PDA

View Full Version : 2010 International Competition dates?

Christine_Walsh-Newton
12-05-2009, 01:21 AM
I know it's early - I can't find the dates anywhere and would like to block it out on my calendar.

Also, will it be in Atlanta again?

Thanks!

Rick_Massarini
12-05-2009, 03:26 AM
I know it's early - I can't find the dates anywhere and would like to block it out on my calendar.

Also, will it be in Atlanta again?

Thanks!

The dates I was given (at the end of this years judging) to block out on my calendar for 2010 are June 12-17, 2010 - of course, I'm always there a day early for setup and usually leave the day after just in case things run long. I haven't heard anything officially changing those dates, so I'm assuming that the dates haven't changed - but don't hold me to the dates as PEC may have changed them and not informed me. Saturday June 12 is our setup day with the Judging starting on Sunday June 13. The judging should run through Wednesday with final pack-up (if there are no big problems and all goes well) being late Wednesday June 16. I was told that it would be held at the same location as last year in Lawrenceville - just NE of Atlanta.

Are you planning to volunteer to be a print handler or just planning to visit as an observer? If you plan to volunteer to be a print handler, please contact Jim Dingwell (PEC Administrator) and let him know your wishes. If you need his email address, send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

Keith_A_Howe
12-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Note the dates Rick gave are the actual judging dates, NOT the entry deadline, just so no one makes any mistakes on submissions.

Rick_Massarini
12-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Keith is correct - and I may have misunderstood Christine's question. Since she was going to block it out on her calendar, I assumed that she was planning on attending the judging - (probably because she wanted to listen to Keith judge). The deadline for submissions is significantly earlier than the dates that I listed, and those deadlines, to my knowledge, have not yet been set. If I hear of print submission deadlines, I will let you know.

Also - remember that at the International Judging, there are NO hand carried print cases accepted at the actual judging. All print cases MUST be shipped to Jim Dingwell in Lincoln, NE. If you show up at the Judging in June with your print case and your prints, it will NOT be accepted. Print cases are unpacked and the prints are logged into the computer in Lincoln. Only the prints will be brought to Lawrenceville (the cases stay in Lincoln), and only those prints that were logged in back in Lincoln will be judged. NO HAND CARRIED PRINT CASES ARE ACCEPTED AT THE ACTUAL JUDGING IN JUNE.

But if you're interested in volunteering to be a print handler, I would not wait until the last minute to put my name in - last year we had a lot of volunteers, so the print handler positions may go to the first to send their names in to Jim Dingwell !!!

Christine_Walsh-Newton
12-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Thank you for the information. Yes, I wanted to attend and needed to know the dates to be unavailable for weddings. I understand that the print cases need to be sent in well ahead of that. Thanks for the volunteer info - I hadn't thought that far ahead, yet.

Keith_A_Howe
12-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Rick, The last time I talked to Jim about print crew was back when I received my invite to judge this year. He was already full at that time about a month ago . I think he might have a wait list if anyone is interested but at this point I think he is not taking on anymore helpers. You and I both know it's almost worse to have too much help then it is to not have enough. So anyone that wants to work crew should probably put their name in for 2011. Also if you have never worked a print crew for a large state or regional then you might want to get your feet wet there before you volunteer at national. Holly said both times she worked national judging there is an assumption you have a basic knowledge of how it all works. So if you haven't worked a larger judging before, you would be at a disadvantage.

Keith

Rick_Massarini
12-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Last year we had a large number of students from the photography department of the College as volunteers. They were very enthusiastic and did a great job. I know that Jim was expecting a good number of students to volunteer again this year, so that's why I suggested that she call him in advance. From my perspective, having too many people wanting to volunteer is a problem that I would love to have every year. It's such a great educational experience, I don't know why so few avail themselves of the opportunity of being a print handler at the national judging. I truly believe that it could be one of the greatest educational opportunities that you could ever experience.

Christine - see the PM