PDA

View Full Version : This is torture!

Stephanie_Millner
03-30-2010, 02:01 PM
I sent my print case from Italy using the oh-so-reliable PosteItalia. If you don't know - being at the post office in Italy ranks somewhere south of Root Canal and just slightly better than ripping off each of your finger nails one-at-a-time. (I actually cried in the middle of the post office it was such a horrible experience. Really.)

I don't know if my case ever even MADE it to PPSYNS, and now I've checked online at least 100 times, and the scores still aren't up. ACK! Need worthy distraction... must go back to playing Mahjong on Facebook.

Mark_Katz
03-30-2010, 02:15 PM
... must go back to playing Mahjong on Facebook.

I didn't know you could play Mahj on Facebook. I'll have to tell my wife!

BTW, good luck on your print case :)

Jeff_Dachowski
03-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Steff,
Would it help if I hated your case?
Jeff

Stephanie_Millner
03-30-2010, 03:10 PM
If you could hate my case just a little, I'd be forever appreciative. Hate it enough that you don't even care if it showed up at regionals.

Keith_A_Howe
03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Why don't you look up the print chair for PPSNYS and send them an email asking if your case ever arrived?

Ok- I looked it up for you.
Dana@theclassicimage.com
518-993-4199

Keith

Stephanie_Millner
03-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks Keith. I'm toeing a line of desperation and pathetic, depending on if the scores go up and none of my prints merited ("I didn't see my name"). LOL! I'll email her now anyway since still no results have been posted.

Linda_Gregory
03-30-2010, 04:10 PM
mahjong on fb?? *perk* just what I need, another distraction!

Good luck with this, Steff, waiting to hear!

John_Pacetti
03-30-2010, 06:54 PM
The print chairman is Linda Hutchings.
MrsHutchSr@aol.com

Got her email form a PPSNY board member.

Hope it helps

Joe_Campanellie
03-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Good luck...you need to start your own affiliate over there in Italy. Going to be a real pain for you to send a case to PPA. Of course I haven't had much luck with the post office the last couple of years either.

Have lost my case twice because the delivery guy on the other end never did the final scan of the case so I never knew if it got there.

Jeff likes to say he "hates" his case and his images do great. Considering what happened with my prints last year I guess my good luck charm has been if the post office "loses" my case.

Stephanie_Millner
03-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Ok, well... my case is officially lost. I heard back from Linda, and she said she never saw it. It's hard to miss, being covered in saran wrap. Fan-freakin'-tastic... Well, now I get to buy another print case AND a new set of prints for nationals. Hooray. For the good news, I have one good print here already - thanks to yet another snafu with the mail system. (My re-print came 2 days after I shipped my print to regionals.)

Perhaps I can join yet another region and repeal my NY one. Who knows.

Joe - I have been pestering PPA about starting a European region, but they haven't gotten back to me. There is certainly a large enough English-speaking photographic community and tons of ex-pats here. That's just Rome, I'm speaking about. Plus - I got a lot of free time...

Keith_A_Howe
03-30-2010, 09:31 PM
So Sorry Stef
But your case may still arrive in NY so maybe they could either forward it to the international comp or send it to one of your many friends for you.
Keith

Stephanie_Millner
03-30-2010, 09:36 PM
It should have arrived significantly before comp... Did I mention it cost nearly $150 just to ship? *sigh* This country's great and all... until you actually need to get something DONE.

Print Case: $100
4 Comp Prints: $200
Shipping Int'lly: $150
Time spent waiting in line at post office: 3 hours (yes, really.)

Lesson about not trusting the Italian gov't for anything important: Priceless.

Keith_A_Howe
03-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Well next time around just have your lab ship them to me and I will send them in for you. Course you don't get to see them that way but it would save you time and $'s.

Keith

Joe_Campanellie
03-30-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't know if I'm going to be a big fan of digital entries or not. Doesn't really matter since this is in the very near future for PPA. But, in this case it will be much more affordable when she can enter this way. And less stressful.

Angela_Lawson
03-31-2010, 01:56 AM
Steff,

I was just about to offer to have you send your stuff here and I would send it on for you, but Keith beat me to it. And he's a much better person to look at your prints first before sending them on than I am. However, if it is ever a problem, I'm willing to help if I can.

BTW, so sorry about the case and missing the comp. :( Of course, this way, you won't be able to procrastinate anymore. ;)

Angela

Stephanie_Millner
03-31-2010, 10:04 AM
in shThanks guys. Just needed to vent. I really wish I remembered the digi-file thing, because I could have still sent those to regionals. Oh well - no giant problem. I can still send to nationals and I feel like my case is (hopefully) strong enough this year without the buffer zone of regionals (and last year, SEPPA was so close to the deadline it wouldn't have mattered anyway).

My parents have my other print case as Jim had it shipped to them instead of here. So I will send my replacement prints to my dad and have him send it to Nat's this year. Should that OTHER case ever turn up, it has Liz's return address on it as I knew if it had to come back here, I'd really never see it again.

Just annoyed at the cost. Nearly $500 in prints and case and shipping to not even get my prints there. At least I didn't send UPS which was just a $500 shipping charge!!!

Keith_A_Howe
03-31-2010, 02:04 PM
I Know it doesn't matter to Stef but to clarify Entering with a file in the regionals is NOT available this year (except at SEPPA for EI or Commercial Cases Only) That starts with the districts in 2011.
Keith