PDA

View Full Version : silly ? about packing

Tss1203
05-12-2010, 05:32 PM
silly question, but I'm getting ready to send my prints in (I know, it's pretty late, but better late than never, right?) and I seriously have no idea how to pack them. I looked and can't find 'instructions' anywhere.

Does it matter what packing material I use? Do I just pack them however I feel is best in the case? I know, feel free to laugh ;)

Rick_Massarini
05-12-2010, 08:23 PM
The less packing the better. Some people get really carried away with packing their cases wrapping their prints individually (using a couple rolls of packing tape) and sealing them in plastic bags etc... While this is great in case your case gets caught in a flood, it's generally not necessary. I usually just place my prints inside of my old standard print case with a sheet of release paper between the prints and a 16x20 sheet of cardboard on each side and the paperwork on top and close up the case. It'll make it a lot easier on the volunteers who have to unpack and repack the thousands of cases they receive each year. Now if you're a Master and sending odd sized prints, I would add some tissue paper to fill the gaps so that the prints don't slide around in transit. I would advise taping your case together so it doesn't coma apart in shipping and taping the straps together so that they don't get caught in the rollers of the automated transfer machinery of the FedEx stations.

Also - remember that UPS now requires a cardboard overpack box for your print case, so if you send it UPS you'll have that to contend with while FedEx will accept your print case as is.

ChontelleBrown
05-12-2010, 10:29 PM
I highly suggest sending via Fedex. Last year I sent mine UPS and it was $49. This year I used my fedex account through PPA and it was less than $13. Big difference.

I actually use the foam sheets that come with the prints from the lab. I put one in between each print then a few extra on top and fill the extra space with airpak.

Chontelle

Tss1203
05-12-2010, 11:49 PM
thank you thank you! Exactly what I was looking for :)

We were about ready to over stuff, double bag & triple tape :) Okay, not really, but close, lol!