says to submit the images as you would prepare them for the client, no heavy photoshop work. That is what I did and after talking to the judge, a lot of the problems were minor that a "little" PS would have fixed several of them.

After this "learning" experience with the judge I now look at images differently.

So here is my challenge to the judges and any other experts. This will help everyone, especially those trying for the CPP. Using the May issue of Professional Photographer, list every image in the mag, including advertisements that WOULD pass the image submission and explain why each would pass. With the information you provide, everyone will better understand what is really required of images to be considered "Professional".

samgardnermcr
06-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Roger, I like your idea for utilizing images already in all of our hands to discuss relevance to the CPP images submissions. Be sure to post this in the correct section of the forum under CPP categories. This area is for discussions regarding Print Competitions such as PPA District and PPA International image judging events.
I don't wan to confuse any readers between these events and CPP judging.Thanks, Sam

Keith_A_Howe
06-03-2010, 03:34 AM
Roger, It's a great idea but you certainly don't expect much do you? Do you have any idea how many hours of time that would take? It's an awful lot to ask from volunteers. As a general rule most any editorial image in the magazine would be acceptable for CPP submission. Can't say about the ads and I don't have time to go through them one by one.
Realistically for CPP, you want to show the range of what you can do. So even going through the magazine won't help with that. You can submit 20 incrediable images of different brides and grooms in 20 different locations, but if they all look like the same image, just swap out faces or swap out backgrounds, it's not going to pass.
Keith