PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth staying at the Gaylord Opryland? Anyone staying elsewhere?

Zoolander
11-22-2009, 12:51 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on staying at one of the other less expensive hotels down the road? Is paying a couple hundred extra worth the convenience?
After taxes the Gaylord Opryland will run around $204 a night(including parking and facility fee)

Thanks.

phildogbph
11-22-2009, 01:49 AM
This is my first trip to Imaging USA so I can't really speak for all the surrounding areas. But I know that I couldn't afford the trip & the hotel so I decided to stay at the Fiddlers Inn (http://www.fiddlers-inn.com/).

Not sure about the place, but I was quoted $64 a night & I couldn't find a decent looking motel that matched that price. The receptionist told me I was within 2 blocks of the convention center.

Hope that helps!

Cheri_MacCallum
11-22-2009, 12:28 PM
We're staying at the Marriott right down the road on points!

George_Hawkins
11-22-2009, 01:02 PM
I went on priceline, and did some other research. I have a changable reservation at about $65. I could use some points (not Marriott), but I think it'd be too long to walk. I have walked to/from conventions in recent past.

Keith_A_Howe
11-22-2009, 03:28 PM
We like staying at the convention hotel. Usually a lot of people hanging around in the lobby or restaurants. Some of the best education we have ever recieved at IUSA has come from those pick up conversations just hanging out in the hotel. I have also discovered that two blocks in and around a major convention center is nothing like two blocks around here - it's a long walk, especially after being on your feet in a trade show most of the day. Plus it's not so convenient to run back to your room to dump trade show stuff off before you go to dinner, grab a jacket if you need one - etc etc. Every time we have stayed elsewhere we ended up regretting it. But you may find differently.

Keith

GenaTP10
11-22-2009, 03:41 PM
I found all sorts of Hotels and if you want a cleans, safe place that is significantly lower, check Priceline..I got a really good deal on a place I have stayed before and it's only 10 minutes from conference...how's $55 a night sound?

Michael_Gan
11-22-2009, 03:48 PM
To add to Keith, if anyone was at Imaging at San Antonio, anyone will tell you that we all had to take a cab just to go a few blocks because of the ice storm. We stayed at the Westin and had to get a cab for the awards ceremony/party! I hear Nashville gets really cold so having the hotel, socials and convention self-contained in one place will be great!

Joe_Galioto
11-22-2009, 04:07 PM
I stayed at the Gaylord at the last convention held there
it was worth it. it's a great hotel!
and always best to be a the host hotel for the reasons already stated.
Joe

Missy50
11-22-2009, 06:10 PM
To add to Keith, if anyone was at Imaging at San Antonio, anyone will tell you that we all had to take a cab just to go a few blocks because of the ice storm. We stayed at the Westin and had to get a cab for the awards ceremony/party! I hear Nashville gets really cold so having the hotel, socials and convention self-contained in one place will be great!

When was that Michael?

Michael_Gan
11-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Two years ago (2007). We have some cool (no pun) images of the Alamo with icicles hanging off of it.

Rick_Massarini
11-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Yeah, 2007 was a really cool convention. Everyone was frozen in and had to stay over for at least a day or two after the convention was over - flights were canceled, the roads were closed, and the day after the convention closed, everyone was either at the Alamo or at the mall across the street killing time since no one could get out - even the boats on the Riverwalk were closed. We drove in and the roads between San Antonio and Houston were closed due to the ice storm. South Texas is just not set up to handle ice storms...

Tss1203
11-22-2009, 08:50 PM
We are debating whether to attend Imaging or not. If we do, we will be staying at a different hotel. There is just no way we could swing the trip if we were staying at the hotel.

Missy50
11-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Nashville is known for cooler weather and some ice and snow. I have booked at the Gaylord, but my roomie wants to stay somewhere cheaper.

The Opryland Hotel itself is very spread out. You almost need to leave breadcrumbs & carry a map. The campus is very broad. Not sure I would want to walk from another hotel.

Does the $8-9 a day parking apply to only those staying at the Gaylord Opryland or does it apply to all Imaging attendees?

George_Hawkins
11-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I'll check their website on parking, as I plan to drive and stay elsewhere, where parking is no added charge. I hope I will be 1/2 mile or less, although I have walked a mile at other conventions. To me, getting out in the natural air is worth it.
In San Antonio, I had decent footwear (no tennis shoes) and did walk about quarter mile to my hotel; I was lucky, my flight out did go.

