PDA

View Full Version : opinion for these images

Blanca
02-12-2010, 01:17 AM
Hello,

Here I'm posting two images I like, but not sure what the rest of people think of them. Are they good for competition?

Blanca

samgardnermcr
02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
The thing that first strikes me about both of these images is their excellent story telling quality! I also think the composition works very well, despite being unorthodox in it's approach.
The bride on the boardwalk image does have some technical elements which I think would bother most panelists however. Her left arm seems to be distorted a bit and the highlights behind her might be blown out, hard to tell at this size and resolution. It is a challenging image since it is so different, yet it is attention getting. It would do well in a photojournalism or candid category, but probably not otherwise.
The bride and two maids collapsing on the couch is another awesome concept as we wedding photographers have seen many times -just how exhausting the "big day" can be for those most involved. Details to check in the final presentation would be:
1) are the highlights in the dresses blown out or printable?
2)is there any blown out edge to the tops of the women against the bright window light source?
3)Is there some detail in the shadow areas of the dresses?
If these highlights and shadows are controlled, this image could do well, especially in a candid category.
Sam Gardner M.Photog.Cr. CPP Int. Juror

Blanca
02-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Thank you very much for your quick response. I'm going to check very carefully what you mentioned about the highlights and shadows. I can check the raw files and see if I messed up those details and probably work the photo again. I didn't know about those categories, see most of my photos are like those ones, all of them taken during the job, not for special projects for competitions. Where can I find information about entering photos to these kind of categories you mentioned?

Blanca