PDA

View Full Version : EI Help

Ron_Jackson
03-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I am entering Nationals in the EI catagory. Now that I have my images almost final, I have questions about prep.

For EI, what is the proper way to print the image?

Where does the guide print go?

How are they shown together?

Can someone post one of their EI prints to show how they presented it?

I see the EI catagory allows for digital submission. So, if the image merits, then how would that be shown in the Loan book? (Not saying mine would merit)

I don't want to spend the money printing these to find out later they weren't done right so any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Michael_Gan
03-10-2010, 03:19 PM
The area size is 20x24 (at least, as of last year). Go to our blog http://meritageonmain.blogspot.com/ where we have Leslie's four EI submissions that hung at Imaging this year.

Ron_Jackson
03-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks Michael but after seeing Leslie's work, I think I will just give up. In fact, I think I'll just go get a job at Walmart. Now I understand how to present. That is a huge help.

Michael_Gan
03-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Good for you Ron! You're finally looking for a real job :D

ChontelleBrown
03-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Congratulations on your decision to enter again. Remember Sandra Pearce is always willing to help too.

Good luck,
Chontelle

Missy50
03-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Ron, you will be great at this!

Michael, Leslie's work is beautiful.

Joe_Campanellie
03-10-2010, 06:19 PM
A real job...that's classic isn't it. Heard that from my parents for years.

Ron_Jackson
03-10-2010, 11:22 PM
My images are not "all that". I just wanted to get this one particular image in but need to fill the case. No expectations, just curious and learning.

Yeah Joe. When I decided I wanted to go to Brooks, my father wondered outloud why I didn't go to a real college and get a real job? Well, he is and has been pretty proud of what I do for a long time.

Rick_Massarini
03-11-2010, 01:15 AM
I am entering Nationals in the EI catagory...

I see the EI catagory allows for digital submission. So, if the image merits, then how would that be shown in the Loan book?

Just to clarify things, as far as I know, at this year's International Judging in June, there are no digital submissions allowed except for wedding albums on CD's. You can send in a print in the digital category, but you cannot enter by just sending in a file - you must send 16x20 or 20x24 prints. There is a digital upload of all images entered required again this year. These files are used for entry tracking, reproduction in the Loan and Showcase Books, and for image critiques. The last that I've heard, there will not be any electronic judging of entries THIS YEAR - meaning the 2010 International Judging in June - except for wedding albums. In September, starting with the first 2011 District Judging (SWPPA) things change...

Ron_Jackson
03-11-2010, 01:38 AM
There is a digital upload of all images entered required again this year. These files are used for entry tracking, reproduction in the Loan and Showcase Books, and for image critiques. ..

That right there is my misinterpretation. I thought that meant you could submit either. Thanks for clearing that up.

Rick_Massarini
03-11-2010, 01:49 AM
That right there is my misinterpretation. I thought that meant you could submit either. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah, the judging in June of this year is going to be the same as has been done in previous years. Next year's - the one to be held in June of 2011 - now that's going to be an interesting week (from a print handling and logistical point of view)...

Sandra_Pearce
03-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Ron,

If you will call me I will help if your would like.

Sandra

Stephanie_Millner
03-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Hmm... I still hear "get a real job" from my parents... and my father is a cartoonist for pete's sake!

Angela_Lawson
03-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Hmm... I still hear "get a real job" from my parents... and my father is a cartoonist for pete's sake!

LOL, now that is funny!

Ron_Jackson
03-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Rick, now I just read in the current issue of PP magazine, page 149 under the topic "Are You Ready To Enter" question: Can I submit digital files for judging? Answer: Yes. Beginning with the 2010 International Photographic competiton, you may submit either digital files or prints if you are entering the Electronic Imaging category.

So, is this truly the case? If so, my original question, if one submitted digital files and it went loan, how would that wind up in the loan book? I do not mean to insinuate that anything I would enter would be worthy. Just curious. Also of course, if the image merited, how would it be displayed at the next Imaging convention?

Jeff_Dachowski
03-14-2010, 05:57 PM
If so, my original question, if one submitted digital files and it went loan, how would that wind up in the loan book? I do not mean to insinuate that anything I would enter would be worthy. Just curious. Also of course, if the image merited, how would it be displayed at the next Imaging convention?

Ron,
PPA would have the high res file that was judged, and they could use that for the loan book. They did this last year, except they judged the print, and not the file. PEC is working out how to best showcase images that have merited, that did not have prints associated with them. This is certainly one of the most negative side effects of a digital competition. Very few can enjoy the image at their leisure at IUSA. Instead they all might be gathered around a plasma tv and waiting for thier image to come up.

Jeff

Rick_Massarini
03-14-2010, 11:38 PM
I have to correct my earlier post - I spoke with Ron Nichols today (at a St. Patrick's day parade in New Orleans), and we spoke about the upcoming national competition - he told me that this year (2010) the Commercial and Electronic Imaging entries for the PPA International Judging in June can be entered by submitting either prints or files. So you can send in files in the EI category this year. I hope that my earlier post didn't discourage anyone from entering.

Ron_Jackson
03-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks Rick. No biggie. We have all learned something from this thread. I haven't decided on prints or digital.

Now the question is, what are the pros and cons of print vs. digital submission for this specific judging? The obvious is no print cost but besides that, from a judging point of view, pros and cons.

Jeff_Dachowski
03-15-2010, 01:47 AM
Ron,
PEC has done simulated judging in digital before for single entries. For several years they have allowed digital albums to be submitted. This is the first year that a digital entry for a single image will be accepted. As for the proc and cons, you can speculate, but no one really know until they have done this for a couple of years. If you go the print route, you know for sure exactly how it will look under lights. If you go the file route, your file might not look like it does on the screen. I think it will be figured out soon, but it is hard to imagine that my screen matches the comp screen. I do not doubt that the comp screen is an awesome monitor, but what if it is better than mine?
Jeff