PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Case

Jeff_Dachowski
04-19-2010, 11:07 PM
( Please use your best Ricardo Montalban voice please)

So....here we meet again. My case and I....my case that....I....hate!

Just thought you should know that I officially hate my case this year.

Jeff

Angela_Lawson
04-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Or how about Dr. Suess? That case and I, that case and I, oh how I hate that case and I? Would you like it here or there? No, I would not like it here or there, I would not like it anywhere. Would you like it with a mouse, would you like it in a house? In a box, with a fox, in the rain, on a train, etc., etc? I guess the ending will have to wait until you merit 4 for 4 again this year. I do, I do like my case! Oh thank you, thank you PPA!

Joe_Campanellie
04-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Well...I tried that for my SEPPA regional competition. I wasn't able to go to the convention in TN but "hating my case" as you suggested almost worked.

Thought I had a good shot at that Canon Award this year. First three prints were 88,88, and 89. My last print scored a 99 out of the box. Was challenged to a 100. One of the judges saw what he thought was banding and it ended up at 79...Ouch...!

Guess I didn't hate it enough...! Will have to work on that.

John_Metcalfe
04-20-2010, 04:26 AM
Jeff,

What about the other time you hated it? Was that unofficial?

btw, I like my case...

Jeff_Dachowski
04-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Jeff,

What about the other time you hated it? Was that unofficial?

btw, I like my case...
John,.
the other time was a bit of marketing, and was limited to just one case. now I have reached the point where I hate my EI case, my NHPPA case and my case for Nationals.

Ron_Jackson
04-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Jeff, how many cases are you sending to Nationals? Two? One EI and the one from NHPPA?

Jeff_Dachowski
04-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Jeff, how many cases are you sending to Nationals? Two? One EI and the one from NHPPA?

Ron,
I am sending an EI case to Nationals again this year. I am also sending my case from Regionals in Septemeber. NH will be a totally new set of images. Talk about a lot of cases!! Dont forget, my wife also has a case going to nationals, and a case going to NHPPA! We have lots of print cases!
Jeff

Ron_Jackson
04-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Well Mr. Moneybags, it's not a problem for someone of your astute talent and stature. I wish you the best of luck, but you probably don't need any luck. I only sent an EI case to Nationals. First time so we'll see what happens. I have no expectations. Just curious to get the video critique back to see what they say.

Joe_Campanellie
04-20-2010, 03:53 PM
MY wife wants me to quit entering for awhile. Take some time off. Says I get too stressed over this. After out PA convention I have to agree with her. That was stressful. Ready to upload a new book for printing and she somehow deleted all the images and we got to start all over again.

That was fun. Guess it was better the second time around since it scored a 100.

Can't even imagine trying to get that many cases ready and your wife's case too. You guys are glutens for punishment.

Jeff_Dachowski
04-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Ron,
The NH cases are free. The association does not charge its members to enter prints. When you recieve your critique, would you mind sharing the link with me so I can see it too? I am trying to learn everything I can about this category. I will share mine with you as well if you would like?

Joe, congrats on the 100. When did that happen? I saw your 3 for 4 result. 100 down to a 79??? Ouch. So glad i wasnt there to see that!!
Jeff

Ron_Jackson
04-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Jeff I would love to do that. I want to learn as much as possible so sharing critiques is a great way to learn. I'll bet I learn more from yours than you do from mine. Ha!

Joe, yes congrats on the 100 and like Jeff said, that coming down from 100 to 79 really sucks. One would think they would have at least tipped it to an 80 for a merit if it was that good to start with.

Joe_Campanellie
04-20-2010, 04:58 PM
The 100 was at our PA convention. My first 100! Was a book from one of my Alaska trips.

Barry Rankin was one of the speakers at PA and was a judge at SEPPA too. He told me about the 100 going to a 79. I thought he was kidding at first. That sure made me sick. That sure would have been sweet...two 100's on the same day and in different competitions.

Our expectations sure get a lot higher the longer we do this...don't they?

