PDA

View Full Version : Reminder - Deadlines approaching fast

Rick_Massarini
04-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Just a little reminder for everyone...

The regular deadline for entries into the PPA International Competition is fast approaching. The regular deadline is this Friday, April 30. Entries must be received in Lincoln, NE by 5 PM - the entry fee is $95 plus an additional $35 if you want a critique of your images (I highly recommend the critique).

But if you're a procrastinator, there is also a late deadline and you can still enter up until May 21, but there is an extra fee for late entries received between April 30 and May 21. So you can save some cash by getting your case in before the end of the week.

Joe_Campanellie
04-27-2010, 04:57 PM
If you entered SEPPA you have a little extra time if you want to get something remade. There's a letter that came back with your case that gives you the instructions to avoid the late fees if you register your print case by May 13th and ship it to arrive in Lincoln, NE by May 14th.

I went ahead and shipped mine already. Replaced my problem print with something else. Will worry about fixing that image for next year and re-submitting it.

Roger_Williams
04-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Question. I've never submitted to the International competition, have merited at State but never sent them on. If you send then now (April) do they keep everything, including the case until after Imaging next year, assuming you merit on at least one print? How does that work?

Tss1203
04-27-2010, 07:09 PM
well, I guess that means I should probably decide whether I'm even going to enter, lol ;)

Rick_Massarini
04-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Question. I've never submitted to the International competition, have merited at State but never sent them on. If you send then now (April) do they keep everything, including the case until after Imaging next year, assuming you merit on at least one print? How does that work?

If you enter and any of your prints are accepted for exhibition, your print case will be kept until after the prints are exhibited at the convention in January in San Antonio. Your accepted and unaccepted prints will be returned to you in your print shipping case after the exhibition.

If you enter (and do very well) and all four of our prints are accepted into the Loan Collection, you will receive your empty print case back sometime after the judging - PPA will retain the Loan Collection prints for use at various exhibitions and send you back your empty case.

If you enter and none of your prints are accepted, then you will receive your prints back sometime after the judging - the timing on the return will depend on the PEC Administrator's (volunteer) print crew's time availability.

Hopefully, you will have a print accepted for exhibition, so don't count on getting your print case back until after the exhibition at the convention in January - no one enters expecting to get their print case back quickly - although everyone hope to get it returned quickly - but empty - meaning that that all four of them went Loan.

Another option, if you do not have a print case and do not care to have your prints returned to you after judging, you can just send them to the judging in any kind of shipping box and the prints will be judged and either retained for the Loan collection (if accepted into the Loan) or discarded after the exhibition if they were not accepted or exhibited in the General Exhibition. Some people choose this option since they do not wish to display anything less than a perfect print and don't want prints scratched prints from handling and shipping returned to them, so they would just prefer to have them discarded after the exhibition and just reprint them for studio display after the judging...

Roger_Williams
04-27-2010, 08:36 PM
If you enter and any of your prints are accepted for exhibition, your print case will be kept until after the prints are exhibited at the convention in January in San Antonio. ........

Thanks for the info. Are there really so many prints entered each year that it takes 9 months to judge them? From an uninformed position, it seams like the time they have the prints is excessive. How do they get judged, surely not like at the state level were the judges sit around a table and judge each print or if that is the case, maybe that is why it takes so long to judge everything.

Also, do you have any idea about how many prints are entered every year?

Thanks

Rick_Massarini
04-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info. Are there really so many prints entered each year that it takes 9 months to judge them?
It doesn't take 9 months to judge them. The actual judging takes place in June and it takes about 5 days to actually judge them. It's just the logistics of getting all those print cases opened, numbered, shipped, judged, exhibited, and returned that takes time. The 9 month lag is because the Judging is in June and the Convention is in January - the prints have to be stored for 6 months between the two...

From an uninformed position, it seams like the time they have the prints is excessive.
The prints that are accepted must be held for exhibition at the national convention, and since the judging is in June 2010 and the convention is not until January 2011, the prints must be stored from June until they can be exhibited at the convention in January. Now if none of your prints are accepted, then the VOLUNTEERS who help the PEC Administrator will probably get those full unaccepted cases returned to the makers sometime after the judging is over in order to spread the work out over time, but those entrants who have a print accepted will have to have their case held until after the accepted print is exhibited at the convention - which means the case will come back sometime after the national convention - but time must be allowed to ship the cases back to the PEC Administrator and for the cases to be checked, repacked, and shipped. - Remember - all this work is being done by volunteers.

How do they get judged, surely not like at the state level were the judges sit around a table and judge each print or if that is the case, maybe that is why it takes so long to judge everything.
The prints are judged at the national judging the same way that they are judged at a state or regional judging - the only difference is that they do not give numerical scores to the prints - there are only three scores - Non Merit, Merit General Collection or Merit Loan Collection (there's also the PPA Showcase album, but that is a sub-group of the General Exhibit).

Also, do you have any idea about how many prints are entered every year?
I don't know the exact number last year, but there are thousands of images submitted each year - enough so that it takes about 5 days for the judging to be completed after running 6 judging panels all day long - that's the equivalent of running one judging panel all day every day for a solid month with no days off. The National Judging is about 10 times as large as a typical Regional judging.

I'll post another note detailing the whole process for those who have never been there. I've been working at the National Judging for the last 15 years and will be there again this year. It is open to the membership to attend if they wish to do so - it's really a great educational opportunity to visit.

