PDA

View Full Version : Joe Campanellie's prints at IUSA display

Ed_Sharp
01-12-2010, 01:10 AM
I was blown away by OurPPA forum member Joe Campanellie's wildlife prints on display at IUSA, a big wow:eek: factor and he has quite a few there. A definite "must see".

Joe_Campanellie
01-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Glad you enjoyed them...! The display as you entered the print exhibit was my portfolio of 25 prints that was presented to the judges for my ASP Fellowship. MY whole family came in for the ASP banquet for the presentation. Was awesome having my friends and family present for that since I could not have achieved my Fellowship without their help and support.

Joe_Galioto
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
congrats joe,
i saw them also, beautiful prints!
joe

Ron_Jackson
01-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Joe I wasn't there to see them but I want to offer my congratulations. That is a wonderful recognition and accomplishment. Well done!

Jeff_Dachowski
01-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Joe,
They were ok........:)

Jeff

Missy50
01-14-2010, 03:58 PM
I loved them!

Joe_Campanellie
01-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Yeah...I thought that they were just ok too...

To be quite honest...I was so tired of looking at these prints by the time I had to ship them for the Fellowship and had spent so many hours picking them apart for every little flaw, I didn't think I had a chance of getting approved on my first try. I was already thinking about what I would do differently for next year.

If there is a lesson to be learned it is that when you discover true passion for something...good things are possible. And I don't mean that just for myself either but for everyone. We need to take more time to nuture our creative spirit and we need to pay more attention to that little voice that is in each one of us.

Jeff_Dachowski
01-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Yeah...I thought that they were just ok too...

To be quite honest...I was so tired of looking at these prints by the time I had to ship them for the Fellowship and had spent so many hours picking them apart for every little flaw, I didn't think I had a chance of getting approved on my first try. I was already thinking about what I would do differently for next year.

If there is a lesson to be learned it is that when you discover true passion for something...good things are possible. And I don't mean that just for myself either but for everyone. We need to take more time to nuture our creative spirit and we need to pay more attention to that little voice that is in each one of us.
Joe,
Are you saying that you " hated your case"?

Jeff

Missy50
01-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Are you saying that birds bring out the best in your creative spirit? Your sure do a midey fine job on them.

Joe_Campanellie
01-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Jeff...I forgot about that...! So...I guess I did hate my case !

Missy...I don't know if it is the birds in particular or just giving myself the time to play. At the time I was introduced to this particular type of photography I was pretty burned out by the daily routine of running a full time portrait studio. I knew it and my wife definitely sensed it. It was her who put me on this path when she surprised me with my first avian photography class as a gift for Christmas. I was hooked from day one and have been having a ball ever since. What began as a new adventure for me became a body of work that re-defined who I was as a photographer. And...when my dad passed away just before the Fellowship deadlines it made me realize how much of an influence he had on my own photographic career and who I had become as a person.

If you're interested you can read the thesis on the ASP website as well as look at the images. ( http://www.asofp.com/detail_fellowship.asp?ID=123 ).

I think burnout is something that a lot of us experience during our careers and something that we have to find a way to deal with. My feeling is that giving yourself permission to play is the first real step in the creative process.

Missy50
01-14-2010, 06:13 PM
I have bookmarked your link to read. I no longer will feel guilty about holding up my family in order to photograph a bug, butterfly or a spider. I do not know why, but it is something I get a lot of pleasure doing. If someone complains, I will picture your 'eagle' in my head. I know my DH will not complain. He loves to see me shoot for pleasure.

Don_Chick
01-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Awesome work Joe!!! Congratulations again.

Don_Chick
01-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Joe... you need to edit your signature and add F-ASP

John_Stein
01-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Joe,

I didn't get a chance to talk with you after the banquet, you were tied up with photos and Diane and I needed to get out of there because we were leaving very early the next Morning.

Congratulations on the Fellow, Gold Medallion Award, Diamond Photographer of the year and the Imaging Excellence award.

John Stein