Ron_Jackson
04-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Joe, as a complete newbie to comp, I didn't know there was a catagory for books other than wedding albums. Can you enlighten me on this?

Joe_Campanellie
04-20-2010, 06:26 PM
With the increased popularity of photo or portrait books PPA changed the album category to include these a few years ago. The album category now includes event (weddings or other type social events and non event. The non event can be a traditional album or a printed book.

These books can be either a series of portraits as in baby's first year or other themed typed sessions. Or...what has become very popular are the books that feature fine art and nature photography. I think Jeff had one last year that did real well.

I get the impression from PPA that nature and scenic photography doesn't necessarily fit within PPA's image. But...if you look at the loan book or the print display it's pretty obvious there's quite a few very talented nature photographers among our ranks.

I think a lot of us got into photography that way. I know I did. Got away from my nature photography for many years and now seemed to have found my niche again. My friends say I have gone to the birds but...I'll take that as a compliment considering what I have managed to do with this found love of mine.

Ron_Jackson
04-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Joe I have seen some of your bird images and they are outstanding to say the least. I wasn't aware that these kinds of books had a place in the competition. I would love to see a book to get an idea of what one looks like from cover to cover. Now if they could just find a way to include extreme panoramics then I would be really excited. Of course trying to display one of my 2 foot by 65 foot images would be interesting much less seeing that in a multi-page fold out in a loan book. Ha!

Jeff_Dachowski
04-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Ron,
GO find my case hating thread from sept or so. There is a slideshow to two albums I produced. One was a landscape album i made with carolle, and one was a landscape album that scored 100.
Jeff

Ron_Jackson
04-20-2010, 07:10 PM
So Jeff, you did better without Carolle? Is she "helping" you again this year or are you going solo with your stuff to try for higher scores? Okay Carolle, I'm just kidding. I guess Keith was right, you are a better landscape photographer than you are at portraits. :) I will go find that thread now. Thanks for the info.

Ron_Jackson
04-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Found it. Here is a link to the show in case anyone else wants to view it. Very nice. Easy to see why the scores were what they were. ttp://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow?fl=3132665&alb=0

Now do you submit these for competition in digital form as what I just viewed or in an actual printed book?

Joe_Campanellie
04-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Ron...last year was the first time I tried entering a book. I entered the "printed" version at SEPPA and it didn't do that great.

I talked to some of the judges who were on the panel and they suggested to make into a digital submission so that the printing would not be an issue. As it turned out it went loan.

As far as albums go you have a choice whether you want to submit as a traditional printed book or album or to submit it digitally. Just so much more cost effective to submit digitally.

Ron_Jackson
04-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks Joe. I love this idea. I love doing books so now I have to find a theme and I have one that's been running around my head for a long time.

Jeff_Dachowski
04-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Lets try to keep the "chatter" down ok? This is the thread where you are all suposed to tel me that it will be ok. Dont you know how this works yet?
Jeff

Ron_Jackson
04-20-2010, 10:49 PM
oops. Sorry Jeff. It will be okay. Just another four for four x two so twice Diamond right?

Rick_Massarini
04-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Since Jeff hates his case so much, maybe we can all get together and have a group hope that something nice happens to make Jeff a little happier this year - like maybe FedEx will lose it in transit so that he won't have it to hate next year...

Joe_Campanellie
04-21-2010, 03:34 AM
Sorry Jeff...forgot myself for a minute there. Not sure I would wish losin his case. That happened to me last year compliments of the post office. That was very nerve racking. Nothing like trying to talk to a customer service person at the post office.

Good thing it turned up considering how things went for me last year. The way I look at it this year there is no way to top last year so anything that happens will be a blessing.

Almost forgot...I'll hate your case... or rather all of Jeff and his wife's cases.

Rick_Massarini
04-21-2010, 04:21 AM
I'm sure Jeff knows that I'm just jokin with him... but it would get rid of that case that he hates so much and make him buy a new one... And remember everyone, this IS Jeff's sarcasim thread...

