PDA

View Full Version : First timer

pete_rezac
04-15-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm planning on entering my first case this year, and have not been through this process. We do not have a local affliate in Northern Nevada so no local competitions to participate in. This being said I'm jumping in both feet this year. Would appreciate CC on the attached potential case candidates. I'm also trying to narrow down to 4.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Pete

samgardnermcr
04-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Pete, First of all, let me congratulate you on starting the journey of entering prints for professional critique! You will continue to learn over the lifetime of participating.
Second, There are numerous state and higher level judgings within a reasonable traveling distance:
Boise Idaho approx March
Salt Lake City April 25th,
Yakima WA March 25,26 2011 - PPA Western States Regional/District

Nearly all state and District PPA judging events are open to the public for free. I highly encourage you to attend some of these. Listening to a day of the process is amazing and eye opening- practically a workshop in itself.

Your images are definitely a notch above most first-timers. From what I can see here from the relatively small sizes, these seem to not have the usual types of errors often seen in new folks entries.
You need to download and study the Twelve Elements of a Merit Image. Go to:
http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international/12elements.php
My opinion on which four to enter from your five here would be to go with the four horizontal images.
Be sure the photos are quite sharp and printed well. The judging lights are BEC lamps and are quite bright. Most professional labs know how much to "print down" images for competition lighting.
The absolute best way to prepare is to spend some time with a Master photographer and actually looking at your prints - life size. If you go to the membership directory here at ppa.com you can search for all photographers in Nevada at one time and see the entire list. Perhaps you could seek some one-on-one from a Master near you. Most Master's I know would be interested in mentoring someone on this path.
I hope this helps.
Sam Gardner M.Photog.Cr. CPP PPA Int. Juror

pete_rezac
04-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks for your input Sam!

How do I go about getting information on the regional competitions? I assume that Nevada would fall into Western States?

Thanks again

Pete

samgardnermcr
04-17-2010, 05:21 AM
Pete,
Yes indeed, Nevada is one of the ten Western States, so you belong in our district.
We have a couple of ways to let folks know about the dates/rules Etc for our Western States District.
1) We maintain a page on Facebook at:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=86031776807&ref=ts

2) We try to maintain a current email list of those who would like to receive notices. Please send me your email address. If you wish to not publicize it here, you can private message me here at ppa.com forum.

The dates for 2011 Western States Judging will be March 25, 26th and it will take place in Yakima Washington.

Thanks, Sam