Lori_Clapp
04-28-2010, 04:13 AM
For my first time EVER I did NOT have to pay for overnight shipping on my case!!!! I am so excited!!

Stephanie_Millner
04-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Lori - me too! (Of course, my dad had to send my case, but still - this is improvement on my part!) Go us - we rock!

Lori_Clapp
04-29-2010, 12:00 AM
Steff, let's drink a toast to us at Nationals next year!! Provided, of course, that you are willing to make another 3 week adventure for 4 days of nationals!

Mary_Jo_Allen
04-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Just wondering...what are the dates of the judging?

Keith_A_Howe
04-29-2010, 04:01 AM
Lori and Steff,

I've got you both beat! For the last two years I have hand delivered my case to meet the deadline.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
04-29-2010, 04:02 AM
Just wondering...what are the dates of the judging?

June 13-16 in Atlanta. I only know because I am judging.

Keith

Stephanie_Millner
04-29-2010, 05:22 AM
Lori - I can, and I will! Margaritas again?
Keith - doesn't count when you have to be there! (But you can still come for Margaritas anyway!)

Keith_A_Howe
04-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Keith - doesn't count when you have to be there! (But you can still come for Margaritas anyway!)

Nope- judges have the same deadlines as everyone else. So I hand carried my case to Lincoln by the deadline. I didn't get to just take it with me to judging because that would have been too late.

Keith

Stephanie_Millner
04-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Assumed judges had to help with the case coordination at deadline too. Oops!

Rick_Massarini
05-20-2010, 05:12 AM
I just wanted to bring this up again as a last minute reminder...
The LATE deadline for print cases to be delivered to Jim Dingwell in Lincoln is 5 PM on Friday May 21 - that's TOMORROW - so if you haven't shipped your case, it's time to head to the FedEX overnight depot !!! (that is - unless you live in Nebraska and can hand deliver it to Jim ... )

Keith_A_Howe
05-21-2010, 02:56 AM
Sent mine off at 5:15 today. Last minute has always worked well for me in the past. What can I say, we all have our own methods. Some of us just hate our case and some of us wait till the last possible minute (Fedex closes at 5:30 so technically it was the last 15 minutes.) Rick buddy! Holly & I will see you in a few weeks. I bought Holly some decent gloves, so she wouldn't have to deal with those cheap ones.

Keith

Joe_Campanellie
05-21-2010, 04:04 AM
And I thought Mary Jean was the worlds worst procrastinator...! That sure is cuttin it close !

Rick_Massarini
05-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Keith,
I don't think that you'll win the award for the worst procrastinator. A mutual friend of ours (don't want to mention his name on the forum) called me this afternoon and he was still printing... he wins !!!

Keith_A_Howe
05-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Actually I sent in my PO case before the original deadline because I had 4 seals from regional. It was my EI case that was so late. Holly really pushed me to enter EI this year because for the last two years, I let life get in my way and didn't get an EI case done. So she really encouraged me to make it happen this year. I was just getting started on those prints when my father passed away. I could have used that as a very justifiable reason to not enter an EI case again this year. But I get disgusted with people who use "I don't have time" as an excuse for why they don't enter (when it's really some other reason like fear of failure). If I am gonna talk the talk, I'd better walk the walk, so I made it happen. I don't have high hopes, I think maybe there are two merits in the case if I get lucky. That's not case hating, that's a realistic opinion. But I did it and this year, that's what is the success, just participating. And that's what this whole long rant is about. If I can make it happen with the kind of year I've had then most everybody should be able to do it. Not having the time is not an acceptable excuse 99% of the time.

Keith

Heather_L._Smith
05-21-2010, 04:27 PM
I bought Holly some decent gloves, so she wouldn't have to deal with those cheap ones.

Oh, man... I didn't even THINK about that... got an email from Jim this morning that they had a slot on the crew open up, so I'll be there with gloves on this year! I was planning to go anyway, but now I get to be behind the scenes :) Keith - where did you get Holly's gloves from?

Tss1203
05-21-2010, 05:09 PM
I sent mine Monday and felt like I was really pushing it. At least I know I'm not alone!

I've always been a procrastinator and I figure there is not point in changing now :)

Joe_Campanellie
05-21-2010, 05:22 PM
My wife has been a procrastinator since the day I met her. I remember many a night staying up with her until all hours helping her finish an art project that was due the next day. Then all those years she worked as a fashion designer she wouldn't even think about starting her new line until she was under the gun.

She's always felt she does her best work when she is under pressure.

Keith_A_Howe
05-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Oh, man... I didn't even THINK about that... got an email from Jim this morning that they had a slot on the crew open up, so I'll be there with gloves on this year! I was planning to go anyway, but now I get to be behind the scenes :) Keith - where did you get Holly's gloves from?

They provide gloves but they are those real thin darkroom ones that the fingers poke through. For Holly they are always too short and too wide because she has long slender fingers. So you don't have to bring your own gloves but if you want better ones that are more comfortable, just get some white cotton dress gloves. This is where I ordered some for Holly.
http://www.theatricalshop.com/accessories/accessories_gloves.html

Tss1203
05-21-2010, 06:20 PM
My wife has been a procrastinator since the day I met her. I remember many a night staying up with her until all hours helping her finish an art project that was due the next day. Then all those years she worked as a fashion designer she wouldn't even think about starting her new line until she was under the gun.

She's always felt she does her best work when she is under pressure.

I feel the same way as your wife, Joe :) I tend to over analyze things and waiting til the last minute always forces me to make decisions.