PS: For convenience to all the convention events, it can be very convenient to stay at the convention hotel. My personal opinions! It's difficult to decide, especially if one has roommate the net costs are almost same.

Joe_Campanellie
11-23-2009, 01:06 PM
We like staying at the convention hotel. Usually a lot of people hanging around in the lobby or restaurants. Some of the best education we have ever recieved at IUSA has come from those pick up conversations just hanging out in the hotel. I have also discovered that two blocks in and around a major convention center is nothing like two blocks around here - it's a long walk, especially after being on your feet in a trade show most of the day. Plus it's not so convenient to run back to your room to dump trade show stuff off before you go to dinner, grab a jacket if you need one - etc etc. Every time we have stayed elsewhere we ended up regretting it. But you may find differently.

Keith

I second that...big time...!

I remember staying at one of the off site hotels at one of the Texas conventions. The receptionist told us that the convention site was just a few blocks. Well...I guess their idea of a short walk and few blocks was a lot different than mine. Was more like a hike over the river and through the town...!

Tell that to your wife who was in heels for some of the specialty receptions too. So...we try to stay in the host hotels now. Much more convenient and a lot of access to people we don't get to see very often.

Michael_Gan
11-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Nashville is known for cooler weather and some ice and snow. I have booked at the Gaylord, but my roomie wants to stay somewhere cheaper.

The Opryland Hotel itself is very spread out. You almost need to leave breadcrumbs & carry a map. The campus is very broad. Not sure I would want to walk from another hotel.

Does the $8-9 a day parking apply to only those staying at the Gaylord Opryland or does it apply to all Imaging attendees? Check with PPA. There is a special $5 package that includes a lot of amenities like the fitness room, and do believe parking, but check with PPA.

Ed_Sharp
11-23-2009, 10:46 PM
If you have the money I think it would be well worth it to stay at the on site hotel. As mentioned before, walking the trade show(plus hauling all the trade show freebees around) can be very tiring. Last year I stayed off site at a cheap motel that was.8 mile(8/10 of a mile) from the convention center and it was a pain to walk back and forth and about a 20 minute walk. Even Phoenix can be chilly at 7am, I'm sure Nashville will be less than toasty. If you are not comfortable walking city streets at night, that is something to consider also as the activities will take you well past sunset.

That being said, I don't currently have the cash to spend on a room at the Gaylord and I snore too loud to have a room mate;). I have a reservation at a dive .8 mile from the convention center. I don't think it is that great of a place, it has mixed reviews, but the AAA rate I booked was is only$53.99 + taxes per night ($58.49 for 2 weekend days) and I have a fully refundable deposit there. I am still not 100% sure I can swing even this, for me it will be a game time decision as well, even though I already bought a non refundable Air ticket to Nashville:eek: .

If you punch in the addresses in Google earth you can see what the walk would be like from the area motels. The are some street views of the area too.

I originaly posted the name of the hotel I had reserved, but have deleted that info because I just realized this is an open forum and having a real name, address and reservation details posted didn't seem like a good idea.:o

phildogbph
11-24-2009, 12:10 AM
There is a mall directly on the south side of the area that has a corner lot that is close to the convention center. I am hoping to park and walk from there as long as it is accessible from Gaylord Opry...

Missy50
11-24-2009, 01:37 AM
There is a mall directly on the south side of the area that has a corner lot that is close to the convention center. I am hoping to park and walk from there as long as it is accessible from Gaylord Opry...

All that parking was under construction last Feb/March. I hope that is finished.

phildogbph
11-24-2009, 01:43 AM
All that parking was under construction last Feb/March. I hope that is finished.

FANTASTIC! hahaha, that would definitely be MY luck.

Thanks for the heads up!

Michael_Gan
11-24-2009, 02:47 AM
Just checked. Parking is $9 per day self-parking (California standards, that's really cheap). Here's what you get for $5 per night extra:

Resort Fee
$5.00 per day, per room (75% off the standard rate; posted to your bill upon check-in). In exchange for this nominal fee, you are entitled to:

High-speed Internet access
Bottled water (two per room per day)
Scheduled, within-complex shuttle transportation
Daily newspaper delivery (USA Today M-F/Tennessean Sat-Sun)
Local phone calls up to 20 minutes ($.10/minute thereafter)
Toll-free and credit card calls up to 20 minutes ($.10/minute thereafter)
Full use of the fitness center