PDA

View Full Version : Actual Score

khierholzer
01-25-2010, 04:14 AM
Is there a way to know your actual score on the prints submitted without watching the judging?
TIA

Jeff_Dachowski
01-25-2010, 04:24 AM
Hi THere,
If you are entering a local, state or regional print competition, the score will be written on the entry. If you are entering the International competition, then you entry is one of a couple choices. Not- merited, Merited, Showcase Book or Loan Collection. THe last three all mean that the image did merit. They do not do scores at nationals, only merit or no merit.

Jeff

Todd_Reichman
01-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Out of curiosity, what's the difference between showcase book and loan collection. I mean, I get that they are different books, but what does it "mean?"

- trr

khierholzer
01-25-2010, 05:24 AM
Thank you...it is my understanding that Showcase is a higher honor than Merit, and Loan is higher than Showcase?

Rick_Massarini
01-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Out of curiosity, what's the difference between showcase book and loan collection. I mean, I get that they are different books, but what does it "mean?"

- trr

The images selected for the Showcase book are kind of a "Judges Choice" Award. At the beginning of the National Judging, each of the International Jurors are given 6 "chips" each of which indicate one image which they may select for the Showcase Book. Each of the 40 or so judges are allowed to select only 6 images from the entire competition for inclusion in the PPA Showcase Album. During the Loan Judging, if a majority of the Loan panel decide that the image is of outstanding quality and should be included in the Loan Collection, it is so recorded, PPA retains the print for exhibition and the creator receives an additional Exhibition Merit for that image. The image is then published in the Loan Collection book. If a Juror is so taken with an image that they believe that an image is of outstanding quality but was not selected for the Loan Collection, the Juror may give up one of his or her 6 "chips" and that image is recorded to be placed into the PPA Showcase Album, but the image still only receives it's single exhibition merit since it did not "Go Loan". The selection of an image for the Showcase Album should not, however, be thought of as a "Loan Consolation Prize", but should be thought of as a "Special Honor" because having an image selected for the Loan Collection means that one of the International Jurors thought so highly of your image that the juror gave up one of his or her 6 selections to place your image into that Showcase Book. Thus, the Showcase book is a very limited collection since it can be at a maximum about 300 images since usually the jury pool is about 40-50 jurors and each can select only 6 from all of the thousands of images that were submitted for judging.

khierholzer
01-25-2010, 05:44 AM
Thank you for that explanation. One of my images last year was chosen for the Showcase book and I really had no idea what that meant exactly.

Rick_Massarini
01-25-2010, 05:47 AM
Having an image selected for the Showcase Album is really quite an honor. Congratulations! Did you order a copy of the book?