PDA

View Full Version : She Wore a Black Veil

Jessica_Edwards
03-13-2010, 06:33 AM
What do you think about this image for print competition?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/jrayeedwards/possible%20print%20comp/colorWIPcrop.jpg

Missy50
03-13-2010, 02:30 PM
I am not considered an expert, but I love it! You maintained sharpness and achieved the silkiness of her skin. The pose and lighting are beautiful. I would love to see Hematite studs on her ears or some sort of small black (not dangling) earrings. That is just my opinion though.

John_Pacetti
03-14-2010, 03:20 AM
overall I like it. It's a bit hard to tell exactly, however I think the whites of the eyes is a little over whitened.
Definitely needs an earring.

John_Metcalfe
03-14-2010, 09:16 PM
the strap really messes with me. it cuts through her body and leads my eye out of the image.

Missy50
03-14-2010, 09:29 PM
the strap really messes with me. it cuts through her body and leads my eye out of the image.

John, if you look closer, there is a white bra strap under the lace. I started to post about that yesterday. I thought something was wrong, but had to look at it on a larger monitor. If it were not there, I think it would not bother us.

Jessica_Edwards
03-15-2010, 04:37 AM
It's not a white bra strap because she was wearing a strapless bra. What you're seeing is a part of the dress. The material under the lace was off white.

I agree about a small earring.

In print, there is detail in the whites of the eyes. If you can see detail, would it still be considered too white?

John_Metcalfe
03-15-2010, 05:56 AM
I hope you don't mind being beaten up a bit on the image. Finding the negatives now and figuring things out before printing is a big positive.

It is far better to bleed in preparation than in front of the judges.

Here we go:
1. I feel there isn't enough body to support the head.
2. what body there is has been cut in half by the strap.
3. the ear is in competition with the eyes. it is brighter than most of the face.
4. the cropping through the hairline leaves me with questions. like, why did she crop through the hairline? From what I see her hair is a beautiful color, is it not? Do I find the crop advantageous for the image? my answer would be, "no".
5. I see feathers or something starting into the image. what are they? you have left me with somewhat of an unanswered question.
6. We read left to right and top to bottom, correct? When I do this, even though you have put your subject's eyes in a sweet spot on the board, when I remove your name from the bottom left I find the negative space overwhelming.

Do you have more space in the original? I don't know. I can only comment on what is here. There are a lot of positives in this image, but I feel print presentation will hurt you.

My fix if there is more room. Move your image to the upper left 1/3 and add more back and veil till it fits. Then tone from the ear across and down to the end of the print in the lower right corner.

Having said that, I feel there is a merit in this print. I want you to know I don't say that often around here. I would like to see more... Would you please show the original? I would love to talk about this more with you.

Jessica_Edwards
03-15-2010, 06:11 PM
The above isn't my favorite crop of the image, but this crop was made by someone who has been very successful in print competition. Since I'm fairly new to competition, I trusted their suggestion over my personal favorite.

Below is the image that I like best.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/jrayeedwards/possible%20print%20comp/desatWIP.jpg

This is the SOOC crop

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/jrayeedwards/possible%20print%20comp/colorweb.jpg

This image was taken when I was experimenting with something...it wasn't originally intended for print competition, but after seeing it on the computer, I liked it more than my original idea for the shoot. Kinda funny how that happens.

Carver_Shivers
03-15-2010, 08:58 PM
I like it, but for some reason I am at odds with it... I wish I could see her hands under her chin or something.. I feel it leaves me hanging... I do agree that the ear is too bright. I like the cropping, very unusual and dynamic... Maybe remove the white bra strap color... that will help a lot...

Jessica_Edwards
03-15-2010, 09:17 PM
It's not a bra strap, as the dress isn't sheer. There's a lighter color underlay. I understand that it looks like one, so it's worth toning down.

John_Metcalfe
03-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Okay...

Now we have something to work with! Much better! I love the upside down tear drop the back of the dress is making. I understand some of the steps taken in the previous images better now, but I feel there are avenues one could take to turn them into positives.

And another KOOL thing is happening. People are at odds with the image. I've stated it and Carver just did also...

Remember," In print competition... when judges disagree, the artist is in accord with themselves.

You want them to have a reason to stop and discuss. Hopefully if you've done things correctly "in a positive way". It is a risk but you have some things going for your image.

BIG thing is remembrance!

She is wearing black, not the traditional white. Her veil is not of today's fashion. She is not posed in what people here consider a portrait manner. She is not lit in what I believe to be traditional either. Being that the image is lit as it is, you have a lot of room to work with.

Now the things that need to be correct: The 12 elements. Work through each of them and if you would like more assistance, I am more than happy...