PDA

View Full Version : A couple for CC, potential print competition entries

DanaLanePhoto
01-15-2010, 02:31 AM
This isn't late, its really early for next year. :) I'm a fairly new PPA member and just got back from Imaging USA. After looking at the prints on display, I've got the bug to submit a few myself. So, figure i may as well take advantage of this forum. :)

Keith_A_Howe
01-15-2010, 09:00 PM
First off the nude image, I really like the pose and the extreme S curve you have created with her body. Most of the time fine art nudes are about form and shape. Because of the lighting direction here, instead of accenting the curves they are being flatten out. If the main light had been moved even further to camera left, to skim across her shape, then we would have seen more highlights and shadows, creating more dimension. A very subtle kicker light skimming across her backside would have created seperation between her body and the background. The seperation may be there but at least in this smaller low res file it seems like we have lost the edge. If this was a softer more impressionistic type image, the loss of that edge would not be a concern, but where this seems to be about the graphics of her body, I feel that back edge is important.

The Marilyn Monroe image -
If you are going to do an homage to a famous image, then for it to do well in competition you need to raise it up to an even higher level then the original or somehow change it in a obvious way that gets something entirely different out of the story. Otherwise it just comes across as copying. In this particular image you have a white dress on a purely black background, the highest contrast there is. So the eye goes to the dress instead of the subject. The largest expanse of white in the image is her fanny, which also because the lighting is slightly low is the brightest area. That's usually not area most women want to emphasize. I think in order to get the kind of score you would like, you would need a more directional light on your subject.

Keith

DanaLanePhoto
01-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it!