PDA

View Full Version : Categories in Print Competion

ephotoevents
03-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I have two questions.
*In portrait category can I send a dog image, a flower ? human faces only ?
*In illustrative category can I send a photographic image that shows what is happening in a place?

I am new in PPA I need your help. Thanks a lot.

Keith_A_Howe
03-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Manuel,

Currently in affiliate competitions (official PPA competitions on the regional or national level) there is not a portrait catergory or an illustrative catergory. That will change next year. So when you ask about illustrative or portrait, it leads me to believe we are talking about a state or local competition. There the rules are set by the state or local association and PPA/PEC has no say. So what I am going to tell you is my best guess, but for an official answer you would need to call the print chairman for the competition you are entering.

Generally a portrait is considered to be an image of something that is alive and breathing - like a person or an animal. A flower is "alive" but generally that's not considered a portrait, so probably illustrative. Some images are easy to tell what's the right catergory - like a studio h&s is probably portrait and a scenic is probably illustrative. But sometimes the line is not so distinct like your example of something happening in a particular scene. There maybe people in the image, but it's really more a story of the event going on then a portrait of those people. Think about it this way. Is the image mainly about the subject? Then it's a portrait. If the image is mainly to tell a story or convey an emotion or express an idea then it's probably best in illustrative.

Like I said, this is my opinion based on my own experiences. To be perfetly sure, you should ask the print chair from the comp you are entering.

Keith

ephotoevents
03-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks a lot Keith.