PDA

View Full Version : Merits for attendance

jilllove
11-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Do you earn merits attending classes at Imaging USA?

Michael_Gan
11-23-2009, 05:32 PM
You will receive one service merit for attending IUSA.

Mark_Levesque
11-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Additional merits are possible if you take the pre-convention classes (you pay extra for those.)

Jeff_Dachowski
11-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Or..you could volunteer and I believe you can earn a service merit for that as well.
Jeff

Linda_Gregory
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Yes, the year I attended I had scheduled to help put up the print display. While there, I offered to take down, also. I did not expect a second merit but got one so....got three for that week.

Ed_Sharp
11-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Do you earn merits attending classes at Imaging USA?

To see what merits can be earned from the pre convention classes, you can click on "more info" on the list of pre con classes here http://imagingusa.org/classes/#preSEPCON

Phillip_Colwart
01-19-2010, 04:16 AM
Where do I look on the PPA website to see how many merits I have earned? Can't find it...

David_Capano
01-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Where do I look on the PPA website to see how many merits I have earned? Can't find it...

Phillip,

When you log in at www.ppa.com, you should see a section on the left hand side of the screen (you must be logged in to see this) with links like 'My Merits,' 'Edit My Membership Record' etc... Click on My Merits to display (and possibly print) your merit record.

Missy50
01-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Mine show 0 merits. They may not have had time to log them in.

KirkDarling
01-19-2010, 02:50 PM
You will receive one service merit for attending IUSA.

Michael,

There really needs to be more detailed information on the website about those things. It needs to be something like a college catalog: Detailed requirement lists and detailed lists of courses/events and the merits they provide.

Also, there is a distinction between merits and educational credits (for CPP continuing education requirements) that should be made clear. The events/courses that provide educational credits should also be specified.

Finally, the page describing the degrees should be more inclusive of all the awards. Right now, the only information I've been able to find has been on the Awards and Degrees Ceremony page of Imaging.

There should also be photographs somewhere on the site of the different awards and degrees so that everyone can identify all that "bling" around your neck.

It helps inspire to aspire when people can see what they're supposed to be inspired to aspire toward.

Joe_Campanellie
01-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Just what I need...more merits !

It's a pretty easy system to understand...each degree has it's own colored ribbon. When you see people with multi colored ribbons then it signifies that they have multiple PPA degrees.

Master Photographer - gold ribbon
Craftsman - blue ribbon
Master Artist - white ribbon
Master of EI - red

Then each state has it's own degree system and it's own colored ribbons on top of all that. You just have to assume that when you see someone with a lot of bling that they have worked pretty hard to get where they are. Orin my case...bought some stuff on ebay... :) !

KirkDarling
01-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Just what I need...more merits !

It's a pretty easy system to understand...each degree has it's own colored ribbon. When you see people with multi colored ribbons then it signifies that they have multiple PPA degrees.

Master Photographer - gold ribbon
Craftsman - blue ribbon
Master Artist - white ribbon
Master of EI - red

Then each state has it's own degree system and it's own colored ribbons on top of all that. You just have to assume that when you see someone with a lot of bling that they have worked pretty hard to get where they are. Orin my case...bought some stuff on ebay... :) !

Even what you've said here is not on the website anywhere. Then you've got the excellence bars, and the Star Trek arrowheads, et cetera.

How is someone to know which ones to buy off eBay if there's no list? Nobody wants to spend good money on an award that isn't the best.

Phillip_Colwart
01-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Found my merits... thanks! Yes, they have not updated our merit report yet for attending the 2010 I-USA.

Missy, if you attended Imaging USA and it's your first ever merit, you may get a certificate in the mail acknowledging your having earned a merit.

You bet, Kirk. But it's also a learning experience to walk up to someone with all those awards to ask what it all means. This encourages the human side of earning merits/degrees - the why, not just the what or how.

I'd like to know how many and what type of merits are required for each degree. Didn't see that stated anywhere...

Missy50
01-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks Phillip, I am not worried about it. Records, checks and balances takes time. I think I get one point. I might get something for a precon. Not sure as it was not but 3.5 hours.

I heard reports of 7000 all the way up to 10.5k in attendance. 1+ points each and someone has to key or scan it all in.... Takes time.

Phillip_Colwart
01-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Yes, attendance broke 10,000... it was great!

Joe_Campanellie
01-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Imaging Excellence is for 13 loan prints. I think that has to be above your master's degree...I think. Not sure on that point. Once you get your first 13 you get a different colored medallion (black) with a diamond in the center.

Each 13 after that you get a bar.

