PDA

View Full Version : Please comment

quixilver
03-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Hi, I'm a new here and I've heard a lot of great things about all of you.
So I thought to post this image and hope to receive some comments.
Do you think this could be good photo for the competition?
How does the competition actually work?
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4403493838_51c28c9d03_b.jpg
Thanks a lot
Riccardo Suriano
http://www.norcalphotostudio.com

Jeff_Dachowski
03-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Riccardo,
i dont want to leave you hanging, but I am out the door. I wanted to reply something so you know folks are actually looking. I will try to give you an in depth comp description tonight. have a good day!

Keith_A_Howe
03-24-2010, 03:29 PM
There are local, state, regional / district and international competitions. The regional / district and the international judgings are each held once a year. Local and state competitions are kind of a warm up for deciding what to enter in the regional / district or international competitions. Any images at a regional / district competition recieving an 80 or above (deserving of merit) recieve a seal of approval. This means that images that are entered (in the same year as they recieved the seal) at the international competition automaticly recieve the merit and then are judged for the prestigious Loan Collection. Images selected for the Loan Collection recieve a second merit. Note you can enter any competition you want, you do not have to enter them all. For example you can enter just the international if you want to. The advantage of entering the regional / district competition and then the international competition is you have 2 chances to recieve merits. These print merits are then used toward earning your Masters Degree from PPA.
The scoring system used is :
Exceptional 100-95, Superior 94-90, Excellant 89-85, Deserving of a Merit 84-80, Deserving of Review 79-78,
Above Average 77-76, Average 75-74,
Acceptable 73-70, Below Exhibition Standards 69-00

Automatic Review 81-78
Merit Print 80 and Above

John_Metcalfe
03-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Riccardo,

Keith has a handle on the comp thing, so I will go straight to the image.

At a glance, this image has many of the qualities one looks for in a competition print. Having made that statement, I wish for you to detach yourself from the image and look at it again. This time I wish for you to seek out the items that detract your eyes from your subject. After you have made your list pm me and I'll give you mine.

quixilver
03-24-2010, 07:18 PM
HEY Keith, thanks a lot, wow you were very helpful. I will check out all the competitions and will try to apply one day to some.
Thanks
John The only object I see that might make me do that is the lamp, maybe the little lint on her shirt ( that i will take out) and I don' t really know if things like earrings or hat because I consider them part of the subject.

Joe_Galioto
03-25-2010, 01:04 PM
riccardo,
few things that caught my eye:
the lamp, for starters it's crooked.
the arms are crop below the elbow, so that's a problem.
and those stripes on her lower part of the arm.
face looks a little over retouched.
joe
ps: welcome to the forum riccardo

John_Metcalfe
03-25-2010, 03:41 PM
riccardo,

You have definitely given us a lot to see...
There are several things that catch my attention.
The image has impact and you have been creative in your stylization of your image.
But composition and presentation has taken a big hit. Not only is the lamp crooked the corner of the wall is too. Plus it runs through her hair and into her shoulder. Joe has already mentioned the crop off of the hands... I feel the image needs more space. Your center of interest which is the young lady's face has some competition. A cool wall, a warm lamp, a hat and blouse brighter than her face, not to mention the wrinkles in the blouse. I thought the lighting was done well, except for the shadow behind her head on the wall above the lamp. I understand why the light was positioned where it was. ( hat) You had a wonderful subject to work with. She appears to have an interesting attitude which is one of the traits one looks for. I felt the clothing selection missed the mark. The colors combined kept distracting me from the subject. Like Joe, I thought the image was over retouched and I thought the image was taken at too low of an angle. (I see her chin before her eyes and up into her nose) I would love to hear some of you comments on the image referring mostly to the thought process and the reasons for your choices.

p.s. I have also sent you a pm.