PDA

View Full Version : CC Pleeeze

mari_latozas
11-15-2009, 09:25 PM
I was hoping to get some input on these two images of my brides. I was wondering if the image of the bride on the staircase can work with the
hot spot on the lower left? Or does it need to be removed/toned down?

Also, the bride waiting in the entrance way....is it worthy of entering?
Thanks,
Mari

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq150/marippa/onherway_2.jpg

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq150/marippa/waiting_2.jpg

Joe_Galioto
11-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Mari,
beuatiful moody light on both.
but each image has problems that the judges won't overlook.
in the first one her back and right shoulder are awkward & fr the waist down she looks shorted.
the 2nd pose: would be better if her face was turned in a full profile.
Joe

Keith_A_Howe
11-16-2009, 12:24 AM
I like the first one. I agree with Joe that she is shortened but it makes sense to me that it's because her dress is trailing up the steps behind her. I would tone down that hot spot on the floor but the light coming from the ceiling fixture is fine - leave it as is. I would suggest cropping off a bit of the top - about where the top edge of the C in the copyright symbol is. then I would slide the image up on the board so her face is aprox. at the thirds intersection. Title - once again I asked Holly and she says "He's Waiting". What makes this print more impactful for me is the subtle shadow pattern cast on the wall and how it exactly meets up with the bottom of the stair railing behind her- to frame her out and trap your eye right into the subject. The stair rail in front of her that she has her hand on is creating a leading line from upper left to lower right - just the way your eye naturally reads into an image. Some other things that work - the mixed keys, which normally are a problem but here are well balanced and used in such a way to draw your eye to the subject - breaking the rule for a reason. Color harmony - notice how her warm skin tone pops out against the cool background. If this location has warm colored walls this image would not have worked as well because she would have blended into the wall color more. I feel it's a good choice to enter.

The second one I agree with Joe. We are straight into her back so not much curve or excitement added to her figure. The elbows are awkward and like Joe said we have lost her profile. You have other stuff that has more potential.

Keith

mari_latozas
11-16-2009, 02:31 AM
Thank you - thank you! I really appreciate both critiques. You are teaching me things I didn't know to look for. Some day it might all come together. :) I will work on the hot spot for "He's Waiting". That's a good title.
Again, thanks again for your input and time.
Mari