The arrowheads are for photographer of the year. Each has a different level and different designation. From meriting all four prints up to the diamond which is the highest for all four prints going loan.

Master's Degree 13 print merits and 12 service or speaking or judging merits for a total of 25

Craftsman Degree 13 speaking merits with another 12 from other sources such as above for a total of 25

EI Degree 13 EI print merits with the other 12 from a variety of service, speaking, and judging for a total of 25.

Each 25 after that you get a gold bar.

That's the short version...

Phillip_Colwart
01-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks, Joe... I had better get going on those speaking merits. I'd like to get my Craftsman degree in a few years.

My next question is, how can I keep my Certification w/o taking the exam again?

Michael_Gan
01-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Phillip, keep attending Imaging USA! If you go each year during your 5 years, you will have enough Continuing Education Units (CEU) to recertify! You can also list your attendance with any conventions (State, local, and even WPPI!).

Also, and we're going to nag this to death, remember that Certification is no longer a part of PPA, but rather the CPPC (Certified Professional Photography Commission).

Lorrie_Kennedy
01-23-2010, 06:30 PM
remember that Certification is no longer a part of PPA, but rather the CPPC (Certified Professional Photography Commission).

Michael, does that change anything specific for those wanting to become certified?

Michael_Gan
01-24-2010, 07:40 AM
No, the standards for certification is the same. Actually, Certified has been separate from PPA for quite some time. What's confusing is that there has been a sort of "cross breeding" of PPA members with certification. We are now trying to make it clear that Certifieds are not "PPA Certified" because this has not been true for quite a few years now.

Phillip_Colwart
01-31-2010, 02:34 AM
Well, dang- I just finally added CPP info to the back of my business card:

"...certified by the Professional Photographers of America."

Oh, well...

Okay on the Continuing Education Units... I have nine merits, I think... that should get me by.

Ed_Sharp
02-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I was reading vital signs and remembered this thread and thought I would post the link to this article, in case anyone missed it. This gives detailed information about what is need for each degree.
http://www.ppa.com/articles/310/Vital-Signs-Merits-and-Degrees-How-You-Get-There.php

Ed_Sharp
02-07-2010, 03:34 PM
...and I just checked my "Myppa" page and noticed they have added the merits for IUSA 2010

ninabeheim
02-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Interesting degree discussion - I joined last year, taking my CPP in March, and heading for the Master, and eventually Craftsman degrees.

I noticed a degree no one has spoken of... MASTER ARTIST. See here:
http://www.ppa.com/findaphotographer/degrees.php#DiffDegrees

Photographic Craftsman
Master of Photography
Master Artist
Master of Electronic Imaging

Now, I checked out the link Ed Provided and guess what? Master Artist isn't there! Anyone know what's up with this?

Additionally, ASSUMING I host 2 Super Mondays a year, and Present a program at my State conf. (which I assume would be an affiliate program) and am LUCKY enough to get an article published... I might pull off six meits in one year - if I got REALLY lucky!!!
I would just like to understand more about creating opportunities and finding ways to share/present - make the degree more of a reality. I'm more than willing to work for it, just wish there were more ops to speak/teach. Are there no other ways to gain these points outside of Super Mondays, and/or Prof. Photog magazine articles? My state's newsletter is sewn up... :O) I'm looking for opportunities to help with IUSA to gain points also...

I have a background in corporate training, and am comfy in front of a crowd and LOVE LOVE LOVE to teach.
Thanks!

(BTW - I had planned to add the CPP info just like Phillip did when I get the official nod... Glad I read this post!)

Rick_Massarini
02-14-2010, 02:56 AM
Interesting degree discussion - I joined last year, taking my CPP in March, and heading for the Master, and eventually Craftsman degrees.

I noticed a degree no one has spoken of... MASTER ARTIST. See here:
http://www.ppa.com/findaphotographer/degrees.php#DiffDegrees

Photographic Craftsman
Master of Photography
Master Artist
Master of Electronic Imaging

Now, I checked out the link Ed Provided and guess what? Master Artist isn't there! Anyone know what's up with this?

Additionally, ASSUMING I host 2 Super Mondays a year, and Present a program at my State conf. (which I assume would be an affiliate program) and am LUCKY enough to get an article published... I might pull off six meits in one year - if I got REALLY lucky!!!
I would just like to understand more about creating opportunities and finding ways to share/present - make the degree more of a reality. I'm more than willing to work for it, just wish there were more ops to speak/teach. Are there no other ways to gain these points outside of Super Mondays, and/or Prof. Photog magazine articles? My state's newsletter is sewn up... :O) I'm looking for opportunities to help with IUSA to gain points also...

