PDA

View Full Version : Mounting & Matting Advice

ginnylou27
04-09-2010, 06:36 PM
I am planning to submit several images to the photographic open competition and was curious if people have any suggestions or feedback about matting submissions. Is this an important component to the competition? How do you mount the mat to the submission? Do you mount your image on a larger board and then attach the mount?

Any thoughts or feedback are GREATLY appreciated.

Many thanks and have a terrific weekend,

Virginia

Keith_A_Howe
04-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Yes, the presentation is one of the 12 elements. It does count.
http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international/12elements.php

You do not place a mat over the image. Currently as a non-master your overall image size is 16x20. That will change next year. The actual image area must be at least 80 square inches, so 8x10, 4x20, 6x13.33 - whatever. Of course it can also be anything more then 80 square inches up to the fiull 16x20. The rest of the space around the image up to the 16x20 is what is refered to as the matting or backer. It's not a seperate layer, although it was in the past and the print was surface mounted. But with digital of course you can do it all in one. You can still mount the print to a traditional matboard if you want. But it's quite rare to see something done that way, more work and more expense and in most cases doesn't help the print. There are exceptions. Here is an example of an image with the backer/mat around it for competition. I believe this is Lori Clapp's. I had to go back through old stuff people had sent me bacuse as a Master I can enter odd sizes so I didn't have any personal samples with extra space around the image.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Loricar2.jpg

ginnylou27
04-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Thank you Keith. I am working on preparing my images now and may write again if I have more questions as I get into this. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Best wishes as always,

Virginia