Jeff_Dachowski
04-21-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm sure Jeff knows that I'm just jokin with him... but it would get rid of that case that he hates so much and make him buy a new one... And remember everyone, this IS Jeff's sarcasim thread...

Rick,
I know your joking!! Sarcasim? Me?

Jeff

Joe_Campanellie
04-21-2010, 12:38 PM
My wife told me I should buy one of those new fancy cases. But, I'm too superstitous about this case I have. It has pretty good Karma so I guess I'll hang onto it.

Angela_Lawson
04-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Well, at least I know how to appropriately keep the thread sarcastic, but I've been gone for the last two days to a seminar, so I missed all the chatter inbetween. I must say I'm surprised that no one commented on my Dr. Suess reference. I know you all have kids, AND know who Dr. Suess is, and probably can recite Green Eggs and Ham by heart, as I can. Let's all chant together...I hate my case, I hate my case, oh, how I hate my case, in our very best sounding Green Eggs and Ham voices.

Sorry Jeff, but it was National Dr. Suess month at my son's preschool (2 months ago, I think), and so everything sounds like Dr. Suess to me right now. :)

Angela

Jeff_Dachowski
04-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Well, at least I know how to appropriately keep the thread sarcastic, but I've been gone for the last two days to a seminar, so I missed all the chatter inbetween. I must say I'm surprised that no one commented on my Dr. Suess reference. I know you all have kids, AND know who Dr. Suess is, and probably can recite Green Eggs and Ham by heart, as I can. Let's all chant together...I hate my case, I hate my case, oh, how I hate my case, in our very best sounding Green Eggs and Ham voices.

Sorry Jeff, but it was National Dr. Suess month at my son's preschool (2 months ago, I think), and so everything sounds like Dr. Suess to me right now. :)

Angela
Angela,
The "chatter" had nothing to do with your post at all! It had to do with Ron and Joe actually trying to carry on a good conversation in my misery related thread!! How dare they?
Are you sending in a case this year?
Jeff

Angela_Lawson
04-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Angela,
Are you sending in a case this year?
Jeff

I really wanted to, but the images I had some hopes for, I asked Keith and Sam about, and there was always something that would have kept me out of the merit category. And because of all the surgeries last year, I don't have much fresh stuff to cull from. (Most of what I have previous to getting my certification two years ago isn't worth much competition wise). And I'm really trying to focus on sending in client work. So it looks like I'll have to wait for next year. :(

Angela

Jeff_Dachowski
04-27-2010, 03:17 AM
Hi Folks,
here is the results from NH. You all wonder why I hated my case...

My scores....77, 80, 79, 78, 81.

Carolles Scores.....80,85,90,87,80

Carolle was tied for Photographer of the year, and the tie breaker went to Steve Bedell, who beat her by 1 point!! Congrats to Steve and Carolle. They both had great timages.

The awards were tonight, and we did ok...

Carolle-
Best of show
5 for 5
Portrait Court of Honor,
Illustrative Court of Honor,
Kodak gallery Award- Portrait

I had a couple of awards as well.

It was an emotional day, and I am so proud of her!!!

Jeff

Ron_Jackson
04-27-2010, 03:28 AM
Wow! Great scores! Congrats to you both but Carrole really rocks!

Mark_Levesque
04-27-2010, 04:01 AM
That girl is a force to be reckoned with! Congrats to Jeff and Carolle for another incredible hardware haul! And prayers that Carolle will be released from the hospital soon, and mend up quickly.

Missy50
04-27-2010, 05:07 AM
Congrats to you both! And maybe when she is not looking, swap cases with her. Maybe she will not notice the difference. ;)

Rick_Massarini
04-27-2010, 05:36 AM
Ya know, we’ve all been light-heartedly chiding Jeff about him hating his case, but in reality, Jeff’s case hating actually teaches all of us a HUGE lesson, if you think about it.

The best thing that you can do for yourself is to hate your work - how’s that for twisted logic?

Think about it… If I’m in love with my work, then I think that it’s just about as good as it could possibly get, so why would I try to make any changes that could improve them, because they’re so darn good that they couldn’t possibly be improved…right?

