PDA

View Full Version : Question for people that have taken the test

Roger_Williams
12-29-2009, 05:53 PM
I will be taking the prep class and test at Imaging. I've been studying and find that I am only weak in the areas of darkroom developing and printing. I've never really done any darkroom work or printing (other than inkjet) and I'm worried about how much of the test will be in this area. In the real word for you full time, long time photographers, do you really use or even think about cyanotype, platinum printing, palladium printing or using the Zone system or do you just bracket and do it in the computer? The couple of chapters on this I really do poorly on the sample test questions and I'm starting to get worried. :eek:

Mark_Levesque
12-30-2009, 12:05 AM
Don't worry. Fortunately the test is very current and the film stuff is a minor issue. Just make sure you know the order of processing and what the various steps are and you should do ok with those questions. If you take the prep class I can't imagine you having a tough time with the test. It's very fair, and relatively straightforward. If you are putting the time and effort in, you should not have an issue. Don't stress. It's not a trick. You merely need to establish that you know the material.

KirkDarling
12-30-2009, 02:31 AM
The darkroom stuff is no more than straighforward, Kodak-vanilla stuff--nothing esoteric--just like a certification test for an electrician would not have questions about installing wiring in the space shuttle.

Answers will not be proprietary or brand-specific (you're not going to have to know anything unique to, say, Photoshop, but you might have to know about a tool common to all image editors).

And as Mark has said, there are no trick questions. It's a well-done test (and I've been specifically trained in writing certification tests). The questions are designed that if you know the material, you will see the right answer.

John_Pacetti
12-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Don't worry about it. What the worst that could happen? Just kidding!!!
I took the test when we still used film. I had really never done any darkroom work since high school. Many years later, I got through that part of the test. The test has changed a lot since then. I'm sure darkroom stuff is minimal now. At least I think it should be.

Good luck taking the test.

Roger_Williams
12-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was feeling pretty good until I took the study questions and those couple of chapters really messed up my average. The study questions are a life saver as they showed me exactly where I need to study. I just can't see me *ever* doing any darkroom developing or printing so I just don't see the point other than it would be FYI.

Missy50
12-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was feeling pretty good until I took the study questions and those couple of chapters really messed up my average. The study questions are a life saver as they showed me exactly where I need to study. I just can't see me *ever* doing any darkroom developing or printing so I just don't see the point other than it would be FYI.

I do not plan to take mine until spring, but I am so glad that I know DR work... and learned photography on old antiquated equipment/gear. I am only worried about the digital part.

George_Hawkins
12-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Here's a thought: it's multiple choice, right? Use your head and process of elimination.
If you know that two choices are wrong, the worst you can do is heads or tails.
So, I'd not worry too much, if you know the basics.

Kimberly_Hill
12-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Agreed! I took it Feb '09 and as long as you understand the basics of darkroom processing, you'll be fine.