PDA

View Full Version : another print comp possibility

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Please let me know your thoughts on this one!
http://www.studioenvogue.com/envogueweb/daddysgirl.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
04-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Holly calls these kinda prints BTDT prints- Been there, done that. It's not meant as a slam but rather to describe a certain kind of image thats been entered so often that it's lost it's ability to create impact just based on subject matter - think old barns. Old barns can still merit but they have to bbe impactful because of some other reason, usually technical excellance or incrediable composition. I had an old barn go loan last year so comman subjects aren't taboo, you just need to raise them above the rest somehow.

You have good subject matter because they are attractive. The composition is nice and a bit out of the norm with the placement. What you need to make this imaage scream is dramatic lighting. This is a difficult pose to light correctly - two people facing each other. So it's gonna need two mainlights, one for baby's face and one for dad. They should be beyond 90 degrees off camera to skim across the mask of each face. Then you want a weaker fill so you don't flatten out all the nice shadows you create with your mains. I see the same challenge here that I saw in the other image you posted. Your main light is directional but your fill light is too strong.

Keith

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Ok, dramatic lighting it is... I mean, I've some maternity images that just may do the trick! I'll try to get one or two of them posted this afternoon. Thanks again Keith and Holly! You guys are awesome :-)