But if I hate my work, and I think that my best work is absolute garbage, then I’ll do everything that I can possibly do to get it out of the can and make it good enough to hang on a wall - or at the national convention…

So if you hate your case, and you’re not at all satisfied with what is in the box when it went out the door, then you may be pleasantly surprised when a panel of jurors tell you that your work isn't all that bad, that they‘re sending you back an empty case and a Diamond…

But if you love your case, and you think that all of your entries are just fabulous, then when all of your prints come back to you a month after the judging all non accepted, you’ll go away thinking…“Those stupid judges, what do they know? These are just gorgeous images, and they should have hung them all, don’t they see what I see in them?” The answer is yes, they saw them, and they saw LESS in them than you did, and that’s why they didn’t hang them… because you were looking at them with loving eyes instead of critical eyes… (note - I’m not knocking judges, I’ve worked at the national judging for 15 years now and just took the judges workshop in Nashville, so now I’m what they call a “juror in training” - by the way - it‘s a great class).

So Jeff is teaching everyone a great lesson - HATE YOUR CASE - always believe that your work really stinks, and you’ll drastically improve…

Just as a side note - the best in the world feel that way - I just had a friend of mine - a well respected Master with a lot of gold bars on his ribbon - send me (of all people?) his images for my comments late last week - because he hated his images - and they’ll all probably go Loan - but that’s why they probably will - because he hated them…
Twisted logic ??? I think not !!!

By the way, I just shipped my case off to Lincoln today - and I hate it too - let’s see if that helps - I doubt it - but hey, I’ll try anything… It works for Jeff…

Joe_Campanellie
04-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Jeff...congrats on yours and your wife's awards. Sounds like she had a big night. Hope she gets out of the hospital soon.

Rick is right. My wife is always giving me heck because I am such a critic of my own work. I am always looking for ways to improve and to try things because I am so unhappy with my work. My nature work is a result of my frustration with my portraits. Just felt I was getting stale so I was looking for new avenues to explore.

Believe me...when I sent my case in last year I wasn't feelin the love. I was very frustrated after SEPPA and didn't know what I was going to put in that case. I thought I had a couple of decent images but I never dreamed that case would go Diamond.

Some friends and I are always exchanging images trying to get some good honest crtiques from each other. MY wife has always been good at being able to look at my work and see things that I can't and being very subjective. She picked out an image for me this year for SEPPA and PA that I didn't like. It scored an 89 at SEPPA and a Gallery Award. Just goes to show you how important a fresh pair of eyes are when trying to evaluate your work.

And by the time I sent my ASP Fellowship case in I can honestly say I really hated that case and felt I didn't have a prayer. IF it wasn't for my wife's constant support on that project it would have never made it to the judging.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
05-01-2010, 01:57 AM
Hey I'm glad you hated my case so much because I walked away with BEST OF SHOW and the FUJI MASTERPIECE award along with many other goodies including two first places and the cpp print comp award!

Alvaro_Balderas
05-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Congrats Cindy on your great achievement.....

Mark_Levesque
05-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Major congrats, Cindi! You are really stepping up your work, and it is paying off!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
05-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks guys! It was a very good feeling to get those and before I got back to our hotel room I was already thanking everyone who hated my case, lol...

Ron_Jackson
05-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Cindi you rock girl! Well done!

Angela_Lawson
05-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Way to go Cindi!! Woot, woot!!! Here's to hoping I can do that some day too!!!

Missy50
05-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Congrats Cindi! WTG!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
05-05-2010, 03:21 AM
Thanks again! It's actually still sinking in that I won the fuji award... Hating my case really did help... and so did setting up the proper lighting to view my prints before entering them! We do all of our own printing and so getting those awards also meant that we did an award winning job in printing too :-)

Jeff_Dachowski
05-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Cindi, That is pretty awesome!!! Congratulations! Now....get back to work!
jeff

Joe_Campanellie
05-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Congrats Cindi...now it's on to planning for next year...