PDA

View Full Version : Do I take my camera to the convention?

kdixon
12-28-2009, 06:38 PM
I know that must be a really dumb question but with hours like 700a to 11p.. do people really drag their cameras around all day? I am not staying at the resort, so I just want to make sure I do this all the right way. :) Don't wanna miss a thing.

If you do take your camera...is it to capture the event, or is it helpful to have the equipment in the classes?

Can someone please advise?//

Thanks so much!

Missy50
12-28-2009, 07:02 PM
I am thinking of taking my new canon g11. And maybe another case in the trunk for "just in case".

Rick_Massarini
12-28-2009, 07:09 PM
I'd bring a pocket sized point-and-hope just to record the event as a whole. It's a lot less weight to carry around all day and there will be few if any opportunities for you to photograph anything during the programs. Live video recording of programs is generally not permitted. If you are taking any pre-convention classes you will need to check with your instructor as your instructor may have actual shooting planned. Now if you're planning to do any photography in the area around the convention, then you'll need to plan accordingly.

Ed_Sharp
12-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that Gaylord, Like many places these days, has a pretty restrictive official photography policy when it comes to pro gear being used on their property.

Imaging USA 2010 Information

Imaging USA, 229 Peachtree St. NE, #2200, Atlanta, GA 30303
info@imagingusa.org | (888) 260-0016 | www.ImagingUSA.org (http://www.imagingusa.org/)

GAYLORD OPRYLAND
ON-SITE PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEOGRAPHY POLICY

Professional / Personal / Amateur Photography and Videography

Gaylord Opryland Hotel encourages guests and visitors to take personal video or still photographs while
enjoying their visit. All images and videos taken by guests and visitors are allowed free of charge so long as the
images and videos are used for a personal, non-commercial purpose. All photographs and video should be
taken from public viewing areas and must be taken with a hand-held camera (non-professional equipment).
IMPORTANT: All camera accessories that could potentially impede foot traffic are expressly forbidden, including
camera tripods, monopods, lighting setups, large reflectors and staging shots.
Gaylord Opryland has the right, at its sole discretion, to withhold or withdraw consent to photograph and video
(or to reproduce photographs or video) of the hotel and related property.
Photographs may not be published, sold, reproduced, transmitted, distributed or otherwise commercially
exploited in any manner whatsoever. All trademarks, service marks, logos, images, and facilities of Gaylord
Opryland are the sole property of Gaylord Entertainment and may not be used, reproduced, displayed or
distributed without written consent.

Media Photography and Videography

Professional photographers/videographers who are contracted specifically for the purposes of documenting a
special event, meeting or convention MUST wear the event credential (or other form of official identification)
throughout their stay that clearly shows their affiliation with a specific group, event or convention that is
occurring at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel during their time onsite. Imaging USA will provide the appropriate
parties with official identification.

Ed_Sharp
12-28-2009, 07:46 PM
I am thinking that maybe Gaylord will realize with thousands of photographers at the convention that many photographer's "non-professional equipment" would be considered "professional" by normal standards.:D

KirkDarling
12-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Camera phone for me.

Joe_Campanellie
12-29-2009, 12:16 AM
I would... just because the place is so gorgeous and plenty of architectual photo ops. I think if you don't make a big scene or a nusinace of yourself they wouldn't say anything. Of course there are way too many photographers who feel the rules about staying on the walkways and out of the gardens does not apply to them.

Just never know where that next loan print will come from.

The last convention at Opryland was in about 1995. That was when they used to do the early birds and photo safaris which we used the interior grounds and locations for.

Fuzzy_Duenkel
12-29-2009, 12:27 AM
I don't know if anyone else finds this annoying, but I find it VERY distracting to see cameras popping up and down like pairie dogs during a speaker's program. Especially with their bright screens in a darkened room. That's why we prohibit them in our program. It's almost as annoying as a salesman talking loudly on his cellphone at an airport. OK, well not that annoying.

Ed_Sharp
12-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I definitely agree with Fuzzy RE: photographers disrupting the flow of a speakers program, and you would think that as Photographers we would not want to be like that annoying GWC (Guy/Gal with a camera) that anyone who photographs Weddings or Sports knows all too well.

The Gaylord itself looks like it was made for photography, but I can understand Gaylord not wanting to have to deal with hundreds of tripods blocking traffic.
I like Joe's advice about being unobtrusive and respectful of the habitat there.

Here is a you tube clip of what the Gaylord is like inside. The guy who did the video was more interested in the elevator itself though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVXRniYZCKw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVXRniYZCKw)

Looking at the schedule there will be little time to do anything more than take a few quick snap shots. Leaving photo gear alone in a hotel room is always a risk and lugging it around from class to class is an added burden.

Joe_Campanellie
12-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Can't agree with Fuzzy more about people who feel they have to photograph every image that is put up during a speakers presentation. I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed at the PPA convention. But...like I said before I'm sure there will be plenty who just feel those rules don't apply to them.

Not to mention the whole copyright issue of photographing someone else's work. You would think that as photographers they would understand that.

Fuzzy_Duenkel
12-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Joe, the copyright issue might be a little hazy in this case. I argue that as well, but others say that we are there to share info and images, so copyright doesn't apply. What about all the snapshots of competition prints? I agree with you, but also understand that it maye not be a simple prohibition.

