PDA

View Full Version : SIZE DOESN'T MATTER in 2011

Sarah_Johnston
10-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Greeting friends of PPA's Photographic Competition. I have some exciting news for you all. Starting AFTER the 2010 International Photographic Competition in June 2010 ALL makers will be able to used the print size guidelines that right now are for Masters only! That's right NO MORE 16x20 only for non-Masters!!
PEC ( Photographic Exhibition Committee) for PPA has changed the rule this week. REMEMBER it does NOT go into effect until AFTER the next PPA International Judging in June next year. The reason is because there have already been Regional Competitions for the June Judging and it would not be fair for those that have already entered for seals.

Marc_Benjamin
10-24-2009, 03:55 AM
Would people be allowed to enter circles?

Keith_A_Howe
10-26-2009, 01:04 AM
Mark
Not trying to avoid you but wanted a difinative answer. Unfortunately I have not gotten a return call as yet. So here is my thoughts with out having a current set of rules in front of me. I believe you can enter circles or what ever shape you want (as a master for 2010 and everyone for 2011). It may not be displayed (if it merits) as it would need to be determined if it would be secure on the rods / racks and not risk damage to your or anyone else's image.
Like I said this is just my opinion based off of previous years rules. I know I have seen circles occasionally in the past and I think a triangle last year.
Keith

Linda_Gregory
10-26-2009, 01:34 AM
I do remember a triangle shape from a master a few years ago that went loan. It hung at HOA and IUSA in Tampa. Now, that shape was problematic but not sure if a circle would be easier, it might depend on the finished size of the circle?

Disclaimer...I am NO ONE! :)

Cheri_MacCallum
10-26-2009, 03:09 AM
That is exciting news! Wish I could have seen you in Atl! But we'll see you in Nashville for sure!

Keith_A_Howe
10-26-2009, 08:11 PM
I have a definitive answer. I was correct, you can enter circles. They will not be displayed in the exhibit if they cannot be hung safely - in other words if they are likely to slip out of the hooks and fall and get damaged or damage other prints. They will recieve whatever merits they earn. Remember the new rules take effect in 2011. the current rules continue through 2010.

Keith

John_Metcalfe
10-28-2009, 04:40 AM
Hey guys! The rules say "any size and shape" and they say "square inches". Can you figure square inches on rounded objects or chaotic shapes?

PPA Master of Photography Degree holders may submit images of any shape and size on a mount board a minimum of 80 square inches to a maximum of 480 square inches, with the largest dimension no longer than 24".

samgardnermcr
10-28-2009, 04:55 AM
Sure, it is quite easy to calculate the square inches of a circle as anyone who actually passed middle school math class surely remembers:
Area of a circle = 3.14 x r squared. where r = the radius of the circle.
Hope this helps!
As far as chaotic shapes go... break down the shapes into logical geometric pieces and calculate the square area of each and then add them together. If you are truly concerned, ask for help, or just don't make it so difficult for yourself.

mrbarton
10-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah John, it's just that whole Apple Pie thing and Pithy Grass stuff!

Michael_Gan
10-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Or, just get a 20x 24 and cut whatever shape you want out of it;)

John_Metcalfe
10-29-2009, 12:26 AM
This same message was on a different site and I would like you to see the conversations it sparked.

John

Hey Sarah,

This should spark some interesting discussion.

What are the length and width limits applied to current Masters?

What motivated the PEC to make this change?

Will this diminish some of the shine of being a Master?

After all, they have struggled through years of print comp in order to achieve the status of "not being bound by the 16x20 format".

Just a few thoughts as I drink my coffee this morning .

Here you go.

PPA Master of Photography Degree holders may submit images of any shape and size on a mount board a minimum of 80 square inches

to a maximum of 480 square inches, with the largest dimension no longer than 24".

Since 1999 (except for a small 5-7 year sabbatical) I have scratched my way to be able to be put into the master category. Now, in 2011 any body can do it.

A few years back they took away what I deemed to the necessary means to be deserving of getting your master degree. What next everybody gets a judges ribbon when you enter?

I thought it seemed like an odd arbitrary rule to begin with.

If the rule didn't further stipulate that the image is presented edge to edge then it's just a matter of convenience to the print crews

and helps subsidize the printing industry.. to me the "advantage" to the masters should have been offset by the subconscious more harsh judging done at competition...

I would certainly expect more from a master than the rest of us.. I would think that a level playing field should be... level.

You're right. It would level the playing field not to mention giving those images a better chance that are usually hindered by the board requirements.

Now after making that statement, why should it be fair?

The masters have already earned that right, haven't they?

Then just by changing the size isn't the image judged differently, questions asked are looked at with more intensity?

Now ask yourself, how many newcomers do you think would want to be subjected to this?

Yes, the rules will have changed, but how many judges will have changed to go along with the rules?

We are talking about seasoned veterans who are pretty set in their beliefs.

Yes, the governing board has made the decision to change.

Yes, it will allow people to be more creative with their presentations.

Yes, it will entice more people to stick their necks out and compete.

Yes, it will give more business to the printers and the mount board companies.

But in an ever homogenized field we are in, do you really think it will increase the scores and even the playing field or will it spotlight the gifted ones even brighter?

Not very often, ( if you have been around to notice ) only once in a while is there someone that comes along and knocks everyone off the hill.

It's the same people who again and again that are recognized, no matter what the changes or what trend is present.

Think about it, "The 12 elements". They are so subjective. How many people are already experiencing issues with them. Either a person gets it or they don't.

Now they are giving people even more options.

Keith_A_Howe
10-29-2009, 01:18 AM
John
Thanks for sharing but some of the comments seem out of context or disjointed like we are not getting the whole of the conversation. What is it you are trying to say, are you in favor or against the change? Why? What do you feel would be in the best intrest of the majority of the PPA membership? If your intent was a discussion, I think it would have been better on a different thread so that it was open for more opinions.
Keith

John_Metcalfe
10-29-2009, 02:58 AM
I just copied the string...

As far as the changes go, my opinions will have no effect the changes that have already been made.

The only thing I can do is utilize those changes in the competition to my fullest ability.

Keith_A_Howe
10-29-2009, 02:41 PM
As far as the changes go, my opinions will have no effect the changes that have already been made.

The only thing I can do is utilize those changes in the competition to my fullest ability.

John
This is true and a good attitude for the current situation. However if you have strong feelings or a well thought out idea that you think would be a benifit to PPA, the forum is a great place to sound it out and refine it. PEC does pay attention to the forum and truly does want to make the Photographic Competition better and stronger. By suggesting a different thread I was not trying to stifle you but wanted the conversation to go in an area where each post does not have to be "approved" to even show up. I just thought that there would be a more open and sharing discussion in a different section.
Keith