PDA

View Full Version : I need critiques.

ephotoevents
03-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Dear Ladies & Gentelmen, I need your opinion.

Keith_A_Howe
03-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Manuel,

Congratulations on deciding to enter competition. I suggest that you try to get ahold of some PPA Showcase or Loan collection books to study. This will give you a good sense of what the judges are looking for in a merit print.

The images you have posted here have a common challenge of the light being placed incorrectly. Your camera angle is low on the first and third images. On the girl applying makeup, watch out for backround distractions like the extra hand. Judges will notice everything.

Hopefully Sam will chime in here and add some comments.

Keith

ephotoevents
03-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks Keith I will be more carefully about the backgrounds and camera angle. Where can I find a PPA SHowcase or Loan Collection Books.? I would like to know more about the light that I used in these images. Thanks a lot for your time.

samgardnermcr
03-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks Keith for starting this discussion. It is so important to have some background on just what the PPA jurors are looking for. If it is at all possible to attend a state or Regional level judging in your area, you can learn so much about just how our system works and some real life example of how to use or not use the twelve elements of a merit image. I encourage all photographers to enter images for critical review and judging. Attending a judging first however can save you at least a year of basic mistakes and set you just that much farther ahead at honing your skills at the twelve elements.
I agree with Keith's observations on these three images and also on getting a hold of any copies of the Showcase or Loan collections. One source for them is:
http://www.marathonpress.com/ppa-loan-collection/
Sometimes there are clearance prices on a few older issues of these great annual books.

Sam Gardner M.Photog.Cr. CPP Int. Juror

ephotoevents
03-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Thank very much Mr Keith Howe and Mr Sam Gardner. I will see one of the loan collections to understand more about the system and I will try to attend judging in my area.