I have a background in corporate training, and am comfy in front of a crowd and LOVE LOVE LOVE to teach.
Thanks!

(BTW - I had planned to add the CPP info just like Phillip did when I get the official nod... Glad I read this post!)

You won't find the Master Artist requirements on the web site since the degree is no longer available. Master Artist was a degree for Artists and retouchers working in "conventional" media - those being pencils, oils, dyes, etc. As conventional retouching and artwork has been replaced by digital artwork, the Master Artist degree has been replaced by the Master of Electronic Imaging degree. Interest in the conventional Art-Tech competition waned and the last year it was offered, there were no entrants in the Art-Tech category. Art-Tech merits were required for the Master Artist degree.

There are a lot of ways to earn merits within PPA. You already know about merits for speaking at conventions, Super Mondays, and articles in the Professional Photographer magazine. You can also earn service merits by volunteering to work at the PPA National Convention assisting the Program Talent and assisting the staff do other necessary jobs to run the convention. You can also receive a (1) service merit for serving as a member of the PPA Council for your state. If you become your State association's President or State Convention Chairman, you receive 2 PPA service merits for your service to the profession by leading your state association (but no one takes on these kinds of jobs just for the merits, since being a PPA Councilor or an Association President or Convention Chairman takes up a heck of a lot of your time). If you are selected to be a judge at one of the annual state convention print competitions, you will receive a merit for that service. Another opportunity is to volunteer to work at the PPA International Print Judging, or at the convention putting up and taking down the print exhibit. There are lots of opportunities to earn PPA merits, but accumulating merits is not a quick thing - it takes time and dedicated service...

Joe_Campanellie
02-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah...my wife considers herself kind of a dinosaur. She still loves the conventional mediums such as oils. She does some painter but still likes the feel and look of traditional artwork.

zmierski
06-24-2010, 01:40 AM
I attended WPPI (gasp) in 2008 and 2009. Is it possible to get a merit for that? Is there a form to fill out? What is the process... Thanks

Joe_Campanellie
06-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Don't think so...WPPI and PPA are two separate organizations with their own separate degree programs.

But I could be wrong.

Keith_A_Howe
06-24-2010, 02:24 AM
WPPI is NOT a part of PPA, so no you cannot get a merit for attending their conventions.

Keith

zmierski
06-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the responses. I thought I heard that you could get continuing education credits (apparently not merits) for attending WPPI. What about a 2day class with Bambi Cantrell?...I'm just trying to figure out if I'm putting my professional development in the most beneficial area for merits, etc. I did get a merit for attending NILMDTS training. I didn't find a place on the PPA web site that makes it really clear what training qualifies and how you request credit. Thanks

metro_jm
02-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Additional merits are possible if you take the pre-convention classes (you pay extra for those.)

I attended imaging and was credited the merit for that but I also attended a pre convention class (NILMDTS) and that merit has not been credited. Do you know how I get that resolved?
Thanks!!

GregYager
02-26-2011, 01:27 AM
NILMDTS will have to turn their paperwork in before you will get it. They had back to back conferences so it may take them a bit.

suebird
02-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Is there a form you can fill out as well for past courses attended?

GregYager
03-01-2011, 03:22 PM

I'm pretty sure these have to be turned in in a timely manner so I don't think there is a process for retroactive merits.

Linda_Gregory
03-01-2011, 03:30 PM

You may wish to contact PPA, I think there is a time limit for them but you also must have it documented by the person who had the program.

Linda_Gregory
03-01-2011, 03:30 PM
And you must have been a member of PPA at the time of the class.

Keith_A_Howe
03-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Not every class, workshop, seminar or course qualifies for merits.

Keith

suebird
03-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Just FYI, for those who bought a pass from someone who could not attend IUSA, it may be that you need to let PPA know that you went and not the person who you bought the pass from in order to get your merits. This was the issue with merits not showing on my profile.

Michael
03-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Just a clarification on the Master Artist Degree. This year at council, the Master Artist Degree was revived. It will take over the Master of Electronic Imaging Degree starting immediately. What this means is, if you are a current Master EI, you can choose to change to the designation Master Artisit, M.A., or keep the M.E.I., designation. If you are working towards a MEI degree you have 24 months to complete the MEI degree. If it takes you longer, you will be awarded the Master Artist degree with no choice. You can choose one or the other, but you can not use both unless you earned the Master Artist, white ribbon and the MEI, red ribbon.

Keith_A_Howe
03-07-2011, 03:10 AM
Michael, I am not sure why you posted this on this thread? I think maybe you meant to post it elsewhere? Like on the "Clarification Please" thread?

Keith