PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Rule #7 - Interpretation

Marc_Benjamin
11-03-2009, 05:03 AM
I know what the states, but just for clarity, can I need an official clarification on 2010 rule of eligibility #7

7. Entries previously merited at any PPA International Competition are not eligible including any image from a merited album.

*We're clear about the album part, want to know if "PPA International Competition" only applies to the one competition that we used to call "nationals" which was held in Florida this year.

Could there be any other interpretations of "PPA International Competitions" ?

Please advise.

---------
Background, I missed the deadline this year for nationals and I'm planning to re-run the same case (why not) through our regional's early next year. While I know sealed at regional's is not a merit. I'm just making sure on paper that merited at affiliate state can no way be interpreted as "PPA International Competition." Shouldn't be confusing but after the word "any" appears on #7 so just to be sure...

Keith_A_Howe
11-03-2009, 02:27 PM
First of all, International ( more commonly refered to as nationals) is just that. It does not include or refer to any other competition. Not sure why that is confusing. I think when they say any - they don't mean various competions but any years.

That being said, I am confused, or maybe I am not. It sounds like you entered the case at regional and didn't send it on to national in 2009. So now you are planning to "re-run" that same set of prints at regionals in 2010? My biggest question here is why? Why enter the same set of prints at regionals again unless you don't want the expense of printing 4 more. Why not enter 4 new prints and then choosing from the 4 from last year and the 4 new ones, pick the best outta those 8 and send them on to national. If this was just a typo and you didn't mean send it back to regionals again and what you really meant was send it to national ( knowing any seals are expired) then sure why not.

I have a call in to Helen to get a definitive answer but I think she is teaching today so it might be a bit before I hear back. So until then, here is my gut feeling with the disclaimer that I could be way off base. If you entered it at regionals and it didn't seal, you probably have the option of reworking it and re-entering in another year and still being eligible for a seal and any regional awards that are given. I don't think a sealed (but never sent on to national) print can be re-entered and be eligible for a new seal. I am not sure about that though. What I don't think is it should be eligible for is any regional awards. Imagine this scenario. Two years ago I did real well at my region and took home Photographer of the Year for the region and some other stuff as well. Say I didn't send that case on for some reason. Could I re-enter that same case the next year and try to win some more awards on that same set of prints? And even if there was a lapse in the rules that didn't prevent it, would it be ethical? Personally I would have a hard time looking myself in the mirror if I did that. I would mark the back of the prints not eligible for awards - eligible for seals only. Like I said I could be all wrong, so this might be a moot point. I will post for sure when I hear.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
11-03-2009, 06:06 PM
I was correct. If a print receives a seal at a regional, it is considered to have "hung" in that competition and cannot be re-entered in that region again. If it was never sent on to national it can be sent the next year or at anytime in the future because it has never "hung" at national. Of course like you said, the seal does not count. Hope this is the information you were looking for.

Keith

Marc_Benjamin
11-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I was correct. If a print receives a seal at a regional, it is considered to have "hung" in that competition and cannot be re-entered in that region again.

Is this an actual regional rule (if it is where is it written) on paper or more just a general guideline?

I understand excluding the same print for regional awards but if the goal is just to recapture the seal then why would it be a problem?

*btw, you read my scenario right, I had a killer case for state/regional's but never sent it on to nationals so I'm planning to send the same case just to get them re-sealed.

Keith_A_Howe
11-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Marc,

The answer I gave you came from the PEC chairman. If you want it clarified further you can put it in writing, send it to Jim Dingwell at jdingwell@ppa.com and request it to be presented at the next PEC committee meeting.

On a personal note - do you really wanna be that kind of guy? Do you really want a reputation as a guy who tries to manipulate the system? Face it, you goofed when you didn't send it on. That's nobodies fault but your own. If you pursue this it's going to look like you are trying to make PEC the scrapegoat for your mistake. The fact that you even asked to see if you could do this shows that you knew it probably wasn't allowed. You can still send them to national and if they are killer like you say they are, you shouldn't need the seals.
Keith

Marc_Benjamin
11-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Marc,

The answer I gave you came from the PEC chairman. If you want it clarified further you can put it in writing, send it to Jim Dingwell at jdingwell@ppa.com and request it to be presented at the next PEC committee meeting.

On a personal note - do you really wanna be that kind of guy? Do you really want a reputation as a guy who tries to manipulate the system? Face it, you goofed when you didn't send it on. That's nobodies fault but your own. If you pursue this it's going to look like you are trying to make PEC the scrapegoat for your mistake. The fact that you even asked to see if you could do this shows that you knew it probably wasn't allowed. You can still send them to national and if they are killer like you say they are, you shouldn't need the seals.
Keith

I'm not sure how this situation could be interpreted as manipulating the system. Does PEC see that a little complexity with a new situation hints of manipulation? Are we that boxed in within the system that a slight deviation is frowned upon? Should people who missed sending them seals on to nationals be punished for not (or whatever reason) being able to start their pieces journey over?

There's simply no rule for it and I don't think having sealed once in a prior regionals gives the pieces any advantage if entered again at the same regionals. Now Merited I understand since it was likely judge a few times already and was already displayed.

Sealed like you said is not merited so it shouldn't really be a big deal.