PDA

View Full Version : Comp Model Release

Ron_Jackson
03-25-2010, 03:44 PM
I had a discussion with a friend yesterday about one of her competition images which focused on a homeless person. I am posting this question so that everyone who is fairly new to comp can learn from it.

"When the subject in the comp print includes recognizable people, do you need a model release or permission to use photo release signed by that person or persons, in order to enter competition?"

I thought I read somewhere that in order for the print to hang or be printed in a loan book, you had to provide these documents.

Ron_Jackson
03-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Let me bring this back up in New Posts so maybe someone will see it and reply.

Betsy_Finn
03-26-2010, 05:50 PM
I couldn't find it online presently -- but this is the statement you had to sign on the 2008 PPA print comp entry form...

PHOTOGRAPHIC CERTIFICATION: This is to certify that I have personally originated the concept behind each entry and that to the best of my recollection images represented by my entries in no way intentionally imitate any other work I am familiar with. I further certify that no major part of my image utilizes artwork (paintings, drawings, photographs, statuary, etc.) created by another person except where I have obtained express written permission to do so. I have created, composed and captured the original exposure and all processing, printing and special effects were done under my supervision. I have read and understand PPA rules for entry. I have obtained all necessary releases and agree to hold PPA harmless against all claims and liabilities arising out of PPA’s consideration, display, publication and promotion or other use of each photograph or other material submitted to PPA. As a condition of entry, I hereby grant a non-exclusive license to Professional Photographers of America and its agents or designees to use my images for any educational or marketing purpose. I understand the above statements and that the loss of five Exhibition Merits will be incurred if they are proven false. I understand my prints may be exhibited at the international convention at the sole discretion of the PEC (Photographic Exhibitions Committee) and only if the all standards and conditions are met. PPA reserves the right to require necessary releases before publication or display. PPA assumes no responsibility for damage or loss to entries or shipping cases. I understand that if I am shipping my entries in an unapproved print case, my images and container will not be returned to me. Decisions of the PEC are final.

Ron_Jackson
03-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks Betsy. I was sure I had read something similar recently. That pretty much says it all.