PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

Linda_Gregory
04-10-2010, 03:10 AM
1st question:

Do you have a preference between these two and do either of them have the possibility of a merit?

http://www.lindagregory.com/comp-10/snake-001.jpg

http://www.lindagregory.com/comp-10/snake-002.jpg

2. The following could not be entered if I decide to enter one of the above, correct? So...one of those two or this one?

http://www.lindagregory.com/comp-10/rc-001.jpg

DianeDavis
04-10-2010, 03:52 AM
Love the first one, Linda.

samgardnermcr
04-10-2010, 04:11 AM
I think the first image strikes me as having the most potential as the snake adds some drama and a great splash of color. I fear that there might be a lack of separation in the upper right corner between the man and the background. If you can add some separation, it would strengthen the image greatly. If not, then both of the other images have potential. The close up is very good and adds an element of tension between the snake and the man so it also has potential.
Hope these opinions help. I look forward to Keith's insights as well.

Sam Gardner M.Photog.Cr. CPP FP Int. Juror

Linda_Gregory
04-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks Sam..I went back to the raw on the 1st image and there's plenty of detail so I'm trying again to get both the separation and the drama. His face is SO much darker than his body, it makes it difficult. I also am finding it difficult to stop at dramatic without going all the way to keyhole! argg...there's a reason Master's earn their title.

Keith_A_Howe
04-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Linda
the problem with the first image in my mind is it looks like the detail is gone from the shadow side of his face. Also you mentioned the other problem, his face is so much darker than the rest of his body which then makes the snake the primary subject and the man the prop so to speak.
I would choose the second image because it is imeadately clear what the intended subject is and you could add even more drama when working the file. I havn't ask Holly yet for a title but I came up with some thing like Raising goose bumps!
Keith

Keith_A_Howe
04-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Well Holly came in from painting a new background ( aren't I lucky?) so I asked her for a title. She said "Body Art" because the snake is the man's body art and the snake has natural body art. And because it's a little bit that thing where the title makes the judges think one thing (tattoo or a figure study) but then what spins around is something else. She also said she would saturate the snake a little and darken the man's body so the snake pops more. Then she told me it's a good thing I have other skills cause I certainly can't spell. What's wrong with imeadately?

Keith

Linda_Gregory
04-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Like this?

http://www.lindagregory.com/comp-10/bodyart.jpg

samgardnermcr
04-12-2010, 02:30 AM
This is very arresting and has the impact needed to sway a panel! Now that I see it a bit closer and "finished" I do notice some highlights on the snake which seem to have a slightly different color temperature to them... Any input Keith?
Sam Gardner M.Photog.Cr. CPP PPA Int. Juror
June 13-16, 2010 Judging International Comp, Atlanta GA

Linda_Gregory
04-12-2010, 02:40 AM
would that be on the narrow part of the snake's neck, right by the skin? It caught the light different and I did work on it some...if that's the area of concern I definitely need to work some more but not until you say for sure. :)

samgardnermcr
04-12-2010, 03:47 AM
Linda, It is specifically near the thickest part of the snake, near the top of the image. There are two parallel, specular highlights which seem to almost have a slightly greenish-bluish tone to them. These highlights and their color cast take away from the colors of the snake. I have drawn on these with a red pencil to show you where I mean. I will send it to you on Facebook if that's ok.
Sam Gardner

Keith_A_Howe
04-12-2010, 04:16 AM
I am not worried about the blueish cast on those highlights. Snakes have an irrediscent quality to their skin which will reflect different colors.

Keith

Angela_Lawson
04-12-2010, 09:11 PM
I know that this is an ask the experts question, but I just had to comment. When I first looked at the 3 images, I wouldn't have thought to pick the 2nd image. But the way Linda reworked it, and with the title Holly gave it, it made me see how far from my Masters I really am. Makes me also wonder whether I have any images that I have missed, due to my lack of seeing the potential, or if I need to start fresh, getting rid of anything I might potentially use from the recent past.

Anyway, this all being said to say, Great job Linda! And thank you to Sam, Keith, and Holly for helping everyone with the endeavor of looking toward their masters.

P.S. I am in serious need of some new, fresh backdrops. Would Holly be interested in giving lessons for free room and board in lovely northern Michigan? :D It's actually quite nice here this spring.

Keith_A_Howe
04-14-2010, 02:33 AM
Yes I see the color that Sam is talking about, I see the same color along the highlights all along the snake. So if you fix it in one area, fix it in all areas. Like I said before it doesn't bother me. However the mans chest is way too soft. Let some of the goose bumps and texture of his skin remain.
Keith

Linda_Gregory
04-14-2010, 03:35 AM
Thanks Keith! I had not planned on changing the colors, it would be too difficult to make it true to what it was and I'd end up with it being duotone.

The area I had concerns with-and reworked-was where the light caught it next to his skin. It went white so I added color and tried to match what other 'spots' had. if neither of you noticed it, I'm pretty sure it'll pass muster.

I also like it with more skin texture but thought the smoothness really set the snake off but yeah, it looks unreal.