PDA

View Full Version : Maternity Image - One More Time

ChontelleBrown
10-28-2009, 01:21 AM
This is an image I posted in another thread. This was not the original pose I posted. I wanted to post it again to get feedback as it sounded as if this would be the best image of the set.

My goal is loan. It sounded like this has potential to merit and could be used as a case filler.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.cottonblossoms.net/Anne0003.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
10-29-2009, 02:21 AM
Chontelle
I posted on this series before so I am waiting for Sam to have a chance here so you have more opinions. I am not trying to ignore or avoid you.
Keith

samgardnermcr
10-30-2009, 05:35 AM
Chontelle,
Again, thanks for posting an image here for review. I enjoy the first impact of this photo very much. I do see some elements that I think may distract jurors however. I can't quite tell from my screen but it appears that there may be no detail in the dark hair of the woman?? Some jurors will be distracted by the dark hair which seems to jut out of her face near her mouth. It might be better to eliminate that area of hair all together. I know it seems like such a small detail but her hair is so dark and her skin is so lovely and light in tone-that a lot of contrast is occurring right there. The viewers eye goes quickly to the areas of high contrast. Also, a small point but one that may be altered... the top of the fabric stretched out behind her is a fairly straight line... if it were to droop a bit it would better match the "curves" in the rest of the image to keep all the elements more feminine. I would also like to suggest that you mat the image on a cropped board and not print it full bleed to the edges...
I hope this helps you with direction for this image. I look forward to Keiths' thoughts as well.

ChontelleBrown
11-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Thank you Sam for taking time to give critique. I will pull the original file and check for detail in the hair. Keith mentioned on my original image, the hair looked blocked up, and know I think I understand what her meant (no detail). I will work on the other items you mentioned.

I just want to say that this is such a great benefit to those of us who are new to competition.

Thanks again,
Chontelle

samgardnermcr
11-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Chontelle,
I'm glad this area of the forum is a benefit to you and others. I am sure that Keith will agree with me that serving as a juror is a huge benefit to us because of how much we learn while judging. The whole system is a tremendous learning experience for those involved at all the levels. If you get the opportunity to serve as a print handler, reader, or juror, please jump at it. You will continue to gain knowledge from being involved with print competitions and it will improve your client work as well as your personal projects. Keep up the good work.
Sam Gardner M.Photog.Cr., CPP Int. Juror