Keith_A_Howe
12-29-2009, 06:59 PM
What about all the snapshots of competition prints?

This is just my personal opinion. If somebody wants to take a snapshot of themselves standing by their own print in the show that should be ok. If parts of a couple other prints accidently show up in the corner of that snapshot, I don't think anybody should get upset. What I don't think is right is the people going around copying prints out of the show. How would those people feel if someone walked into their studio and started copying their prints on the walls? To me it's just not ethical but maybe I am too uptight. I think if you want to keep copies of the prints in the show for inspiration or learning then buy the Loan and Showcase books. I think if people just photograph the prints for themselves that is exactly the same as clients wanting to copy and make prints for themselves instead of paying the photographer. Where did photographers get the idea that they can copy others work even though they would be upset if a client did it to them? If you are using it, you are using it, whether it's to give to grandma, hang on your own wall or just look at for inspiration and learning. If you want to use it, pay for it.

Keith

Joe_Galioto
12-29-2009, 07:33 PM
keith
wow, i never thought of this. at some conventions i did exactly what you are talking about. that is photographed some of the prints-just for ideas & inspiration.
never did anything with them, never would.
never thought anyone would be offended, guess i was wrong.
will certainly reconsider next time.
joe

Sarah_Johnston
12-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Keith, I agree. If it is to use as inspiration they need to buy the showcase and loan books.

John_Metcalfe
12-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Sarah,

You're bringing your camera right?

John_Metcalfe
12-30-2009, 02:02 PM
As far as others taking shots during the walk through I'm sure some will be protective, but you are not ever going to stop it. Not with all the gadgetry out there now....

I honestly don't care. If someone wants to take a snap of my image that has been adjusted to be under the judge's lighting more power to them. I always feel like (my shots especially) don't represent themselves well on display anyway and if they did I screwed up for comp. Besides, I don't want to shoot that shot again anyway... ;)

Fuzzy_Duenkel
12-30-2009, 05:10 PM
When in doubt, ask the maker. It should be common courtesy to ask permission to copy their idea/image.

George_Hawkins
12-30-2009, 07:29 PM
I've seen people carry their DSLR, even myself a few times; BUT it becomes very cumbersome. All depends on what one has for a compact & quality P&S, and a shoulder bag, as I like to carry trade show brochures and my water bottle, along with the camera.
I agree with Fuzzy, but I'd never copy one print w/o maker; I'd capture a small group.

kdixon
12-31-2009, 04:25 AM
Thank you all.. I really appreciate it! I think one of my big hangups is the size of my cameras.. Sony A350 is my small one then I have the Canon 50D which I am very protective of! Not sure I care to carry it on my back all day, but the thought of leaving it in a room or in my car is far less appealing and risky. Driving there so I can make that decision on the fly, but still not sure. Does help to know that we don't need them for the programs though.

Does anyone know if Speed Shooting with the Pros will actually be shooting with them or is it more of a lecture type of thing?

John_Metcalfe
12-31-2009, 03:33 PM
When in doubt, ask the maker. It should be common courtesy to ask permission to copy their idea/image.

There's going to be 12,000+ there right? Good luck finding them. I suggest the PA system and ask them to pick up the white courtesy phone.

HeatherC
12-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Kirsten-
I just asked the question about shooting with the pros and someone who took it last year said to bring the camera.

CindyShaver
01-03-2010, 02:55 AM
So, yes for shooting with the pros and no for regular convention?

David_Dismukes
01-04-2010, 02:10 AM
For most of the programs, PPA does not allow photography or videography.

kdixon
01-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Ok.. then Yes for Speed Shooting and No for lugging around all day.

scares me knowing that people know this is a photog conference and that all the vehicles probably have cameras in them!! Let's see.. park where there is a lot of traffic and light ?:)

Cindy and Heather.. look for me there!

HeatherC
01-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Looking forward to meeting you guys at Speed Shooting :)

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Keith I am so glad you mentioned the photographing of others prints! That was the number one most shocking thing I saw at my first convention 4 years ago! I could not believe people actually directly shot other people's images, for "inspiration" I guess? But OMG, you can't do that anywhere else in the world! No gallery, studio, drawing class, etc. would not think that was strange given all the talk about "originality" and oh yeah that thing called "copyright"! They even blur the images on the walls on HGTV unless they have permission to show them on TV! It almost made me reject the entire PPA enterprise because, as an artist first, and a PPA member way later, my sense of right was seriously assaulted. Now I realize 90% of folks never do anything with those shots, but hey, how many umbrella images from San Antonio appeared at the PRint Exhibit the last 2 years? Don't you think some people thought, oh I've got one kind of like that--I'll photo this one that merited and see if I can make mine work?

OTOH, GOL's policy is ridiculous at a photog's convention, but the rest of the year when they're dealing with folks using their property as a set, it makes sense. To the question at hand, a p-s is fine for the floor, but I always travel with my real gear anyway. It's insured, I keep it in my room (don't tell any thieves!), and I almost always come home with at least one image that makes bringing my gear worth the trouble (usually has nothing to do with the convention though, just the location). I don't bring it to classes or the expo though--

E